Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2016, 04:07 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,391,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Fair enough. But then again, were many people not being called on to donate to Mother Theresa's Calcutta campaign?
Quote:
I can only go on the appeals for donations for Mother Theresa's mission in India that I was exposed to.
To my knowledge, Mother Theresa never advertised or actively solicited for donations for "Calcutta" or anywhere else. Can you post a link to these appeals?

In addition, Mother Theresa's group also insists that those sending donations provide them personally. For example, they have turned down some of my donations because they were not from me, and the people giving beans in 100 pound bags were not present.

I encpurage you to "go and see" what her groups does. You will not find any active appeals for donations. You will only find a willingness to accept them.

I encourage you to "go and see" what the nuns do. You will not find any appeals for donations. You will only find a willingness to accept donations.

Of course, they do accept donations. They only give the donors the promise that the donated money or material will be used to further "the Work" as in the "The Work of Christ". Not suprisingly, they, not me and not say, Cupper-3 , get to determine what this work is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 04:45 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
That's fair comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
To my knowledge, Mother Theresa never advertised or actively solicited for donations for "Calcutta" or anywhere else. Can you post a link to these appeals?
No, I cannot post links. Those appeals were via radio and TV and now that you mention it, no one was claiming the appeals came directly from her.

I would like to learn the truth in this matter. I still only have the hearsay that she was doing all these wonderful things in Calcutta. Right now I'll settle for proof of her good works there.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
That's fair comment.

No, I cannot post links. Those appeals were via radio and TV and now that you mention it, no one was claiming the appeals came directly from her.

I would like to learn the truth in this matter. I still only have the hearsay that she was doing all these wonderful things in Calcutta. Right now I'll settle for proof of her good works there.
I would be suspect of any such appeals purportedly made on her behalf. I remember one time her nuns in Tijuana would not accept some bulk beans because I had solicited them on behalf of the nuns and the actual donor was not present. They then told me to only bring money and food that I as an individual was giving. As her proof of accomplishments, I would start with the State funeral and awards the Indians gave her. To my knowledge she, is the only non Indian to receive one and one of the few Christians to get the various awards. The original home for the dying hospice is still open. And of course, review Cupper-3's posts for real substance besides rants. You will soon see that they don't really have any substance.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:24 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
I would be suspect of any such appeals purportedly made on her behalf. I remember one time her nuns in Tijuana would not accept some bulk beans because I had solicited them on behalf of the nuns and the actual donor was not present. They then told me to only bring money and food that I as an individual was giving.

As her proof of accomplishments, I would start with the State funeral and awards the Indians gave her. To my knowledge she, is the only non Indian to receive one and one of the few Christians to get the various awards.

The original home for the dying hospice is still open: And of course, review Cupper-3's posts for real substance besides rants. You will soon see that they don't really have any substance.

Didn't read the links backing the 'rants' up, did you?

Old 04-15-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
[/b]

Didn't read the links backing the 'rants' up, did you?

I did not find them very credible, when I contrasted them with my experiences with her nuns. But that does not mean that 303guy will have the same conclusion.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
I did not find them very credible, when I contrasted them with my experiences with her nuns. But that does not mean that 303guy will have the same conclusion.
University study is not credible? Or does not match you presuppostion?

Old 04-16-2016, 12:40 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Quote:
University study is not credible? Or does not match you presuppostion?
It's been debunked--by people who are ALSO criticizing some of MT's work:

Quote:
Rather unwittingly, Dr Alpion contends, the Canadian researchers apparently depend rather too much on the writings of Christopher Hitchens to substantiate their criticism of Mother Teresa.

Dr Alpion, whose ground-breaking book "Mother Teresa: Saint or Celebrity?" (Routledge, 2007) has been covered widely by the world media and reviewed in a number of peer-reviewed journals, welcomes the Canadian researchers’ interest in the nun but argues that time has come for Mother Teresa scholarship to relegate to a footnote under researched, biased and sensationalist vitriolic attacks of the likes of Hitches.

