U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2016, 11:10 AM

8,588 posts, read 5,117,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Er, the subject is not religion, which I would agree with you, but the non-actions and actions of a fraud.
You still have not provided a single link that shows MT herself was involved in fraud or mistreatment. Yet you continue to speak of her as an angel of hell.

That says much more about you than it does about her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 12:06 PM

10,202 posts, read 5,733,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
You still have not provided a single link that shows MT herself was involved in fraud or mistreatment. Yet you continue to speak of her as an angel of hell.

That says much more about you than it does about her.
I have, numerous times, and you ignored them.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:02 PM

8,825 posts, read 6,299,534 times
Quote:
Of course she is a saint; after all, she spent the millions she raised on her convents, which, in the catholic churches point of view, is what saints do, they promote the religion. Oh and apparently performed some miracle involving a tumor after she died. The one medical science actually got rid of. However, she apparently was not able to perform any miracles during her span on earth, instead, she raised millions under false pretenses. Very little ended up alleviating suffering of the dying, because, in her words, it was good for them to suffer like jesus.

What a horrible perspective, don't you agree?
A saint is a person that is honored and remembered by Catholics, no different than remembering George Washington or Thomas Jefferson.

She did the best she could and like Jefferson or Washington was not perfect.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:17 PM

5,509 posts, read 2,593,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
A saint is a person that is honored and remembered by Catholics, no different than remembering George Washington or Thomas Jefferson.

She did the best she could and like Jefferson or Washington was not perfect.
Thing is, to be canonized for something she didn't do is ridiculous. She was dead! How could she have removed a tumor? Secondly, she appears to have done little to alleviate the suffering of the people she was collecting money for. It's not OK to collect donations for the alleviation of suffering in Calcutta only to spend it elsewhere. That does not warrant canonization.

If that claim is false then it should be quite easy to disprove. Like showing us the hospitals and care facilities she built in Calcutta. The funny thing is, for all the reports of her good works in alleviating suffering, no actual photo's of her facilities were shown. Why is that?

Old 04-15-2016, 02:12 PM

1,506 posts, read 921,540 times
Quote:
Er, the subject is not religion, which I would agree with you, but the non-actions and actions of a fraud.
"Non actions"? What the heck is a "non action"? Your allegation sounds like a political charge from.... Stalinist Russia or Maoist China. Then again, I wonder what non actions President Obama is uhmmm...."guilty of"? Lets ask the Breitbart guys... .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Secondly, she appears to have done little to alleviate the suffering of the people she was collecting money for. It's not OK to collect donations for the alleviation of suffering in Calcutta only to spend it elsewhere. That does not warrant canonization.
The Indians gave her a state funeral. They might know a little about her accomplishments.

That aside, Mother Theresa used the donated monies to facilitate the charitable work of her order with out changing her sister's chosen way of life. The excess was donated to aother branch of her church. She never concealed this practice and the donations were voluntary. I just dont see the issue.

Last edited by Cryptic; 04-15-2016 at 02:24 PM..

Old 04-15-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
The Indians gave her a state funeral. They might know a little about her accomplishments.

That aside, Mother Theresa used the donated monies to facilitate the charitable work of her order with out changing her sister's chosen way of life. The excess was donated to another branch of her church. She never concealed this practice and the donations were voluntary. I just don't see the issue.
But we don't. We only have hearsay.

How could there have been an excess? People donated monies for the alleviation of suffering in Calcutta. Mother Theresa had no right to send that money elsewhere. Doing so is fraud. Plain and simple.

The issue is that she is being canonized for something she apparently never did. She sure as hell did not 'cure' a man from cancer after she had died! The Catholic church, by making such a claim, is discrediting itself.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:15 PM

1,506 posts, read 921,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
How could there have been an excess? People donated monies for the alleviation of suffering in Calcutta.
Uhmm.... did they all? I donated money and supplies on many occasions to Mother Theresa's nuns in Tijuana, Mexico and my current city of residence to use both locally and however they saw fit. I have no problems if they chose to pass the money on to another part of the Catholic church.

It is strange how much of the out rage seems to come from people who apparently never donated. And even if they have donated, they really should not speak for donors they never met as having absolutely, positively only donated the money for local activity "X".

In fact, the nuns have never told me that they would not pass my donations to another part of the catholic church, or that they will use the money only locally and not send it overseas. This makes it difficult to assert that Mother Theresa had some sort of mystical obligation to only use money raised in say, Germany in Germany, or only for her group.

Though some may not like the "however they see fit" use of donations concept, the existance of the concept does not make Mother Theresa fraudlent. It just means that such individuals should not donate.

Last edited by Cryptic; 04-15-2016 at 03:27 PM..

Old 04-15-2016, 03:31 PM

8,588 posts, read 5,117,096 times
Quote:
I have, numerous times, and you ignored them.
You haven't provided any direct evidence regarding MT---nada, nothing. You haven't a witness who saw her use an unsterilized needle or anything else.

Further, you've never indicated conditions are so terrible that they should shut down 4000 centers. Why is that? If you see a runaway lawnmower you don't try to stop it?

You love your prejudice like any tru fundamentalist.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:33 PM

10,202 posts, read 5,733,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
You haven't provided any direct evidence regarding MT---nada, nothing. You haven't a witness who saw her use an unsterilized needle or anything else.

Further, you've never indicated conditions are so terrible that they should shut down 4000 centers. Why is that? If you see a runaway lawnmower you don't try to stop it?

You love your prejudice like any tru fundamentalist.
Have you read the UofM study?

Old 04-15-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Uhmm.... did they all? I donated money and supplies on many occasions to Mother Theresa's nuns in Tijuana, Mexico and my current city of residence to use both locally and however they saw fit. I have no problems if they chose to pass the money on to another part of the Catholic church.

It is strange how much of the out rage seems to come from people who apparently never donated. And even if they have donated, they really should not speak for donors they never met as having absolutely, positively only donated the money for local activity "X".

In fact, the nuns have never told me that they would not pass my donations to another part of the catholic church, or that they will use the money only locally and not send it overseas. This makes it difficult to assert that Mother Theresa had some sort of mystical obligation to only use money raised in say, Germany in Germany, or only for her group.

Though some may not like the "however they see fit" use of donations concept, the existence of the concept does not make Mother Theresa fraudulent. It just means that such individuals should not donate.
Fair enough. But then again, were many people not being called on to donate to Mother Theresa's Calcutta campaign? Meaning that it was her work in India that was being used to draw donations. That would make such donations specific to her cause.

I can only go on the appeals for donations for Mother Theresa's mission in India that I was exposed to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or