U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-28-2016, 07:09 PM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
15,576 posts, read 7,032,650 times
Reputation: 1607

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You, like Mystic, make dishonest claims about what other people believe, or don't believe, or follow, or don't follow. You do not get to define what other people believe or don't believe. When you misrepresent others you are only making a liar out of yourself.


So, you don't believe the Bible, you just quote it because I believe it. If that is what you are saying, it would be interesting, and at the same time it makes no sense whatsoever. It would throw your own past arguments in the trash-bin.
I'm sorry, I should have said that your posts indicate that you do not follow the points made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-28-2016, 07:39 PM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,572 posts, read 31,963,402 times
Reputation: 9422
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I'm sorry, I should have said that your posts indicate that you do not follow the points made.
Instead of saying that, you misrepresented my views. You said the Bible is flawed, and should not be used as a guideline, so I assume you do not believe what it says. Is this correct?

PS. You continue to deflect by trying to make it about me. People do that when they are unable to defend their arguments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
15,576 posts, read 7,032,650 times
Reputation: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Instead of saying that, you misrepresented my views. You said the Bible is flawed, and should not be used as a guideline, so I assume you do not believe what it says. Is this correct?

PS. You continue to deflect by trying to make it about me. People do that when they are unable to defend their arguments.
No, it is not, Finn, I said that it is flawed and should not be viewed as absolute authority, and I have also said that it is a useful TOOl for the Spirit, or did you miss the dozens of times I said THAT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,572 posts, read 31,963,402 times
Reputation: 9422
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
No, it is not, Finn, I said that it is flawed and should not be viewed as absolute authority, and I have also said that it is a useful TOOl for the Spirit, or did you miss the dozens of times I said THAT?
You said it is flawed, and based on your comments about using a 'faulty ruler as measurement' being a bad idea, it sounds like you consider it a worthless tool. I suppose you consider recent sociological information (words of men) and your own 'reason' far superior tools than the word of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 09:38 PM
 
37,612 posts, read 25,300,228 times
Reputation: 5860
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Stop it, Finn. You KNOW that 1 Cor 13, Galatians 5 and the Sermon on the Mount CLEARLY describe the Spirit of agape love and its importance to God. Those descriptions are all you need to know what is of the Spirit and therefore of God and what is NOT! WHY do you ignore them and test nothing in the Bible against them????
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I said nothing about what you believe or don't believe, let alone lie about it. I told you to stop lying about nate by claiming he gets his guidance from some blog instead of the Spirit CLEARLY DESCRIBED in those verses. There is NO CONFUSION about what IS and what IS NOT of the Spirit when those verses are READ and FOLLOWED! Why do people accept what is in the Bible without TESTING the Spirit against those verses???? I DO, Finn, every day. Can you say the same?? I test EVERYTHING that is claimed about God and Jesus against those verses. We are supposed to beat each other over the head with them because THEY are the standard of God's TRUTH.
See! How can you have read what I have posted to you and still pretend that the standard is "whatever sounds good and agreeable with our views"???? The standard is the verses you say I am beating you over the head with. THEY come from Jesus, NOT "whatever sounds good and is agreeable with my views."From where I sit, he has succeeded with the MAJORITY of Christians who ignore those verses and test nothing because they believe the anti-Christ apostate dogma in the "precepts and doctrines of men" as prophesied for these latter days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You claimed I ignore the verses which you mentioned, which is a complete lie.
I took that directly from your posts which deny that anything in the Bible has to be TESTED against the Spirit described in those verses. Are you changing your position, Finn. Do YOU test what is in the Bible against those verses??? I do not lie or misrepresent anything, but YOU seem to duck, hide, distract, distort, and misrepresent everything said by anyone who disagrees with your dogma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 09:38 PM
 
Location: U.S. Pacific Northwest
250 posts, read 131,893 times
Reputation: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I am fascinated by the fact that people have expressed the idea that following the Spirit is nothing more than internal imagining and "unicorns and butterflies," but when actually confronted with a brief example of discernment in that Spirit using some of the tools available to the Spirit, including scripture, recent sociological information, reason and most of all that concern for the well-being of everyone that is "agape," I get no reaction whatsoever.