Dr Alpion, who has been researching the sensitive topic of Mother Teresa's spiritual darkness since 2007, and will shortly give a series of lectures on his work in progress at the Universities of Delhi and Melbourne, concluded that controversial aspects about this iconic humanitarian and religious figure should not prevent scholars from acknowledging that in a world that treats the unfortunate as 'human debris', she had the courage, stamina and farsightedness to remind mankind with her 'faith in action' of the sacredness of human dignity. Mother Teresa's work should not and cannot be quantified; the value of her work is symbolic.
POLSIS academic says Canadian researchers criticizing Mother Teresa miss the point

Give it up, Mr jeffbase40 in an atheist robe.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
It's been debunked--by people who are ALSO criticizing some of MT's work:

POLSIS academic says Canadian researchers criticizing Mother Teresa miss the point

Give it up, Mr jeffbase40 in an atheist robe.
Debunked? It was a metastudy, of course it relied on other sources. That's what metastudies do.

BTW, Alpoin was Albanian.

MT was Albanian. What a coincidence.

Think maybe, just MAYBE he has a predisposition to show MT in a positive light? Say it's not so! Let's see what Wikipedia says:

In June 2014, Alpion began a campaign in support of the canonization of Mother Teresa. 'One of the reasons why Mother Teresa’s cause for canonization has stalled', Alpion told Matters India in September 2014, 'is due to the revelations about her deep distress in experiencing the ‘dark night of the soul’; this often forced her to doubt both God’s existence and the nature of her decision to serve the poorest of the poor.' [12] The camping is supported by church authorities, celebrities, film stars, priests, nuns and laity from 45 countries, has attracted the attention of the media in several countries. [13]

Amazing isn't it. What a coincidence. Of course he would diss the source of Hitchens. Amazing when that PR machine of the Catholic church cranks up, where those tentacles reach out to.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:18 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Quote:
Debunked? It was a metastudy, of course it relied on other sources. That's what metastudies do.

BTW, Alpoin was Albanian.

MT was Albanian. What a coincidence.

Think maybe, just MAYBE he has a predisposition to show MT in a positive light? Say it's not so! Let's see what Wikipedia says:

In June 2014, Alpion began a campaign in support of the canonization of Mother Teresa. 'One of the reasons why Mother Teresa’s cause for canonization has stalled', Alpion told Matters India in September 2014, 'is due to the revelations about her deep distress in experiencing the ‘dark night of the soul’; this often forced her to doubt both God’s existence and the nature of her decision to serve the poorest of the poor.' [12] The camping is supported by church authorities, celebrities, film stars, priests, nuns and laity from 45 countries, has attracted the attention of the media in several countries. [13]

Amazing isn't it. What a coincidence. Of course he would diss the source of Hitchens. Amazing when that PR machine of the Catholic church cranks up, where those tentacles reach out to.
I previously provided a report by an atheist who dismissed their claims as well!! So you have received testimony from supporters, non-supporters, Indians----you are incredibly dense. And no two ways about it you now own the title of troll of the religious thread. Your credibility is completely gone.

And once again, no, I do not think of MT as a saint. She wasn't. And neither was she the demon you are trolling her to be.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
How can accept that the millions raised were used for convents, and not patients? How do you see beyond that?
I don't understand this point. Lets examine the claim "millions spend on convents" in its totality:

- 4,000 nuns now in the order
- They all need to live some where.
- The order has been in existence since the late 1940s.
- In my city, their house AKA "the Convent" (locals in the neighborhood just say "house") is in a very poor area. It is still going to cost $70,000- 90,000.

Mother Theresa and now her group have spent millions on "Convents" over a 75 year period to house thousands of people. I don't see why this is surprising though. Surely, there is more to this point. Cupper-3, could you provide some more illustrative information? Currently it sounds like a propaganda sound bite.

As a side note, the nuns, however, don't live in "convents" (implied large structures with scores of nuns). Rather, the nuns live in small groups of 4-7 in houses that are close to their work site. I imagine that largerwork sites include coorepsonding larger numbers of nuns, but even still, this number seems to be small.

Last edited by Cryptic; 04-16-2016 at 07:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity