U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2016, 09:17 AM

741 posts, read 271,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That's because I go by what the Bible actually says and don't Interpret it to suit some personal belief of my own.
The funny thing is that both sides of this argument are accusing the other of the same thing. So one side is correct and one is wrong. One side is for sure translating the Greek to English to suit a personal belief. Who can settle it? A Greek to English expert? More than likely not. Why? Because then the other side will not except the other sides 'expert'. It's an impasse until both sides can agree on a Greek to English expert. So far I have tried online translation sites, the Greek to English dictionary and even Greek websites all which have been rejected by the other posters for the word 'eternal'. Where else is there to go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 01:16 PM

4,053 posts, read 1,453,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Your posts are what the Jehovah Witnesses teach --- nothing more.
That is why JW's have their own version of the Bible** so as to make it say what you want it to.

** which btw is not recognized by any legitimate on-line Bible web site likes Bible Gateway \ Interlinear \ Blue Letter Bible etc.

Now how can one possibly expect a trinity site to back a bible version that exposes their falseness?
This is why the JW,s have their own version--Daniel 12:4--- because some truth was hidden until these last days--the only way to share these revealed truths is by correcting all of the bad teachings that were in place for centuries, because no one on earth knew those truths until these last days--means every religion formed before these last days were in error, and so are their translations. Its easy to see who has made the corrections.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:20 PM

4,053 posts, read 1,453,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That's because I go by what the Bible actually says and don't Interpret it to suit some personal belief of my own.

That is what occurred centuries ago--Catholicism translators made many errors to fit false council teachings( dogmas) which carried over into every trinity translation ever made--all the originals were gone by the time anyone else translated--no one had a clue, except for heaven.Who assured all, that here in these last days--truth would become abundant( Daniel 12:4) --correction had to be made to the translating errors, and it has been-- The New world translation. And of course the ones live by the errors as truth, condemn the NWT and call the religion a cult, because truth exposes the ones in error and they will not accept being wrong enough to make correction themselves.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:52 PM

17,968 posts, read 12,430,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Timothy316 View Post
Kjw, save your time my friend. These folks have made up their own translation rules from Greek to English. Those that do such things the Bible warns us at 1 Timothy 2:14, 16, 23 to avoid it. It's a waste of time and leads to nothing good. If they want to change the translation, let them have it. There has been enough defense of God's Word on this thread and if there is no agreement that the Bible has been accurately translated then there is no reason to discuss the Bible. Just as long as you're not falling for it my friend, that is all that matters.
So what Bible translation do you use which you believe is better than a literal translation?

P.S. it seems to me that the one who has made up their mind is you.

You referenced 1 Timothy 2:14 which concerning Eve being deluded by the serpent and is concerning the differences between man and woman in its contextual setting. It has nothing to do with what we are discussing.
There is no 1 Timothy 2:16 or 23.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
The funny thing is that both sides of this argument are accusing the other of the same thing. So one side is correct and one is wrong. One side is for sure translating the Greek to English to suit a personal belief. Who can settle it? A Greek to English expert? More than likely not. Why? Because then the other side will not except the other sides 'expert'. It's an impasse until both sides can agree on a Greek to English expert. So far I have tried online translation sites, the Greek to English dictionary and even Greek websites all which have been rejected by the other posters for the word 'eternal'. Where else is there to go?
What is funny is the Concordant Literal New Testament did not translate or interpret AIWN or AIWNION. It just brings the two words directly over in their Anglicized transliterated form as "eon" and "eonian." So it can't be accused of improperly translating those two words.

What settles a meaning of any word, be it Greek or Hebrew is how the word is actually used.

Since the bible says all the eons will end, they therefore cannot be eternal. And since eonian is merely the adjectival form derived from its noun form eon it just has the basic duty of informing us of that which pertains to the eon or eons as the case may be.

Therefore there is no such critter as "eternal torment." Why? Because the word "eonian" is used and tells us the chastening or torment is only pertaining to the eon.

Now you can believe the rest of the Scriptures which inform us concerning God saving all, reconciling all,, heading up all in the Christ, making all alive and justifying all mankind (not only all believers).

Old 04-19-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
So what Bible translation do you use which you believe is better than a literal translation?

P.S. it seems to me that the one who has made up their mind is you.

You referenced 1 Timothy 2:14 which concerning Eve being deluded by the serpent and is concerning the differences between man and woman in its contextual setting. It has nothing to do with what we are discussing.
There is no 1 Timothy 2:16 or 23.
More importantly which literal translation would you accept? The majority do not translate as you do. The correct translation of the word eternal was correct before either you or I was born. It's not about who has made up there mind. There is truth and there is what is false.

PS I meant 2 Timothy.

If I were to get you answer from a person with a PHD in the Greek language concerning the word eternal would you except their answer? Yes or no answer please, anything less will be an automatic no.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:16 PM

12,913 posts, read 4,926,084 times
One can find support for almost any theological agenda in the Bible, depending on how it is interpreted. Threads like this are real-time proof.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:20 PM

4,851 posts, read 1,463,156 times
Quote:
More importantly which literal translation would you accept? The majority do not translate as you do. The correct translation of the word eternal was correct before either you or I was born. It's not about who has made up there mind. There is truth and there is what is false.

PS I meant 2 Timothy.

If I were to get you answer from a person with a PHD in the Greek language concerning the word eternal would you except their answer? Yes or no answer please, anything less will be an automatic no.
Since we can read actual Greek church fathers of the early church saying hell is not eternal and God will save all men and even Satan itself, what would the opinion of a Greek linguist in 2016 matter? You would trust that over the church fathers who spoke Greek as their native language and knew how the Greek was meant to be interpreted in regards to Christianity and salvation? Why? Because you could find one such person that would fit your needs? Would that then overrule the teachings of the Greek fathers?

Old 04-19-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Since we can read actual Greek church fathers of the early church saying hell is not eternal and God will save all men and even Satan itself, what would the opinion of a Greek linguist in 2016 matter? You would trust that over the church fathers who spoke Greek as their native language and knew how the Greek was meant to be interpreted in regards to Christianity and salvation? Why? Because you could find one such person that would fit your needs? Would that then overrule the teachings of the Greek fathers?
So the answer is a no then, got it. I can see your mind is shut on this issue. So be it.

So I'm curious though. There are other flaws though. Lets imagine what this world will be like. What will happen to all those that would rather die then serve the True God? Is there room for those that choose to not follow God and kill those that do in your future world? What if God takes away the ability to die or kill and those that hate God begin torturing others alive?

Last edited by 2Timothy316; 04-19-2016 at 02:44 PM..

Old 04-19-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
The word "eternal" should have no place in any bible. Then you really don't agree that usage determines a word's meaning. I accept a number of literal translations. But I do prefer the Concordant Literal New Testament. I already told you the Bible says all the eons end. So how can they be eternal?

Quote:
PS I meant 2 Timothy.

If that PhD'd linguist disagrees with the Bible, of course I wouldn't accept their misunderstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity