U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 07:02 AM

26,196 posts, read 14,086,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
How long could you go without reading the ancient book before you started feeling pangs of guilt?

If after 20, 30 or ,more years, would one have enough "guidance" and get by without the ancient book and rely SOLELY on a personal relationship with Christ?

Guilt? The terms you use indicate that you really don not understand one's relationship w/ Christ.

Why would I want to get by without the Bible? It's about the relationship and the reading of God's word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 08:05 AM

10,290 posts, read 8,038,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Guilt? The terms you use indicate that you really don not understand one's relationship w/ Christ.

Why would I want to get by without the Bible? It's about the relationship and the reading of God's word.
Amen, DRob4JC, why can they not understand that ?
It's like any kind of relationship getting to know that individual and in this case since God is not sitting next to us in a chair (physically) and sharing with us the things about Himself, rather we read the scripture that tell us all about Himself . This is how He communicates with us in getting to know Him and His will for our lives.
We read, listen, apply the scripture in our lives and then we begin to recognize His voice and see His Character working and living, building upon that relationship with us. And then when we come to where we have begun to learn to recognize the things of Him knowing what it is that pleases Him and how to worship, honor, obey and do the things that build upon that relationship through His Holy Spirit whom gives us the reassurance that it is He and He will give the confidence through His Spirit that we are on the right path in our lives .

Jesus warned about there are other voices out there that say they are Him and are trying to lead us away from Him and will use what ever they can, even the scripture especially to deceive but because of our relationship with Him we recognize, discern when the Holy Spirit points out the heresy of what they say and we turn away from the lies.
That is what is so important about building that relationship it keeps us close to Him and we see Him more and more everyday !
And it all started by reading the word of God, just like it says, "So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ." Rom.10:17

That is how His Spirit drawed us into faith to believe and trust God with all our hearts, soul, and bodies !!

Amen !!

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
God controls what the Holy Spirit does. God is ultimately the author of the Bible,... therefore... God sets forth what the Holy Spirit does in the Bible.

Let's talk about critical thinking. A book is an inanimate object, capable of nothing. Yet for some reason, you continue to claim it is a god. It's not the book itself. It's the author of the book. He is the God.
Amen !
It's like any other book we read, that is the book is not the person but the author of the book is the person

Last edited by Cyber Munchkin; 03-23-2016 at 08:24 AM..

Old 03-23-2016, 08:13 AM

1,592 posts, read 824,185 times
What if you have an old bible and a couple pages fall out?

Old 03-23-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
Put them back in easy solution !

Old 03-23-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Put them back in easy solution !
Those missing pages are long gone. I hope I'm not going to hell.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Those missing pages are long gone. I hope I'm not going to hell.
LOL, me too !

Old 03-23-2016, 09:04 AM

26,196 posts, read 14,086,044 times
Quote:
It depends which pages they are.

If they are from Jonah or Obadiah (which is probably one page unless you have a large print version), I think you will be OK.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:21 AM

15,134 posts, read 8,222,812 times
Quote:
biblegateway.com

Old 03-23-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
biblegateway.com
Looks like I may get to heaven after all!

Old 03-23-2016, 09:37 AM

10,474 posts, read 4,130,163 times
depends. Can you understand the whole bible to understand the bible. Hmmm, do we have to know all of math to be able to understand math?

clowns to the left of me
jokers to ther right
here I am ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or