U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 02:24 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,685,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Why is this so important to you?
Not a matter of importance, but the Truth matters more than false doctrine that is passed as truth. It proves the point that when you show actual scriptures to prove your point the following comes:

-What does it matter
-Why is it important
-Days dont matter or other cop outs to avoid actually seeing scriptures in context

And this is a basic question that young kids in church ask the adults and they have no clue, but to do the same mental game to make up an answer rather than read the bible and see what it says.

Many Christians hate this topic, because its all they have known (Friday death & Sunday sunrise resurrection) and been passed down to them and go into shock when you can actually prove a Friday death is false and goes agaisnt the actual words of Jesus of having to be in the grave 3 days/ 3 nights. Remember if he wasnt in the grave 3 days/3 nights, he wasnt the Messiah, because that is the only sign he gave them. Being places in the grave before sunset on Fri and being raised Sun morning is 1.5 days.

So this should be quite important to all Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 02:24 PM

5,504 posts, read 2,576,967 times
Quote:
Why is this so important to you?
Well, it could mean that Jesus was not executed on the Friday as claimed. If that's the case then the Easter weekend should begin on Wednesday. That's two whole extra days of holiday!

Old 03-23-2016, 03:09 PM

7,844 posts, read 6,642,480 times
Actually Good Friday is the traditional Holy Day since after the fall of the Roman Empire in Byzantine , and many Christians nations have recognized the day for a long time , as it gives the sacrifice of Jesus Christ a public view , which is preferred ..........So whether Jesus was killed on Wednesday or other day, is more of a curiosity , and not a law from God , like many people like to condemn Easter

Old 03-23-2016, 03:39 PM

19,952 posts, read 12,929,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Not a matter of importance, but the Truth matters more than false doctrine that is passed as truth. It proves the point that when you show actual scriptures to prove your point the following comes:

-What does it matter
-Why is it important
-Days dont matter or other cop outs to avoid actually seeing scriptures in context

And this is a basic question that young kids in church ask the adults and they have no clue, but to do the same mental game to make up an answer rather than read the bible and see what it says.

Many Christians hate this topic, because its all they have known (Friday death & Sunday sunrise resurrection) and been passed down to them and go into shock when you can actually prove a Friday death is false and goes agaisnt the actual words of Jesus of having to be in the grave 3 days/ 3 nights. Remember if he wasnt in the grave 3 days/3 nights, he wasnt the Messiah, because that is the only sign he gave them. Being places in the grave before sunset on Fri and being raised Sun morning is 1.5 days.

So this should be quite important to all Christians.
He was in the tomb before sundown Friday. That's one day. He was in there all day Saturday. That's 2. He was in there part of Sunday. That's 3. That's how the Gospel writers wrote it. You can disagree with it....I honestly don't care. I don't consider it to be important. The important thing was that he was dead, and he rose.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:01 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,685,824 times
Quote:
He was in the tomb before sundown Friday. That's one day. He was in there all day Saturday. That's 2. He was in there part of Sunday. That's 3. That's how the Gospel writers wrote it. You can disagree with it....I honestly don't care. I don't consider it to be important. The important thing was that he was dead, and he rose.

Jews dont count time as parts of days, but lets say you are correct by what you put.
3 hours on a Friday from 3PM and being put in the grave before sunset @ 6pm= 1 day
Friday Night to Saturday Night= 1 night/ 1 day
Part of early hours of the morning on Sunday after sunset Sat=1 night

So you still dont have 3 days/3 nights or barley even 2 days here.

Matthew 12:38-40
The Scribes and Pharisees Ask for a Sign
38 Then some of the scribes and Pharisees answered, saying, “Teacher, we want to see a sign from You.”
39 But He answered and said to them, “An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. 40 For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

If you're a Pastor, it is extremely important, because what you just listed is a man who IS NOT the Messiah. Jesus said he would be in the grave 3 days and 3 nights and that was the only sign he gave that he would be the Messiah, so the important thing should be that he was dead for 3 days/ 3nights and he rose, which would fulfill his prophecy and you know for sure it was the actual son of God who rose.

Jesus knew there were twelve hours in a day; therefore He prophesied seventy-two hours in a grave (John 11:9-10).

Old 03-23-2016, 08:37 PM

802 posts, read 291,450 times
[quote=SAAN;43460540][quote=Aristotle's Child;43457672]Question: Perhaps I’m missing something but how does one get three days and three nights (and not more than three days and three nights) out of Wednesday’s crucifixion?

Wednesday = Day 1 and 1st night
Thursday = Day 2 and 2nd night
Friday = Day 3 and 3rd night
Saturday = Day 4 and 4th night
Raised on Sunday = Day 5 and no night.

Of course the official scriptural version is:
Crucified and buried on Friday = Day 1 and night 1
In tomb on Saturday = Day 2 and night 2
Raised from the dead on Sunday = Day 3, no night./quote]

He was placed in tomb around 6pm(sunset) on Wednesday and at sunset on Saturday night he rose, which was considered the 1st day of the week, since a new day started at sunset and fulfilled the 3 days/3 nights. All 4 gospels said he rose early in the morning on the 1st day of the week, not at sunrise. They came at sunrise to see he was already gone.

Wed 6PM-Thur 6PM= 1 night/1day
Thur 6PM-Fri 6PM= 1 night/1day
Fri 6PM-Sat 6PM= 1 night/1day

So you have 3 full days & 3 full nights. Jesus gave 1 sign and 1 sign only and it was he was going to be in the grave 3 days and 3 nights. If he wasnt in the grave 3 days & 3 nights aka Fri-Sun, HE IS NOT THE MESSIAH.

RESPONSE:

Are you saying that Jesus rose from the dead by 6 PM Saturday?

If Jesus's body was taken down so he would not remain on the cross on the Sabbath, what Sabbath are you claiming that Thursday was?

"According to the Bible, the Sabbath or Saturday is the last day of the week which marks Sunday as the first day of the week for many Jewish and Christian faiths, while many countries regard Monday as the first day of the week."

Old 03-23-2016, 09:59 PM

4,034 posts, read 1,132,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post

So you still dont have 3 days/3 nights or barley even 2 days here.

And yet he still hops out of the grave.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:03 PM

4,034 posts, read 1,132,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Yeah, I don't think ,'' Didst,'' is a word but I am giving you points for creating a word like I would have.

Heck, maybe it is a word, lol,

I think we should put your name on it either way.

Thanks Hannibal!

Old 03-23-2016, 10:35 PM

8,553 posts, read 5,097,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Yeah, I don't think ,'' Didst,'' is a word but I am giving you points for creating a word like I would have.

Heck, maybe it is a word, lol,

I think we should put your name on it either way.
It's the archaic second person singular past of do.

I was pretty sure I knew it, but I didst look it up because I have readest it in the past.

As far as the OP's point there is a discrepancy, but the discrepancy has nothing to do with the message. For once Vizio got it right.

There are two ways to view discrepancies in Scripture. One is the fundamentalist way, and in this sense I mean atheist and christian fundamentalists, one side trying to "disprove" the bible (see OzzyRules' posts), and the other side of the same coin is to be a bible idolator and try to create stories that reconcile them to perfection (at least in the minds of fundamentalist christians). The second way is to understand it is a discrepancy because the writers were human--and anyway the point of Scripture with regard to its stories is beyond whether the nitpicking details are right or wrong. The only proper response is, "So what?"

Last edited by Wardendresden; 03-23-2016 at 10:44 PM..

Old 03-23-2016, 11:30 PM

34,136 posts, read 8,770,583 times
Quote:
That seems to be it. Just a tiddley bit of the Friday (Saturday Sabbath began at evening), Saturday and the night to dawn (half of Sunday) is counted as 3 days. It looks more like a day and half, but that is the only way you can make it "3 days".

The crucifixion was on the Friday. Change it to Wednesday and you may as well junk the whole Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or