U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-22-2016, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
15,557 posts, read 7,016,415 times
Reputation: 1606

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The bold is false. I recognize the importance of Bible as part of what Christ provides (through the Holy Spirit) to the world so that people can know Him.

Again - it's not an "either...or..." issue. The underlined is only true for unbelievers.
Many people limit the work of the Spirit to what is in the Bible and say that the Spirit will not contradicr it. That IS putting the Bible ahead of the Spirit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-22-2016, 11:51 AM
 
4,851 posts, read 1,466,900 times
Reputation: 1571
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Yes.


Please explain how the early Christians achieved salvation without a Bible then . The immediate ones of the first couple of centuries had none, as it wasn't yet written, and even after the letters were written is was centuries more before they were codified into the Bible, and then centuries more after that before they made it into the hands of the common people, as they had to be hand copied by scribes and this was too expensive for all but the rich people .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2016, 12:29 PM
 
37,553 posts, read 25,268,086 times
Reputation: 5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Many people limit the work of the Spirit to what is in the Bible and say that the Spirit will not contradicr it. That IS putting the Bible ahead of the Spirit.
Exactly! If you say the Bible cannot be contradicted, you make the Bible your God and the Spirit its slave. How can they NOT understand this obvious truth, nate???? The Fundashield is powerful indeed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2016, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
26,246 posts, read 14,124,700 times
Reputation: 10117
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Many people limit the work of the Spirit to what is in the Bible and say that the Spirit will not contradicr it. That IS putting the Bible ahead of the Spirit.
The Holy Spirit is not limited by anything except God - but will act in accordance with what is set forth in the Bible.




Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Exactly! If you say the Bible cannot be contradicted, you make the Bible your God and the Spirit its slave. How can they NOT understand this obvious truth, nate???? The Fundashield is powerful indeed!
Because it's not true. You will never understand it in your current state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2016, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
15,557 posts, read 7,016,415 times
Reputation: 1606
"but"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2016, 04:23 PM
 
Location: GOVERNMENT of TRAITORS & NAZIS
20,595 posts, read 22,756,427 times
Reputation: 7630
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The Holy Spirit is not limited by anything except God - but will act in accordance with what is set forth in the Bible.






Because it's not true. You will never understand it in your current state.
And if you are so kind as to explain how the HS works and what exactly is "set forth" in the ancient book?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2016, 04:27 PM
 
Location: GOVERNMENT of TRAITORS & NAZIS
20,595 posts, read 22,756,427 times
Reputation: 7630
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The bold is false. I recognize the importance of Bible as part of what Christ provides (through the Holy Spirit) to the world so that people can know Him.

Again - it's not an "either...or..." issue. The underlined is only true for unbelievers.
How long could you go without reading the ancient book before you started feeling pangs of guilt?

If after 20, 30 or ,more years, would one have enough "guidance" and get by without the ancient book and rely SOLELY on a personal relationship with Christ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2016, 08:50 PM
 
37,553 posts, read 25,268,086 times
Reputation: 5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Many people limit the work of the Spirit to what is in the Bible and say that the Spirit will not contradict it. That IS putting the Bible ahead of the Spirit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Exactly! If you say the Bible cannot be contradicted, you make the Bible your God and the Spirit its slave. How can they NOT understand this obvious truth, nate???? The Fundashield is powerful indeed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The Holy Spirit is not limited by anything except God - but will act in accordance with what is set forth in the Bible.
Because it's not true. You will never understand it in your current state.
Clearly your mind is not capable of even simple critical thinking. The idea that the Spirit must act in accordance with ANYTHING means it is controlled by whatever that IS. That MEANS that if it must act in accordance with the Bible, the Bible is limiting and controlling the Spirit which makes the Bible YOUR God, NOT the Spirit. Under the NEW COVENANT we are told that the Spirit (Comforter) is sent in Christ's name to guide us to the truth God has "written in our hearts," NOT written in the Bible. That makes the Spirit controlling and limiting what is interpreted from the Bible, NOT vice-versa. You do NOT use the Spirit to TEST the truth value of anything in the Bible. This is incomprehensible to me since the standard of the Spirit of agape love is clearly delineated in 1 Cor 13, Galatians 5 and the Sermon on the Mount. Why do you not test anything against that standard???Because you don't, you along with the majority are now the very apostates prophesied for these latter days believing in the anti-Christ dogma of a wrathful and vengeful God who needed blood sacrifices to appease Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2016, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
26,246 posts, read 14,124,700 times
Reputation: 10117
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
And if you are so kind as to explain how the HS works and what exactly is "set forth" in the ancient book?
John 7:38-39 - 38 "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, 'From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.' " 39 But this He spoke of the Spirit, whom those who believed in Him were to receive; for the Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

John 14:16-17 - 16 "I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; 17 that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you.

John 14:26 - "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.

John 15:26 - 26 "When the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, that is the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify about Me,

John 16:7-14 - "But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you. 8 "And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment; 9 concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me; 10 and concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me; 11 and concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged. 12 "I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot * bear them now. 13 "But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. 14 "He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you.

Romans 8:16 - The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God,

Romans 8:26 - 26 In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; 27 and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.


1 Corinthians 12:4, 11 - 4 Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills.

1 Corinthians 2:10-14 - For to us God revealed them through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God. 11 For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God, 13 which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words. 14 But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2016, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
26,246 posts, read 14,124,700 times
Reputation: 10117
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Clearly your mind is not capable of even simple critical thinking. The idea that the Spirit must act in accordance with ANYTHING means it is controlled by whatever that IS. That MEANS that if it must act in accordance with the Bible, the Bible is limiting and controlling the Spirit which makes the Bible YOUR God, NOT the Spirit. Under the NEW COVENANT we are told that the Spirit (Comforter) is sent in Christ's name to guide us to the truth God has "written in our hearts," NOT written in the Bible. That makes the Spirit controlling and limiting what is interpreted from the Bible, NOT vice-versa. You do NOT use the Spirit to TEST the truth value of anything in the Bible. This is incomprehensible to me since the standard of the Spirit of agape love is clearly delineated in 1 Cor 13, Galatians 5 and the Sermon on the Mount. Why do you not test anything against that standard???Because you don't, you along with the majority are now the very apostates prophesied for these latter days believing in the anti-Christ dogma of a wrathful and vengeful God who needed blood sacrifices to appease Him.

God controls what the Holy Spirit does. God is ultimately the author of the Bible,... therefore... God sets forth what the Holy Spirit does in the Bible.


Let's talk about critical thinking. A book is an inanimate object, capable of nothing. Yet for some reason, you continue to claim it is a god. It's not the book itself. It's the author of the book. He is the God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top