U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 06:24 PM

105 posts, read 47,567 times

Advertisements

By the time you read this, you will have been received into the One True Holy Catholic Church! I went through 2 years ago, best decision of my life. Welcome Home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 07:05 PM

10,495 posts, read 4,137,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Hi everyone, I am currently (not for much longer) going through RCIA. I was never raised christian or any religion for that matter when I was young. I married a catholic girl almost 7 years ago and at the time of our marriage it never crossed my mind to become catholic. After having three kids and deciding we wanted to raise out kids Catholic I decided to become Catholic as well.

I have to say, it has been a wonder experience going through RCIA with the team at my local parish. I was the only one this year, so I had a lot of one-on-one and personal interaction with the team which made the experience that much more enjoyable.

So is anyone else going through RCIA? What has your experience been like?
to give your kids a real choice they should know "belief" and "non-belief". How to properly compare what is "correct" about religions and what is "dangerous" about them. I thinks its good you team up, but don't lose sight of the fact that we need to keep "your god" out of the reason for doing things ... We do some good things for eachother because all we have is each other no matter what we believe.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:43 PM

1,480 posts, read 793,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
but don't lose sight of the fact that we need to keep "your god" out of the reason for doing things ...

so sorry, not sure what you exactly mean by that. FWIW, the constitution guarantees "freedom of religion" (NOT just freedom of worship), freedom of expression, and freedom of association so individuals (yes, even parents) have a right to have a particular set of beliefs (religious, politicol, philosophical, moral, what have you) and act accordingly either alone or as a group in both personal and public affairs. ---even in such an extreme case as sharing/teaching their beliefs to their children---just as those of non-religious/humanist/atheist/neo--pagan/etc. "belief systems" have a right to teach their beliefs or lack of same to their children.

OTOH, one way or another, most of the kids will eventually come to their own set of beliefs in their own time and in their own way (sometimes because and sometimes in spite of) their parents attempts so any fears of total "brain-washing" by religious (or even non-religious) parents of their poor defenseless kids generally evaporates to a greater or lesser degree sooner or later.

if one set of beliefs (either theist or non-theist or any other "ism" or "ology") is "kept out of the reason for doing things" or otherwise suppressed or forbidden to be shared or expressed then when will OTHER beliefs (perhaps the ones you support) also be in danger of the same fate and then indeed what becomes of real freedom of action or thought for anybody?

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 03-26-2016 at 08:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity