U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 12:42 AM

8,587 posts, read 5,115,237 times

Advertisements

[4] http://www.deeshaa.org/shields-teres...-of-illusions/

This is a better article (an eyewitness account) with regard to Mother Teresa's "problems," which even the writer is quick to point out came from the Vatican but embraced by MT. This woman was a nun who worked at homes in the Bronx, Rome, and San Francisco for nine years. Not in any where MT spent much time, of course. Her problem was MT embraced suffering as a manner of pleasing God--among His "servants" which were the nuns--who basically were told they had to live in poverty themselves. And this is quite true--it is one of the VOWS that those nuns take in entering that particular order. In other words, they apparently didn't take seriously the VOW that they made to live like the people they were trying to help.

I remember, at the beginning of the one the Iraq Wars, a female Army Reservist, who tried to go to court to keep from being sent overseas by saying that when she joined she "didn't know I could be sent to fight a war."

Give me a break. The nun in this article is complaining after taking a VOW that said she would live in a manner she ultimately didn't like.

She also claims "other" nuns were broken after they had served in the Sister's of Charity. Except hers is the only account so far. Can't complain right now as cupper3 may have a second nun account.

In the article, former nun Susan Shields states her job was to write thank you letters to donors for thousands of dollars pouring in. This was in the nineties when the financial support really began to accelerate. She is quick to point out:
Quote:
When Mother spoke publicly, she never asked for money, but she did encourage people to make sacrifices for the poor, to “give until it hurts.”
and then claims some money came from "some apparently poor themselves," never explaining how she reached that conclusion.

She did state that most of the money sat in "their banks." See the earlier article that indicates the Vatican had some sort of control of the distribution of money since 1965. Until the Vatican states MT was completely in charge of the funds, then they have to bear the responsibility for proper dispersion of such funds.

But, yes, Mother Teresa made a conscious decision to embrace poverty herself--and her very first person to "follow" her was a former school student (when MT had been a teacher) that came to her to request a position. Mother Teresa was dumbfounded that anyone would want to live like she did (in those unairconditioned huts in India), but explained that if she wanted to live like the people she worked with--she would take her as a helper.

While this article is no smoking gun on MT, it does do justice to the idea that some of the problems for her workers were quite severe--such as being told medical or dental checkups were a "luxury." Which is quite true if you live in America or India, not so much in the rest of the Western World.

The needle charges are again hearsay on the part of this nun regarding what happened in Haiti. She may have heard some nun from Haiti say it, but that doesn't reach the level of eyewitness proof.

More tomorrow on other "sources" for MT being personally an evil person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 12:50 AM

13,857 posts, read 9,651,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
It is utterly immoral to raise millions of dollars, spend it on missions for her nuns, and not spend it on what most people thought they were donating for. It was fraudulent.

It is utterly immoral to raise millions of dollars and not use those funds for the dying, and those who DID NOT HAVE TO die if proper sanitation or triage were practiced. I've documented some of that already.
With you all the way on this thread cupper and I agree, your three questions have NOT been answered. Pure deflection throughout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
- 4,000 nuns now in the order
- They all need to live some where.
- The order has been in existence since the late 1940s.
- In my city, their house AKA "the Convent" (locals in the neighborhood just say "house") is in a very poor area. It is still going to cost $70,000- 90,000.

Mother Theresa and now her group have spent millions on "Convents" over a 75 year period to house thousands of people. I don't see why this is surprising though.
Housing nuns is not, I'd wager, what the majority of people that donated money gave it for. They gave it, as I did, to alleviate the suffering of sick people by the administration of medicine and care. On the whole THAT did not happen. It's a scandal that should be exposed.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:59 AM

5,509 posts, read 2,591,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
No, it means you are you are an atheist jeffbase40 fundamentalist who refuses facts in context.
Umm ... That was a bit below the belt. Why bring jeffbase40 into it? I'm sure you didn't mean to do that.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:08 AM

5,509 posts, read 2,591,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
With you all the way on this thread cupper and I agree, your three questions have NOT been answered. Pure deflection throughout.

Housing nuns is not, I'd wager, what the majority of people that donated money gave it for. They gave it, as I did, to alleviate the suffering of sick people by the administration of medicine and care. On the whole THAT did not happen. It's a scandal that should be exposed.
And this is the whole point of cupper's thread. But I do appreciate the 'defense' for the sake of objectivity.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:13 PM

8,587 posts, read 5,115,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Umm ... That was a bit below the belt. Why bring jeffbase40 into it? I'm sure you didn't mean to do that.
Read cupper3's statements and some of jeffbase40's. Neither one is interested in any middle ground. Everything is seen in black and white. For cupper3 Mother Teresa is an angel from hell. For jeffbase40 Josh Duggar was a poor misunderstood Christian when he was a child molester--but he changed his view once Duggar proved to be an adulterer as well.

Seeing black and white is at the heart of the fundamentalist mystique. There can only be good or bad, right or wrong---never ever any grays.

Except our experience with human beings teach us that such is not true at all. If you have a spouse of many years you may see many, many good things. But you stay with him/her in spite of the flaws and not so good things you also see because you make an honest evaluation.

Honest evaluation does not lie at the heart of fundamentalism.

I will post more later on cupper3's outrageous and disingenuous conclusions from the articles he posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or