U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2016, 02:09 AM

676 posts, read 699,981 times

Advertisements

Do I need to read the entire Bible to learn about the Bible and the teachings. Please don't think I am too lazy to read it. It's just that I think it would take me forever to read the entire Bible. Reading is also not something I do to relax. Last book I read I think was Gone With the Wind ! LOL Thank you all for your guidance on beginning my journey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 02:24 AM

2,651 posts, read 1,382,549 times
Genesis
Exodus
Kings (or Chronicles)
Gospels (at least Matthew or Luke)
Revelation

That will get you pretty far

Last edited by granpa; 03-21-2016 at 02:37 AM..

Old 03-21-2016, 02:34 AM

7,859 posts, read 6,664,436 times
Yes Jesus said that His Holy Spirit will remind you of the Word that Jesus has said , so you need to get the Word of God into you mind and spirit , so Holy Spirit can bring it into remembrance ............ Like you do no have to read the bible in fact but you should hear it spoken ......... There are many audio bible on line to download or just hear , or you could buy CD audio bibles in Christian Bible store or online

Old 03-21-2016, 04:24 AM

15,548 posts, read 6,999,363 times
The Old Testament is essentially a history of the growing realization of one ethnic group concerning the nature of God, culminating in the formulation of Micah 6:8. It contains many valuable perceptions and background material, but nothing essential to your walk with Christ.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:01 AM

3,020 posts, read 2,060,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
Do I need to read the entire Bible to learn about the Bible and the teachings. Please don't think I am too lazy to read it. It's just that I think it would take me forever to read the entire Bible. Reading is also not something I do to relax. Last book I read I think was Gone With the Wind ! LOL Thank you all for your guidance on beginning my journey.
If you wish to become an "actual" Christ-like Christian, then read the 4 Gospels. They have the liberal words and Teachings of Jesus Christ. You will find His Teachings FAR different than anything you will learn elsewhere.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:02 AM

676 posts, read 699,981 times
Thank you all.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:39 AM

20,299 posts, read 15,642,764 times
Quote:
Hi Tarajane. Well, yes. To learn about the Bible you have to read it. The Bible is given for your instruction and edification. As a Christian you should not only read the Bible but study it for the purpose of your own spiritual growth.

The Old Testament contains 929 chapters and the New Testament has 260 chapters.

If you read 8 chapters a day, it will take you 116 days to read the Old Testament, and 32.5 days to read through the New Testament.

I recommend reading the Bible in conjunction with listening to Bible teaching from a knowledgeable pastor/teacher. If you don't have available in your area a good Bible teaching church, good expository Bible teaching is available online.

Here are a couple of sites you can try if you care to, and see what you think.

Texas Corners Bible Church - Bible Exposition and Reverent Worship - Kalamazoo MI

Online Bible Studies - Dean Bible Ministries

Old 03-21-2016, 10:04 AM

4,042 posts, read 3,701,271 times
Get the bible experience and listen to it on audio, you can knock out alot of chapters in a 1hr commute to work.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:02 AM

850 posts, read 571,066 times
Quote:
Start out reading a few chapters maybe 10 minutes tops a day. Also, I'd highly recommend getting a modern translation of the Bible.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:33 PM

4,221 posts, read 1,963,766 times
"man does not live by bread alone but by every word from the mouth of God."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or