U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 02:29 PM

943 posts, read 673,284 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am currently (not for much longer) going through RCIA. I was never raised christian or any religion for that matter when I was young. I married a catholic girl almost 7 years ago and at the time of our marriage it never crossed my mind to become catholic. After having three kids and deciding we wanted to raise out kids Catholic I decided to become Catholic as well.

I have to say, it has been a wonder experience going through RCIA with the team at my local parish. I was the only one this year, so I had a lot of one-on-one and personal interaction with the team which made the experience that much more enjoyable.

So is anyone else going through RCIA? What has your experience been like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 02:33 PM

4,573 posts, read 2,268,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Hi everyone, I am currently (not for much longer) going through RCIA. I was never raised christian or any religion for that matter when I was young. I married a catholic girl almost 7 years ago and at the time of our marriage it never crossed my mind to become catholic. After having three kids and deciding we wanted to raise out kids Catholic I decided to become Catholic as well.
I have to say, it has been a wonder experience going through RCIA with the team at my local parish. I was the only one this year, so I had a lot of one-on-one and personal interaction with the team which made the experience that much more enjoyable.
No, never went through RCIA, but what teaching helped you decide?

Old 03-24-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
No, never went through RCIA, but what teaching helped you decide?
It really wasn't just one thing. I went to church with my wife every now and then and over time it just felt 'right.' Then I decided to really start taking Christianity seriously. I looked into different forms of Christianity and after researching and talking with different people in my life I felt the most 'at home' and identified more with the teachings of the Catholic church over other denominations.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:57 PM

1,481 posts, read 794,258 times
being a "cradle catholic" never went through RCIA but it sounds like it "worked" for you (perhaps because you did get the one on one time). just in case you might want some extra material after the class I might recommend the book "Catholicism for dummies" which is a great source for info on the what, why's, and where's of our faith told in an engaging and fun manner.

good luck and may God bless you and your family and bring you to where you want and need to be to know, love, and serve God and your neighbor.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:02 PM

20,187 posts, read 12,831,584 times
How wonderful. Welcome home!!!

Old 03-26-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
How wonderful. Welcome home!!!
Thank you!

Old 03-26-2016, 11:16 AM

19,952 posts, read 12,976,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post

I grew up Catholic and went through CCD. I was confirmed in 8th grade, so I never had the experience of RCIA. My stepmother did, though.

Do you believe you are starting to really believe Catholicism? I mean...do you still view it as just something you're doing because of your wife and kids?

Old 03-26-2016, 11:30 AM

20,572 posts, read 22,733,728 times
I am confused? Why can't one just say I AM CATHOLIC? What would Jesus have to do to be "catholic?"

Old 03-26-2016, 11:48 AM

17,724 posts, read 8,879,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I am confused? Why can't one just say I AM CATHOLIC? What would Jesus have to do to be "catholic?"
Jesus didn't fit the mold of any religious establishment.
He walked in the Spirit, while reaching out to humanity.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:58 AM

19,952 posts, read 12,976,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Within Christianity, the term "catholic" has always meant "universal". It's a word used to describe the global Christian church. Biblically, it would mean to suggst the Christians in Rome, Thessalonica, Berea, Antioch, etc......all of them.

The Roman Catholic Church has taken it and turned it into a personal name. When you use it capitalized, it indicates membership in their denomination, or church. Honestly, it's kind of a contradiction in terms to use the word and then limit it as they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity