U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 06:49 AM

1,959 posts, read 4,721,397 times

Advertisements

Bishop: Christians don't go to heaven

This does not surprise me at all. Expect more of this kind of garbage from an ever increasing heretical landscape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 06:55 AM

479 posts, read 1,034,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Bishop: Christians don't go to heaven

This does not surprise me at all. Expect more of this kind of garbage from an ever increasing heretical landscape.
Only read the first paragraph and have already found where the guy is completely contradicting what's listed in scripture..

This is what he says:

Quote:
"Never at any point do the Gospels or Paul say Jesus has been raised, therefore we are we are all going to heaven," Wright told Time Magazine. "I've often heard people say, 'I'm going to heaven soon, and I won't need this stupid body there, thank goodness.' That's a very damaging distortion, all the more so for being unintentional."

What the Word states:

1 Corinthians 15:13-14
But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen: And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.

I don't think this man should be preaching in a Church after making such a statement.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:29 AM

The irony of what is posted above from the article, is the guy just goes on to contradict himself with the paragraph that follows

Quote:
When asked to explain why he rejects that typical sentiment, he said, "There are several important respects in which it's unsupported by the New Testament. First, the timing. In the Bible we are told that you die, and enter an intermediate state. [The Apostle] Paul is very clear that Jesus Christ has been raised from the dead already, but that nobody else has yet.
So in he first paragraph he says that Christ isn't raised from the dead yet, and in the next one - he states that the Bible states that Christ is raised from the dead...

Yah, real believable guy there...I can tell he full of something..but it definitely ain't the Truth..

Old 02-11-2008, 08:05 AM

3,540 posts, read 6,072,664 times
If he happens to be correct, makes no difference to me if I'm just sleeping for a while.
I could use the rest.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
If he happens to be correct, makes no difference to me if I'm just sleeping for a while.
I could use the rest.
Me too man. Me too..

Old 02-11-2008, 08:30 AM

3,698 posts, read 10,207,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleton View Post
Only read the first paragraph and have already found where the guy is completely contradicting what's listed in scripture..

This is what he says:

What the Word states:

1 Corinthians 15:13-14
But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen: And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.

I don't think this man should be preaching in a Church after making such a statement.
You only read the first part of the sentence.

"Never at any point do the Gospels or Paul say Jesus has been raised, therefore we are we are all going to heaven"

Replace the comma with an "and" and you'll understand what he's saying.

The Bible doesn't tell us that we'll be resurrected immediately, but when the end times come.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
You only read the first part of the sentence.

"Never at any point do the Gospels or Paul say Jesus has been raised, therefore we are we are all going to heaven"

Replace the comma with an "and" and you'll understand what he's saying.

The Bible doesn't tell us that we'll be resurrected immediately, but when the end times come.
Including "and" or reading through it as you've suggested makes his testimony even more erroneous -

Romans 10:9
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

The scriptures tell me to believe that God has raised him to be saved(go to heaven), and this guy is telling me if someone believes he has been raised from the dead, they are not saved.

The fact that he's selling a book about his testimony makes me even more skeptical, in addition to the convoluted wording.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:51 AM

224 posts, read 375,018 times
simpleton i think you my be miss quoting him.

I dont think he is saying Jesus wasnt raised but however is saying that no where does it say that Jesus was raised and those that are dead will be raised at the time of thier death.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:55 AM

224 posts, read 375,018 times
I really dont think that is what he is saying. I think he is just trying to establish in not so good terms the exsistance of the gehannan realm

ps wow i hope i spelled that right

Old 02-11-2008, 11:15 AM

5,563 posts, read 6,305,005 times
Well when we die, we exit time and enter timelessness thus soul sleep is irrelevant.

When you exit time based mortality, your resurrection even if it happens 2 gazillion years later, will seem as a twinkling, the dead know nothing remember?

Blessings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or