U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 02:09 PM

10,202 posts, read 5,742,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritos56 View Post
As a CatholicI don't have any problem with your facts.That was the point of the Devil's Advocate in the cause of saints, to bring out any unpleasant truth. People might want to look up Rose Hawthorne Lathrop.She was the daughter of the author Nathanel Hawthorne. She later married and at some point in time became a catholic. Later Rose founded the Dominican Servants of St.Rose of Lima, also known as Servants of Relief for Incurable Cancer.They are mainly known by this name today. Her sisters work to provide medical care to the poor and others who have cancer.They are cared for in modern faculities and get medical care. They aren't dying in pain and squalor.Rose Hawthorne Lathrop's cause for sainthood has been put before Rome.
Yet you hear little about her. There are native indian orders who work in Mother India to help the poor,,,,,,,,,,,,yet you hear little about them. Somehow Mother Teresa managed to get the publicity other catholic religious both native and forgein never did.
Thanks for the post. Most think I am bashing a religion, when in fact, I am bashing and trying to highlight facts rather than the image.

I bet Rose Hawthorne's charity raised only a fraction of what Teresa of Calcutta did, yet as you point out, was able to provide real relief to the dying.

Good link of Rose Hawthorne: Rose Hawthorne

As you may have gathered, I am an atheist, however, if anyone deserves to be recognized through the Catholic canonization process, it is Rose Hawthorne, not Teresa of Calcutta.

(BTW, two of my best teachers were nuns.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 02:31 PM

8,608 posts, read 5,125,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Thanks for the post. Most think I am bashing a religion, when in fact, I am bashing and trying to highlight facts rather than the image.

I bet Rose Hawthorne's charity raised only a fraction of what Teresa of Calcutta did, yet as you point out, was able to provide real relief to the dying.

Good link of Rose Hawthorne: Rose Hawthorne

As you may have gathered, I am an atheist, however, if anyone deserves to be recognized through the Catholic canonization process, it is Rose Hawthorne, not Teresa of Calcutta.

(BTW, two of my best teachers were nuns.)
No we don't think you are bashing religion per se in this particularly thread--but that is your MO.

What we do think is your are bashing a flawed human being who had good intentions and was ill-prepared for the massive growth in her ministry--and who did not have the educational background to be a doctor, lawyer, hygienist, accountant, and financial guru.

In other words, someone just like you and me, sans sitting on her hands doing nothing at all.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
No we don't think you are bashing religion per se in this particularly thread--but that is your MO.

What we do think is your are bashing a flawed human being who had good intentions and was ill-prepared for the massive growth in her ministry--and who did not have the educational background to be a doctor, lawyer, hygienist, accountant, and financial guru.

In other words, someone just like you and me, sans sitting on her hands doing nothing at all.
She was smart enough to cajole dictators and fraudsters to give her order money, but not smart enough to know what sterilized needles were?

Riiiiigght.

And I'm also bashing a system that is perpetuating a myth, perpetuating an image, yet, like you who won't deny even one of my facts, refuses to condemn things like the use of unsterilized needles.

Worshiping the image, not the reality. I'd much rather a Rose Hawthorne as outlined by fritos56 be recognized.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:53 PM

37,573 posts, read 25,268,086 times
Quote:
She was smart enough to cajole dictators and fraudsters to give her order money, but not smart enough to know what sterilized needles were?
Riiiiigght.
And I'm also bashing a system that is perpetuating a myth, perpetuating an image, yet, like you who won't deny even one of my facts, refuses to condemn things like the use of unsterilized needles.
Worshiping the image, not the reality. I'd much rather a Rose Hawthorne as outlined by fritos56 be recognized.
The people she ministered to were living in uncivilized virtual dung heaps and you are obsessing over unsterilized needles. Here, I will scratch your itch. You believe Mother Theresa was an evil woman with evil intent. We get it but we don't agree with your armchair analysis from your sterile civilized and pampered upbringing and perspective. Ever been to some of these places???

Old 03-21-2016, 02:58 PM

[quote=MysticPhD;43435532]The people she ministered to were living in uncivilized virtual dung heaps and you are obsessing over unsterilized needles. Here, I will scratch your itch. You believe Mother Theresa was an evil woman with evil intent. We get it but we don't agree with your armchair analysis from your sterile civilized and pampered upbringing and perspective. Ever been to some of these places???[/QUOTE]

Yes I have.

Next question?

Old 03-21-2016, 03:01 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,368,217 times
[quote=cupper3;43435600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The people she ministered to were living in uncivilized virtual dung heaps and you are obsessing over unsterilized needles. Here, I will scratch your itch. You believe Mother Theresa was an evil woman with evil intent. We get it but we don't agree with your armchair analysis from your sterile civilized and pampered upbringing and perspective. Ever been to some of these places???[/QUOTE]

Yes I have.

Next question?
Name those places. Any experiences in Calcutta with a nun you call a 'witch'?

Old 03-21-2016, 03:52 PM

[quote=DewDropInn;43435644]
Quote:

Name those places. Any experiences in Calcutta with a nun you call a 'witch'?
Not in India, but plenty of third world places, including medical facilities. Somehow they knew about sterilized needles. That rumor about them got around a long time ago.

So, why did the witch of Calcutta not know about them?

Quit adulating the image. She raised plenty of money, from questionable sources, and did not use it for simple things like sterilized needles or training her staff in rudimentary sanitation practices. She reveled in the dying's suffering and bragged about it.

She was anything but saintly. At the best negligent, and in the worse case, criminal.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:56 PM

23,399 posts, read 12,098,827 times
cupper, you've become a sad joke, a cartoon character, every bit as one-dimensional as Eusie or jeff.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:07 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,368,217 times
Quote:

Not in India,.
As I thought. You haven't been there. That's all I wanted to know. I'm not interested in lectures from one more guy who wants to demean a woman by calling her names. It's a form of bullying and sexism.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 03-21-2016 at 04:16 PM..

Old 03-21-2016, 04:20 PM

20,187 posts, read 12,840,711 times
Quote:

Not in India, but plenty of third world places, including medical facilities. Somehow they knew about sterilized needles. That rumor about them got around a long time ago.

So, why did the witch of Calcutta not know about them?

Quit adulating the image. She raised plenty of money, from questionable sources, and did not use it for simple things like sterilized needles or training her staff in rudimentary sanitation practices. She reveled in the dying's suffering and bragged about it.

She was anything but saintly. At the best negligent, and in the worse case, criminal.
First you complain about not giving the dying people pain meds then you think it's horrible the pain meds are given without sterilizing the needles.

The place is a hospice for people to die in a bed and not in the gutter. Even in our country people go to hospice to die and they are only given palliative/keep comfortable until they die care. Nothing else.

The nuns were busy picking maggots off the people who came there to die and keeping them clean. Like one man told the nuns----"I have lived like a devil and now I will die like a saint."

But think what you will. You have already made up your mind, you don't want to be bothered with the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or