Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 03:02 PM

598 posts, read 353,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with prayer and having an open heart toward God. It is something I struggle with. "...Turn me Lord, and I will be turned..." (Jer 31:18). Only God can open our hearts to him, we must pray for his mercy to do so unto us. You keep your eyes on Jesus by taking them off yourself. Stop feeling guilty about what you have or have not done or how you feel toward God; it is a great trick of the devil to make us feel loaded down by guilt when there is nothing that can separate us from the love of God, even though we may not feel that way at times.

Fix your eyes upon Jesus by considering his finished work when you think your heart isn't open toward God. Pray for God's mercy to make you feel this way more. You may be experiencing spiritual desertion which makes up unable to feel God's presence. Trust in his word and not your feelings. God has promised to always be with you; though you may not feel he is there, lean upon his written word instead of what you feel.

I'm not sure what that is. I'm familiar with the means of grace as a way of increasing faith: prayer, reading God's word, fellowship with Christians and taking part in the sacraments.

Another good post

His final words of advice have always been "turn on to me and I will turn on to you".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 03:23 PM

37,336 posts, read 28,051,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelystone View Post
Another good post

His final words of advice have always been "turn on to me and I will turn on to you".
Can you share your experience of this to Djmagnum ? . I believe God is incessantly turned on to us but most of the time we are either deaf or blind to it. It's our Heavenly Father who "Always" goes the extra mile, as an example to us.

Last edited by pcamps; 03-20-2016 at 03:39 PM..

Old 03-20-2016, 03:27 PM

9,664 posts, read 9,923,358 times
Talk to God all day and when you wake up at night , and then repent of sins and ask God to open a way to help you for a start ........ Try to forgive Christians and leaders and anyone that you may have ought against ........ Sow an offering of charity to Jesus , to the work of Jesus ........If the leader of your church are critics of the salvation of Jesus by His authorship then you should change churches .....God will lead you in when He sees your faith

Old 03-20-2016, 03:38 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,816,815 times
Stop focussing on your relationship with God and look at the people around you. Are there people who could use a little help and encouragement that you could provide? Do you feel a kinship with them? Get out of yourself and give God room to come in.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:34 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,874,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djmagnum View Post
What does this mean for you. How do we keep our eyes on Jesus. When I pray it feels like words hitting the ceiling. How can I open up my heart instead of this misery being separated from him. How do I open my heart, I keep praying but nothing works.

And also what are steps of faith? What does that mean. Thank you
Yes, pray where there is no ceiling so they won't hit the ceiling.

I don't know where you get the idea one has to "open one's heart in prayer." Are you expecting some sort of two-way audible communication? That's not going to happen.

We pray to align our will with God's will just as Jesus did in the garden prior to His crucifixion "Not my will but Thine be done!"

Old 03-20-2016, 04:45 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,761,933 times
"From the believers heart shall flow rivers of living water."

Old 03-20-2016, 04:47 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,647,546 times
I don't open my heart to God, I don't believe in that.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:47 PM

37,336 posts, read 28,051,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Yes, pray where there is no ceiling so they won't hit the ceiling.

I don't know where you get the idea one has to "open one's heart in prayer." Are you expecting some sort of two-way audible communication? That's not going to happen.

We pray to align our will with God's will just as Jesus did in the garden prior to His crucifixion "Not my will but Thine be done!"
Gods will is that he is always available in times of trouble. The trouble is this world we live in. Oxoxo

Old 03-20-2016, 07:30 PM

598 posts, read 353,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Can you share your experience of this to Djmagnum ? . I believe God is incessantly turned on to us but most of the time we are either deaf or blind to it. It's our Heavenly Father who "Always" goes the extra mile, as an example to us.
I am going to edit my reply caring to err on the side of caution if indeed I do err

I think the best example of Him not accepting me in my then current condition is recorded in my blogs own when I died but even though my name was in the book of life I was not allowed into heaven but was sent back albeit given a chance so when I stand in judgement again something my be said for my benefit.

However, although the walk back to where I belonged was not a walk in the park, eventually I was welcomed back, a ring placed on my finger and new garments issued to this prodigal son.

Last edited by Livelystone; 03-20-2016 at 07:42 PM..

Old 03-20-2016, 07:34 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,164,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelystone View Post
Yes I can but I do not see where my own prior personal life, repentance, and walk with God is (other than my current walk) any of your business or anyone else here.

Fair enough?
A simple, no, would have sufficed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity