Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 06:27 AM

124 posts, read 118,107 times

Advertisements

What does this mean for you. How do we keep our eyes on Jesus. When I pray it feels like words hitting the ceiling. How can I open up my heart instead of this misery being separated from him. How do I open my heart, I keep praying but nothing works.

And also what are steps of faith? What does that mean. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 06:31 AM

514 posts, read 468,599 times
The barrier can arise in a number of different ways, like mental blocks and distractive ideation, but at the root of it is usually unrepented sin. You'll have to be pretty exhaustive in addressing this.

"Now we know that God does not hear sinners; but if any man is a worshipper of God, and does His will, him he hears." John 9:31

Old 03-20-2016, 06:48 AM

1,146 posts, read 643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djmagnum View Post
What does this mean for you. How do we keep our eyes on Jesus. When I pray it feels like words hitting the ceiling. How can I open up my heart instead of this misery being separated from him. How do I open my heart, I keep praying but nothing works.

I'm going to go through a few steps. If the reader has been there and done that, then move along.

The most important point to remember is that fellowship with God is a RELATIONAL matter. One's relationship with God through Christ is what gets a man saved, sanctified and filled with the Holy Ghost. You can't buy your way into it and you can't be good enough. You have to live the life God wants, not the one you want. Opposition to the will of God is sin and must be dealt with before anything else is accomplished either here or hereafter.

The beginning issue is repentance. If the reader has not expressed extreme and sincere repentance for his or her sins against God, then there is no other possible way to establish a relationship with Jesus. God will not and does not hear any prayer from anyone except the sincere prayer of repentance. Repentance means a bone deep desire to turn away from sin. You have to hate it so much you treat it as trash. Dump it. Once one has repented of sin, then the relationship can begin on the fertile ground of humility and devotion that God desires. Nothing else will do. Nothing.

That being said, we can move on.....

Accepting Christ means accepting God's will and desire into your life. It may or may not be accompanied with experiences of spiritual euphoria, or visions and dreams. Peace with God does not equate to peace with the world or even in some cases peace with ourselves. However, peace with God is sufficient for all the rest. If whatever you've got eating you up isn't dealt with in tandem with Christ, then you may or may not be able to successfully resolve it. Peace with God means that He will be with you.

But what about communication....

The person who has made peace with God will eventually discover that He speaks to us in several different ways. He is not human after all and has the uncanny ability to demonstrate His wishes in many ways, usually ones that are clear and to the point. It is our duty to believe His will and to act upon it. The human part of the relationship is called faith. None of us has an autonomous ability to see the future. None of us has light sufficient for ourselves. Christ IS the light and has offered His light to us. We must follow it. This is called discipleship, which is not the same as being a contributing member of the First Church of Religion, Inc.

What ways does God speak to us....

This is a simple list, but has been repeated many times in various places. I'm not making this stuff up.
First is the Bible, the Word of God. Read it. Study it. Learn it. Within it's pages are listed the things that God expects of us, how to approach Him and how to live a life blessed in Him. The reader MUST learn how to do this for himself. DO NOT rely upon pre-digested study materials, which are only propaganda for whatever ideology a particular group is passing off as divine rules and regulations. The Bible is consistent in it's themes. Human interpretations sometimes leave a lot to be desired.

Second is a sermon or lectures delivered by men who preach Jesus Christ and Him crucified. These are few and far between these days. DO NOT listen to TV preachers. They are all parasites upon the body of Christ. All they want is your donation. Despite their words they don't care if you live or die.

Third is Godly advice by people who know Christ and who follow Him diligently. If they all agree on some point, then you may consider it valid. This is not a hard and fast rule as St. Paul learned, but in most cases it's worthy of consideration.

Forth is circumstances. God speaks through events as much as through an audible voice.
Fifth is the still small voice of the Holy Spirit manifested in visions, dreams, and sometimes an actual voice.

All of this is the human portion of the experience and duty. There is a lot of theological ideology that's available to guide the disciple of Christ into deeper understanding, but as a day by day approach nothing is better than a deep conviction of repentance in tandem with watching and waiting for God to speak to us.

All of this is a person's relation with God. The church is only a group of people assembled with the same conviction. Church membership does not save and no membership card is fireproof. The church is not God. It's a simple statement but true. One must make personal peace with God. What you do with church has little to do with it.

Hope this helps.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Last edited by Choir Loft; 03-20-2016 at 07:29 AM..

Old 03-20-2016, 08:28 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,824,847 times
Quote:

We meet Christ through child-like faith. Not immaturity, but that natural wonder we had when we were little. Nothing was impossible. Go back to that. Even if you don't feel Him, He is right there. If you feel your words are hitting the ceiling, get rid of the ceiling, in your mind and in your heart. When you pray, stay. Stay there, after you are done praying, and just wait on Him. Before you pray though, get rid of all the junk. In prayer time, the only thing that exists is you and Christ. Like when you were little and sitting on Daddy's lap, and the only thing that existed in that moment was Him and you.

If all of this seems rather simplistic...well duh!

Be at peace. *hugs*

Old 03-20-2016, 09:00 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,246,928 times
Jesus loves me, this I know for my Grandpa told me so. ~Katie

Isn't love wonderful.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:55 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,110,189 times
I sort of imitated the Mick Jagger method--

If I could stick my pen in my heart
And spill it all over the stage
Would it satisfy ya, would it slide on by ya
Would you think the boy is strange? Ain't he strange?
If I could win ya, if I could sing ya
A love song so divine
Would it be enough for your cheating heart
If I broke down and cried? If I cried?
I said I know it's only rock 'n roll but I like it
I know it's only rock 'n roll but I like it, like it, yes, I do
Oh, well, I like it, I like it, I like it
I said can't you see that this old boy has been a lonely?
If I could stick a knife in my heart
Suicide right on stage
Would it be enough for your teenage lust
Would it help to ease the pain? Ease your brain?
If I could dig down deep in my heart
Feelings would flood on the page
Would it satisfy ya, would it slide on by ya

Old 03-20-2016, 01:00 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,157,086 times
By being still and letting go of all things including your biased belief systems.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:24 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,905,426 times
Quote:
I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with prayer and having an open heart toward God. It is something I struggle with. "...Turn me Lord, and I will be turned..." (Jer 31:18). Only God can open our hearts to him, we must pray for his mercy to do so unto us. You keep your eyes on Jesus by taking them off yourself. Stop feeling guilty about what you have or have not done or how you feel toward God; it is a great trick of the devil to make us feel loaded down by guilt when there is nothing that can separate us from the love of God, even though we may not feel that way at times.

Fix your eyes upon Jesus by considering his finished work when you think your heart isn't open toward God. Pray for God's mercy to make you feel this way more. You may be experiencing spiritual desertion which makes up unable to feel God's presence. Trust in his word and not your feelings. God has promised to always be with you; though you may not feel he is there, lean upon his written word instead of what you feel.

Quote:
I'm not sure what that is. I'm familiar with the means of grace as a way of increasing faith: prayer, reading God's word, fellowship with Christians and taking part in the sacraments.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:38 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,157,086 times
Quote:

Hi Dj, bring God closer to yourself by seeing where he really is......he is closer than breathing, IN YOU as your ever present help in times of trouble, abundantly available in your time of need. Quit focusing on God being anywhere other than in you. I promise you if you do, you're faith will go through the ceiling you think is a stumbling block and you will discover great peace too. What have you got to lose in at least considering this?.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:44 PM

598 posts, read 355,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
I'm going to go through a few steps. If the reader has been there and done that, then move along.

The most important point to remember is that fellowship with God is a RELATIONAL matter. One's relationship with God through Christ is what gets a man saved, sanctified and filled with the Holy Ghost. You can't buy your way into it and you can't be good enough. You have to live the life God wants, not the one you want. Opposition to the will of God is sin and must be dealt with before anything else is accomplished either here or hereafter.

The beginning issue is repentance. If the reader has not expressed extreme and sincere repentance for his or her sins against God, then there is no other possible way to establish a relationship with Jesus. God will not and does not hear any prayer from anyone except the sincere prayer of repentance. Repentance means a bone deep desire to turn away from sin. You have to hate it so much you treat it as trash. Dump it. Once one has repented of sin, then the relationship can begin on the fertile ground of humility and devotion that God desires. Nothing else will do. Nothing.

That being said, we can move on.....

Accepting Christ means accepting God's will and desire into your life. It may or may not be accompanied with experiences of spiritual euphoria, or visions and dreams. Peace with God does not equate to peace with the world or even in some cases peace with ourselves. However, peace with God is sufficient for all the rest. If whatever you've got eating you up isn't dealt with in tandem with Christ, then you may or may not be able to successfully resolve it. Peace with God means that He will be with you.

But what about communication....

The person who has made peace with God will eventually discover that He speaks to us in several different ways. He is not human after all and has the uncanny ability to demonstrate His wishes in many ways, usually ones that are clear and to the point. It is our duty to believe His will and to act upon it. The human part of the relationship is called faith. None of us has an autonomous ability to see the future. None of us has light sufficient for ourselves. Christ IS the light and has offered His light to us. We must follow it. This is called discipleship, which is not the same as being a contributing member of the First Church of Religion, Inc.

What ways does God speak to us....

This is a simple list, but has been repeated many times in various places. I'm not making this stuff up.
First is the Bible, the Word of God. Read it. Study it. Learn it. Within it's pages are listed the things that God expects of us, how to approach Him and how to live a life blessed in Him. The reader MUST learn how to do this for himself. DO NOT rely upon pre-digested study materials, which are only propaganda for whatever ideology a particular group is passing off as divine rules and regulations. The Bible is consistent in it's themes. Human interpretations sometimes leave a lot to be desired.

Second is a sermon or lectures delivered by men who preach Jesus Christ and Him crucified. These are few and far between these days. DO NOT listen to TV preachers. They are all parasites upon the body of Christ. All they want is your donation. Despite their words they don't care if you live or die.

Third is Godly advice by people who know Christ and who follow Him diligently. If they all agree on some point, then you may consider it valid. This is not a hard and fast rule as St. Paul learned, but in most cases it's worthy of consideration.

Forth is circumstances. God speaks through events as much as through an audible voice.
Fifth is the still small voice of the Holy Spirit manifested in visions, dreams, and sometimes an actual voice.

All of this is the human portion of the experience and duty. There is a lot of theological ideology that's available to guide the disciple of Christ into deeper understanding, but as a day by day approach nothing is better than a deep conviction of repentance in tandem with watching and waiting for God to speak to us.

All of this is a person's relation with God. The church is only a group of people assembled with the same conviction. Church membership does not save and no membership card is fireproof. The church is not God. It's a simple statement but true. One must make personal peace with God. What you do with church has little to do with it.

Hope this helps.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...
I like your post,

For sure it is worth a positive rep

Still, somewhere in there, and maybe because you do it automatically, you overlooked one of the keys to your own success in walking with the Lord and that is your discernment between the clean and the unclean (that always appears to be clean) also known as able to discern who worships in truth versus those who do not following the good and avoiding what is not.

There are a lot of accepted mainline doctrines that are no more true than the man in the moon, and once one lie is given a place of rest in the mind of the believer the door is left open for more doctrines that are not only untrue but will halt the believers process of sanctification. Only when the lies have been exposed and the truth resumed will the young believer be able to continue on with their journey to the top of the mountain of God AKA "in Zion".

God gave us laws for determining the truth that are meant to be utilized when we study the scriptures that are spirit and are the same words that became the flesh of Jesus, and will become our flesh providing we study lawfully to become approved as "young men" (and woman) on the way to becoming masters of the Scriptures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity