U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-24-2016, 05:16 PM
Status: "Amused by BF." (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
23,278 posts, read 12,061,902 times
Reputation: 10635

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
This message brought to you by conservative fundamentalism.

Translation for those living outside the Bible belt or above the rabbit hole: Believe what we believe or go to hell.
It's all they got - threats.

Fundamentalists are the most fearful people on the planet. Because they've bowed to their bully godling's threats, they think all should be similarly cowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-24-2016, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
2,202 posts, read 1,319,865 times
Reputation: 1353
Pagans defined as those who do not believe in Jesus Christ are not saved at least according to God's
legalistic rule. It has nothing to do with religion which is a separate enity than scripture. Religion is man's means of reaching God and is helpful except when detouring from the word which most do. Christianity attempt to distance itself from organized religion in order to experience truth without the interference from so-called " conferences" "synod's" and conventions most having tweeked tons of dogmas suggesting exclusivity. ( a red flag). pagans apparently are earmarked for hell sadly I'm not the judge? ( Got Water?!!!)

Last edited by openmike; 03-24-2016 at 05:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2016, 06:41 PM
 
8,544 posts, read 11,876,258 times
Reputation: 3100
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
pagans apparently are earmarked for hell sadly I'm not the judge? ( Got Water?!!!)
Isn't that convenient. You say that as if you don't like it. Yet why do you believe it, if you really don't like it?

My guess is that Christians like the idea of judgement and torment. Why else would they believe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2016, 07:11 PM
Status: "Amused by BF." (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
23,278 posts, read 12,061,902 times
Reputation: 10635
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Isn't that convenient. You say that as if you don't like it. Yet why do you believe it, if you really don't like it?

My guess is that Christians like the idea of judgement and torment. Why else would they believe it.
Fundies live in a black & white, simplistic world, pretty much by necessity. They don't have the necessary tools to cope with a nuanced, many-shades-of-grey world.

So they shut it out. And consign those who can discern those nuances, to hell.

And the truly stupid and un-empathetic of them gloat at the prospect of such as you and I howling with pain for eternity.

Although they inspire anger and outrage in me, I still pity them for their small, narrow, much-askew worldviews and dark spirits. They waste their Creator's greatest gifts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2016, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,265 posts, read 20,872,370 times
Reputation: 9950
It seems to me that, assuming for the sake of this thread, that Christianity is true, there are a limited number of options regarding the fate of "pagans" (which I'm assuming to mean all non-Christians). They are:

1. Jesus Christ's Atonement saved all, regardless of what they believe or how they lived, and that what the Bible says about having to believe in Him really isn't accurate.

2. Belief in Jesus Christ is required, and if a person died having never heard of Him, that's just tough. He goes to Hell for having been born at the wrong time or in the wrong place.

3. Belief in Jesus Christ is required, except when it isn't. In other words, God intends to waive the requirement for those who never heard of His Son, or whenever else He happens to feel like it.

4. Belief in Jesus Christ is required, and those who never heard of Him will experience some kind of epiphany at the instant of death and and inexplicably know that He is their Savior.

5. Belief in Jesus Christ is required, but those who didn't hear about Him during their mortal lives will have the opportunity to do so after their death but prior to their resurrection.

In working through the logic of it, I honestly can't think of any other possibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2016, 07:33 PM
Status: "More than chromosomes." (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: Anderson, IN
4,065 posts, read 1,144,865 times
Reputation: 2483
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Isn't that convenient. You say that as if you don't like it. Yet why do you believe it, if you really don't like it?

My guess is that Christians like the idea of judgement and torment. Why else would they believe it.

A certain group of Christians, yes.

I saw a documentary that truly frightened and sickened me. It's called Waiting For Armageddon. It's about fundamentalist Christians belief in the rapture, and how they are practically giddy in anticipating it. according to them, Christ will return and rapture out the Christians. And leave everyone else behind. After which planes will drop out of the sky, cars on roadways will be left driverless, and other horrors. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions will die in the aftermath. And they are happy about all of this. It's pretty messed up to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2016, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
5,509 posts, read 2,591,975 times
Reputation: 2785
How are Pagans saved? To answer the OP, by leaving them alone. They probably already have the right answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2016, 10:03 PM
 
Location: California USA
849 posts, read 571,066 times
Reputation: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
If Christianity really is true, then how is a person who has grown up worshiping the wrong "god" or "gods" ever saved? If they continue believing in their god until they day they die, and they have never known about the so-called true God that you worship. (That of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Jesus, etc)
An alternative viewpoint that runs counter to mainstream Christianity but can also be explained by using the Bible:

Paul talks about a resurrection of the righteous and unrighteous-Acts 24:15

John writes in Revelation that there will be a period of a thousand years in which Satan will be bound up. For what purpose? During this time people are resurrected. Some are resurrected to immortality such as the apostles They have proven themselves faithful to the end. However, others such as people who died in ignorance ("unrighteous") will be given the opportunity to learn about the true God without interference from Satan. The Bible tells us that Satan rules this world, 1 John 5:19, so he needs to be "bound" so that people will have the best chance of learning about God without Satan's influence or interference. See Revelation 20:4-15

I don't believe in hell or immortality of the soul because the word is not found in the earliest copies of the Bible and runs counter to what the Bible does teach about death. I do believe in the resurrection because the ancient Hebrews including Jesus as well as the early Christians were familiar with resurrection. So it would be entirely possible, for example, that some non Christian Tibetan or <fill in the blank> who did not have the opportunity to learn about the Judeo-Christian God would be brought back to life.

The Bible tells us that God has given the right to judge mankind to Jesus so Christians do not judge -John 5:22,27.

However, it would be disingenuous to give the appearance that none who are resurrected do not suffer an adverse judgement and die because the Bible states some will undergo the "second death." But, it wont be because God hasn't provided a clear way to everlasting life. See Revelation 20:14-15 and what Jesus said would be the outcome for some of the religious leaders in his day-Mark 9:47,48.

Last edited by hd4me; 03-24-2016 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top