U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2016, 10:45 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,377,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I can think of all sorts of people who are dead who should not be respected. Teresa of Calcutta is one of them.
What a shocker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 11:07 PM

10,202 posts, read 5,744,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Too bad you have so much hate as well.
Hate? Not at all, just speaking the truth. That apparently is out in these PC times.

Consider:

You know what I'm seeing a lot of on this thread? Too many people standing up for Teresa without first doing some background on her. In reality they're not standing up for Teresa, they're standing up for her public image, because if they knew the real Teresa, they'd be ashamed to associate themselves with her

Now tell us why that statement is not valid from your perspective.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Not surprising that you and Nyaweh agree.

You, he, Eusie and Gldn have a lot in common.
So are you in love with what Teresa of Calcutta did, or are you in love with the idea of what you think she did? What are the facts, Trout? Why are you avoiding them?

Old 04-12-2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
What a shocker.
Yes, Teresa of Calcutta is a dead person who should not be respected. Pol Pot would be another. Stalin would also be one. They thought dying people who suffered were not an issue at all, just like Teresa.

So exactly, what part of what the image is of Teresa the Nun that you are concerned might be destroyed? Why won't you look at what she really did, especially what she could have done with all that money.

Don't let yourself be so spoon fed on this issue.

Last edited by cupper3; 04-12-2016 at 11:34 PM..

Old 04-12-2016, 11:12 PM

23,406 posts, read 12,106,237 times
Quote:
So are you in love with what Teresa of Calcutta did, or are you in love with the idea of what you think she did? What are the facts, Trout? Why are you avoiding them?
I don't avoid them.

I see beyond them.

You cannot.

It's what keeps you a fundie.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I don't avoid them.

I see beyond them.

You cannot.

It's what keeps you a fundie.
So, explain how you can accept the use of unsterilized needles? How do you see beyond that? How can you accept that no palliative care beyond warehousing occurred? How do you see beyond that? How can you accept that the millions raised were used for convents, and not patients? How do you see beyond that?

Old 04-13-2016, 12:08 AM

20,187 posts, read 12,843,714 times
Penn & Teller is pretty hilarious. On Their tape they say Mother Theresa isn't even her real name, so what is she hiding. Pure ignorance. The religious always change their name when they join their orders. They just need to go away before they embarrass themselves even more. I didn't know some were so ignorant.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:10 AM

20,187 posts, read 12,843,714 times
Quote:
So, explain how you can accept the use of unsterilized needles? How do you see beyond that? How can you accept that no palliative care beyond warehousing occurred? How do you see beyond that? How can you accept that the millions raised were used for convents, and not patients? How do you see beyond that?
Now you are just trolling since all these questions have been answered and you keep asking.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:22 AM

8,610 posts, read 5,127,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyawehNyoh View Post
A nun who admitted to spiritual counselors that she was unable to solidly believe in the existence of God is NOT better than most. She's deplorable.

You know what I'm seeing a lot of on this thread? Too many people standing up for Teresa without first doing some background on her. In reality they're not standing up for Teresa, they're standing up for her public image, because if they knew the real Teresa, they'd be ashamed to associate themselves with her.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
This is a complete nonsense--not a little bit of nonsense--complete, utter failure to understand true spirituality. Total confidence is something that only an uncritical mind is saddled with. As theologian Paul Tillich once wrote, "Doubt is not the opposite of faith, it is an element of faith." Doubt raises questions, and it is only when those questions are given a voice within us, that they can honestly be wrestled with. Faith is far more than belief, it is trust. Not even David was without his moments of doubt as he gave voice to in Psalm 13:1, "How long O Lord? Will you forget me forever?" And the rest follows with a series of questions--questions that can only come from people who trust, not just believe. David struggled with his own faith every bit as much as Mother Theresa.

Ask any Christian on the street today what it means to have faith, and he/she is likely to recite some sort of list of things he/she believes about Christ. The longer the list, the more "evidence" has been offered that "proves" that person's faithfulness. The more stubborn and obstinate the "faithful" person is, the more often they are considered a person of "deep faith." But what does any of that have to do about being a follower of Jesus? Nothing at all. But that is the kind of faith which dominates American Christianity--requiring the "faithful" to hold a set of "beliefs" that certain statements about the Bible, about Jesus as Christ, and church doctrine are "true."

But the earliest Christians referred to their movement as "The Way," and to those trying to live as disciples of Jesus as those following "the path." There were no creeds in the early days of Christianity. The definition of faith today is simply an intellectual assent to propositional statements--it is faith as a head trip. There is no need to "take up your cross and follow Me."

To say one believes in the virgin birth, or in a premillennial age, or in the Trinity, or the miracles of Jesus requires nothing in the way of a changed heart or a self-sacrificing spirit. For that matter, neither does saying one does not believe in any of these things. That kind of faith is impotent and has been destroying America for over a century now. No one needs to take up a cross to follow Jesus, just open up a book and say, "Yeah, I believe this stuff." It is a do nothing religion.

I notice the people who wish to criticize Mother Theresa never themselves left their homes at an early age to never see their families again, to live in poverty and humble conditions of those they ministered to, or be exposed to all the diseases that were rampant among those people of India whom she treated, and stayed with, and lived like. That's the kind of people I see on this thread--do nothings who wish to criticize someone who spent her entire life trying to make a difference, so that her "faith" was a LIVING thing, not an intellectual assent like the multitude of do nothing christians, or the agnostics/atheists just looking to justify themselves by denigrating those who poured out their lives, sometimes not in the best fashion, for other people.

What you and cupper should be is--ashamed of yourselves.

Please note that David's psalm does not end with answers, but neither does it end with suppressing the questions. Instead it closes with the decision to trust God on the basis of His character, with the knowledge of His faithfulness. The questions still linger for most of us today, even those pretending they have no questions. But it is the very questions that teach us what faith really is.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 04-13-2016 at 12:36 AM..

Old 04-13-2016, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Now you are just trolling since all these questions have been answered and you keep asking.
I object to you saying I'm trolling, because they have NOT been answered, they have been excused or ignored.

Show me where anyone answered them. You can't.

You're really in love the image of Teresa of Calcutta, not the reality, aren't you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or