U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 07:16 PM

105 posts, read 47,895 times

Advertisements

As a Catholic convert (grew up protestant) I have zero desire to watch any of those people you've listed, even though I know who some of them are. Many are shysters, but all of them serve the lord of money, materialism and the world. It's interesting that you should say that the priests, nuns/sisters and monks/brothers don't know what they're "missing",when in fact they do know what they're "missing". They are no longer burdened by desire for worldly things (expensive homes, cars, clothing, travel, etc) and all of the people that you listed are (or were before they died). When the religious (priests, nuns, etc) are ordained or veiled, they die to their old selves and completely give themselves to God. They devote every single day to prayer, even when traveling or on vacation and pray several times a day. Many of them own nothing - no property, cars, electronics, etc. Most give what money they do have to the Church and helping others.

Don't feel sorry for Catholics. We have a rich and deep connection with our Lord Jesus Christ. We attend Mass daily and receive the Eucharist, the actual body and blood of Christ. We have tradition and liturgy, we study the word of God. Mass is dedicated 100% to worship, not entertainment or "feel good" stories. We have EWTN and Catholic radio along with many devoted and inspiring Catholic Christians who help along the way. We're doing just fine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 07:31 PM

1,482 posts, read 799,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
My take is there is a reason why Baptists, Catholics,Lutherns and most organized religious faiths are left out of the loop of end-times ,but since I cannot wrp my mind or fathom their mindsets I'm resigning it all up to Holy Spirit enlightenment as these faiths as segregated as they are have potential. They simple need to challenge their mentors ( too many philosophically opposed to prophecy due to fear ,attendance, tithe pressure and ignorance). God has His reasons for allowing blinders ( that will change with the coming signs and pangs). God bless my fellow Christians it's all good!

FWIW Mike, Catholics aren't required to tithe so there is no "tithe pressure" to worry about.

as for the end times, Catholics (and Orthodox) like all Christians are aware of, expect, and hope for the second coming of Christ and His kingdom. they just don't know when for sure since even Jesus said that "NO ONE knows the day or the hour" but that coming "would come like a thief in the night"---think He meant exactly what He said in both.

if He comes tomorrow or a thousand years from tomorrow He will come and Catholics and other Christians should strive to be ready to meet their Maker at the end of the natural lives or the end of the world, "...to live soberly, piously, and justly in the present course of things awaiting the blessed hope and appearing.....of our great Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ." (Titus 2: 11-13).

in the peace of Christ.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:45 AM

5,850 posts, read 3,125,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Haven't heard of many of them. I saw Baker some but won't listen to him anymore. I have seen Olsteen but consider him more of a motivational speaker then a minister. I've watched TBN but if that is Pat Robertson I don't watch him anymore since he is always talking about end times.

I would have to ask you if you watch EWTN, listen to Catholic radio and go to Catholic Answers Or watch any of it on youtube?

Of course, I don't agree with you on feeling sorry. I feel sorry for you since you stopped going to the Church that has the fullness of truth. Go to "Coming Home" program on EWTN and listen to all the Protestant ministers who came to that conclusion and converted to the Catholic Church.
TBN was the biggest network run by the Crouch's, one of the pink haired wives of the evangelical world surviving her husband, while their son and his wife seems to be taking over as the public face. Pat Robertson had CBN which most of was sold off to become first FOX Family then ABC Family, before ABC Family followed contemporary culture and started to redifine family and recently annouced the new name of Freeform, but his 700 Club is syndicated in many places including TBN and the other big evangelic networks like Daystar.

As the years pass the ministries which syndicate on TBN and the others get updated as local megachurches grow and shrink effecting their ability to buy into the big network and not just 4 AM with the infomercials on the general networks.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:46 PM

3,217 posts, read 1,121,257 times
I am a Lutheran and dont feel at all at a loss of anything. Infact, I also worship at Methodist and Episcopal Churches. My wife is Roman Catholic and I was born again due to her prayers and example of prayer. Guess what I dont watch any evangelicals on TV. I was raised Pentecostal and left evangelical fundementalism behind never looking back. If anyone listens to podcasts, listen to one called Radical Grace Radio, its Lutheran and a weekly review of news. Love being Lutheran and love Methodism, Anglicanism, and Roman Catholics and the toelerance and intelligence and faith they all share despite many diferences.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:06 PM

20,187 posts, read 12,871,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
I am a Lutheran and dont feel at all at a loss of anything. Infact, I also worship at Methodist and Episcopal Churches. My wife is Roman Catholic and I was born again due to her prayers and example of prayer. Guess what I dont watch any evangelicals on TV. I was raised Pentecostal and left evangelical fundementalism behind never looking back. If anyone listens to podcasts, listen to one called Radical Grace Radio, its Lutheran and a weekly review of news. Love being Lutheran and love Methodism, Anglicanism, and Roman Catholics and the toelerance and intelligence and faith they all share despite many diferences.
Start listening to Catholic radio and go to Catholic Answers to ask questions. Maybe your wife will come back to the Church. The Lutheran church is about like the Catholic Church but they don't have Jesus in their communion. Maybe your wife never believed it but that is because she had bad teachers.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Start listening to Catholic radio and go to Catholic Answers to ask questions. Maybe your wife will come back to the Church. The Lutheran church is about like the Catholic Church but they don't have Jesus in their communion. Maybe your wife never believed it but that is because she had bad teachers.
What ? My wife is Catholic. What are you talking about.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:18 PM

5,589 posts, read 4,815,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
When I reflect on what priests ,nuns and ministers miss it saddens me . I see them wallowing in religion with a limited scope both scripturally and even growth.
The limited scope is from the evangelicals. Catholics are the only ones I am aware of that listen to Augustine as in changing ones views as they learn more. Evolution, Big Bang, what parts of scripture are mythology(Adam and Eve, Flood, etc) There is no growth that I can see in evangelical beliefs as in if its not is scripture it doesn't exist. So much has been discovered in the last 2000 years and some still stick to a single book.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:30 AM

Quote:
What ? My wife is Catholic. What are you talking about.
Oh, I thought you meant you and your wife go to the Lutheran Church together.

Old 03-31-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Oh, I thought you meant you and your wife go to the Lutheran Church together.
That happens on occasion. So what are you declaring ? She is damned ?

Old 03-31-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
That happens on occasion. So what are you declaring ? She is damned ?
Not at all, I have been to many other Church services in other denominations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity