U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-18-2016, 03:25 PM
 
4,214 posts, read 1,606,641 times
Reputation: 287

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Write a script and men will follow it, even when in error.



My post is what the bible teaches--- so are you saying Gods inspired writers made errors, or is it that you just don't personally agree with truth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-18-2016, 03:27 PM
 
4,214 posts, read 1,606,641 times
Reputation: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Timothy316 View Post
Kjw, save your time my friend. These folks have made up their own translation rules from Greek to English. Those that do such things the Bible warns us at 1 Timothy 2:14, 16, 23 to avoid it. It's a waste of time and leads to nothing good. If they want to change the translation, let them have it. There has been enough defense of God's Word on this thread and if there is no agreement that the Bible has been accurately translated then there is no reason to discuss the Bible. Just as long as you're not falling for it my friend, that is all that matters.



I wouldn't fall for what they think is truth. I have learned well from Jesus' real teachers on earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2016, 03:55 PM
 
4,851 posts, read 1,621,580 times
Reputation: 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Timothy316 View Post
Kjw, save your time my friend. These folks have made up their own translation rules from Greek to English. Those that do such things the Bible warns us at 1 Timothy 2:14, 16, 23 to avoid it. It's a waste of time and leads to nothing good. If they want to change the translation, let them have it. There has been enough defense of God's Word on this thread and if there is no agreement that the Bible has been accurately translated then there is no reason to discuss the Bible. Just as long as you're not falling for it my friend, that is all that matters.


Actually it has been shown by numerous posters that those who believe in eternal torment have altered the original meanings of the words . To give the accurate original Greek isn't anything nefarious that is warned against in the Bible, it is simple proper linguistics . You misunderstand the words, so you err in your theology based on the mistranslated words. And in so doing present a Christ far less powerful , potent, and majestic than the one the Bible portrays
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2016, 04:34 PM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,825 posts, read 10,124,435 times
Reputation: 1305
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
My post is what the bible teaches--- so are you saying Gods inspired writers made errors, or is it that you just don't personally agree with truth?
Your posts are what the Jehovah Witnesses teach --- nothing more.
That is why JW's have their own version of the Bible** so as to make it say what you want it to.

** which btw is not recognized by any legitimate on-line Bible web site likes Bible Gateway \ Interlinear \ Blue Letter Bible etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2016, 06:06 PM
 
741 posts, read 292,982 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Your posts are what the Jehovah Witnesses teach --- nothing more.
That is why JW's have their own version of the Bible** so as to make it say what you want it to.

** which btw is not recognized by any legitimate on-line Bible web site likes Bible Gateway \ Interlinear \ Blue Letter Bible etc.
That would matter if you will agree with the translations at any of those sites. At least that would be something to work with. I have used the translations there and all of them have been shot down as inaccurate too.

So, do you agree with those translations at Bible Gateway or Bible Hub as legitimate and accurate?

I await your answer, but keep in mind, if your answer is no then your point is moot about the NWT. If you answer yes then you're theology is going to be shown as a lie using another translation.

I have not found anyone here that has a degree in Greek translation. Do you have a degree in Greek to English translation?

A refusal to answer with anything other than a yes or no answer will be accepted as a no answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2016, 06:23 PM
 
741 posts, read 292,982 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
I wouldn't fall for what they think is truth. I have learned well from Jesus' real teachers on earth.
From what I can tell of this universal salvation theology, it's another way for people to justify doing their own thing without repercussions. Its the same one that has been used for centuries. Only it's called predestination. They have predestined people to serve God if they want to or not. Though this one is a bit nicer than the old one. As we both know the old one only had certain people predestined for Heaven and some for hellfire, which of course is wrong. This one puts everyone in Heaven. It's wrong too, but more appealing and more dangerous. Just as the scriptures say, these kinds of fights over words lead to more and more ungodliness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2016, 06:55 PM
 
4,851 posts, read 1,621,580 times
Reputation: 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Timothy316 View Post
From what I can tell of this universal salvation theology, it's another way for people to justify doing their own thing without repercussions. Its the same one that has been used for centuries. Only it's called predestination. They have predestined people to serve God if they want to or not. Though this one is a bit nicer than the old one. As we both know the old one only had certain people predestined for Heaven and some for hellfire, which of course is wrong. This one puts everyone in Heaven. It's wrong too, but more appealing and more dangerous. Just as the scriptures say, these kinds of fights over words lead to more and more ungodliness.



So understanding what was said in the original language the Bible was written in is wrong if it disagrees with current teachings based on a misinterpretation of the original language by later Christians ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2016, 09:02 PM
 
741 posts, read 292,982 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
So understanding what was said in the original language the Bible was written in is wrong if it disagrees with current teachings based on a misinterpretation of the original language by later Christians ?
I think the most translations from Greek to English are accurate. I do not think they misinterpreted Greek to English.
Do you have a degree in translation from Greek to English to prove them wrong?

The question is about interpretation. Would you listen to an expert in Greek to English translation? Or are you only seeking a translator that agrees with your doctrine?

The tobacco companies at one time looked for doctors that supported that smoking was not dangerous. Who can we trust? Which one should we go with? The most accepted translations or the most rejected?

Is the truth not possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2016, 07:57 AM
 
38,535 posts, read 10,576,620 times
Reputation: 5048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Hi TRANSPONDER, I'm glad you get it. What I find interesting is that you, who by most "Christians" would consider you "hell bound" are the one who gets it and they don't.
That's because I go by what the Bible actually says and don't Interpret it to suit some personal belief of my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2016, 08:52 AM
 
4,851 posts, read 1,621,580 times
Reputation: 1578
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Timothy316 View Post
I think the most translations from Greek to English are accurate. I do not think they misinterpreted Greek to English.
Do you have a degree in translation from Greek to English to prove them wrong?

The question is about interpretation. Would you listen to an expert in Greek to English translation? Or are you only seeking a translator that agrees with your doctrine?

The tobacco companies at one time looked for doctors that supported that smoking was not dangerous. Who can we trust? Which one should we go with? The most accepted translations or the most rejected?

Is the truth not possible?

I would look to those early fathers who both understood the ORIGINAL Greek as a native tongue and who understood how that Greek was intended to be used regarding theology.

Eternal torment relies upon mistranslated Latin theology. That has been shown a number of times . Words have meaning, and when you misinterpret the word from Greek to Latin you change the meaning . And when you base your theology off of mistranslated words you inevitably err in your theology .

We are not talking about latter day New Age alterations . The Greek fathers understood universal reconciliation because that is what the Greek Bible teaches . Roman Catholics changed it to eternal torment because that is the way it read in the mistranslated Latin, plus it fit the Manicheistic philosophy of the Roman converts such as Augustine.

People who believe in UR have rediscovered the Ancient Greek meaning and theology of the early church and rejected the misunderstood Latin beliefs .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top