Why do you suppose that is?

I honestly expected to show another of the phases generated in discernment, and that is input or questions from people expected to have encountered that Spirit. Perhaps that post was too obscure?
There's an item called the Spriritual Gifts Inventory, commonly administered by priests in the Roman Catholic and Episcopal denominations of Christianity, and maybe some others. I'd recommend you look at the definitions--or even take the free test. Without a little more background, it would be difficult to address any of your questions in good faith. No pun intended.

I can say that I did not expect the results I got, but they also weren't a surprise--since other non-spiritual profiling tests I'd taken aligned very well with the spiritual one.

You ask, "Why do you suppose that is [that I get no reaction whatsoever]. Speaking for myself, I wouldn't share my experiences with someone who seems to be sneering at the very idea that there is such a thing, and I wouldn't expect to have my experiences treated with respect given the general tone of the opening post. If I'm wrong, I'd be willing to engage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 09:43 PM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
15,576 posts, read 7,032,650 times
Reputation: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You said it is flawed, and based on your comments about using a 'faulty ruler as measurement' being a bad idea, it sounds like you consider it a worthless tool. I suppose you consider recent sociological information (words of men) and your own 'reason' far superior tools than the word of God.
Once again you fail to read and comprehend and then accuse me of saying what I have not said. If you will reread that post, the "faulty ruler" imentioned was interpretations of scripture. Now, as to scripture itself, that would also obtain IF the Spirit (as the guide promised) does not confirm the validity of the words. It is your doctrines of men that are absolutely faulty. Scripture is conditional on our Guide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 09:53 PM
 
37,612 posts, read 25,300,228 times
Reputation: 5860
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
No, it is not, Finn, I said that it is flawed and should not be viewed as absolute authority, and I have also said that it is a useful TOOl for the Spirit, or did you miss the dozens of times I said THAT?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You said it is flawed, and based on your comments about using a 'faulty ruler as measurement' being a bad idea, it sounds like you consider it a worthless tool. I suppose you consider recent sociological information (words of men) and your own 'reason' far superior tools than the word of God.
You know full well that it is NOT sociological information or his own reasoning, Finn. You have been told by me in this very thread numerous times it is the Spirit of agape love as described in the verses you claim I am beating you over the head with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Stop it, Finn. You KNOW that 1 Cor 13, Galatians 5 and the Sermon on the Mount CLEARLY describe the Spirit of agape love and its importance to God. Those descriptions are all you need to know what is of the Spirit and therefore of God and what is NOT! WHY do you ignore them and test nothing in the Bible against them????
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Once again you fail to read and comprehend and then accuse me of saying what I have not said. If you will reread that post, the "faulty ruler" imentioned was interpretations of scripture. Now, as to scripture itself, that would also obtain IF the Spirit (as the guide promised) does not confirm the validity of the words. It is your doctrines of men that are absolutely faulty. Scripture is conditional on our Guide.
And that guide IS the Spirit of agape love (Who IS God) as described in "1 Cor 13, Galatians 5 and the Sermon on the Mount." Its importance to God was demonstrated unambiguously by Jesus as He smote no one despite horrendous scourging and crucifixion. He loved even His torturers and murderers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2016, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,572 posts, read 31,963,402 times
Reputation: 9422
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I took that directly from your posts which deny that anything in the Bible has to be TESTED against the Spirit described in those verses. Are you changing your position, Finn. Do YOU test what is in the Bible against those verses??? I do not lie or misrepresent anything, but YOU seem to duck, hide, distract, distort, and misrepresent everything said by anyone who disagrees with your dogma.
i just pointed out that you lied and that is a fact. I don't have any interest in playing your games with you. Apologize for the lies, or don't. I don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2016, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,572 posts, read 31,963,402 times
Reputation: 9422
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Once again you fail to read and comprehend and then accuse me of saying what I have not said. If you will reread that post, the "faulty ruler" imentioned was interpretations of scripture. Now, as to scripture itself, that would also obtain IF the Spirit (as the guide promised) does not confirm the validity of the words. It is your doctrines of men that are absolutely faulty. Scripture is conditional on our Guide.
you talk in circles and contradict yourself and when it's pointed out your standard response is to blame the readers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top