U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-25-2016, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
2,202 posts, read 1,319,865 times
Reputation: 1353

Advertisements

Christians periododically plaqued by historic errors of religion ( not scripture) will actually be celebrating Jesus rising from the
dead almost a full month before the anniversary of His crucifiction. So following traditions from man again short circuited our
Hebrew roots tossed out around 325 ad by the churhes good buddy Constantine ( who mandated Sun Day or the worship of the sun god!!!) what a guy!! Anyway, he also took the early church off the calendar . Be careful who you choose to follow as he remained a pagan in spite of opening doors for christians ( politically motivated)..
In Leviticus 23: 5 it says Passover should be on the14th day of the first month. Not January or March but Nisan ( in the biblical calendar ) This year Passover is on Nisan 14 at sundown April 22 .

Last edited by openmike; 03-25-2016 at 12:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-25-2016, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,265 posts, read 20,872,370 times
Reputation: 9950
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
In Leviticus 23: 5 it says Passover should be on the14th day of the first month. Not January or March but Nisan ( in the biblical calendar ) This year Passover is on Nisan 14 at sundown April 22 .
But we're not celebrating Passover. We're celebrating the Resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ, which happened to coincide with Passover on the year that it took place. Really, in the overall scheme of things, why does it matter if a specific day of remembrance falls on the actual day of the original event? That seems awfully petty to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2016, 12:52 PM
 
1,480 posts, read 793,404 times
Reputation: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
But we're not celebrating Passover. We're celebrating the Resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ, which happened to coincide with Passover on the year that it took place. Really, in the overall scheme of things, why does it matter if a specific day of remembrance falls on the actual day of the original event? That seems awfully petty to me.

exactly. IMHO God is not mocked nor Jesus slighted as to which exact day of the Resurrection is celebrated as long as we as Christians remember, honor, celebrate that it did indeed happen. the holiday is NOT specifically the Passover of the "old" covenant but instead all about the passion, death, and rising to life of Jesus Christ the sinless Lamb of God of the "new" covenant.


FWIW, this kind of discussion harks back to similar dust-ups about when is the right day and what is the right way to "honor" the Lords Day" ("the Sabbath was made for man NOT man for the Sabbath", BTW) or the day of Jesus birth.


let everyone honor and celebrate their holy days when they will and as they will---the ultimate question is if those celebrations lead us to greater personal holiness for the rest of the time after the "holy" days are finished.


a blessed and happy Resurrection Day/"Easter" to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2016, 01:10 PM
 
4,041 posts, read 3,701,271 times
Reputation: 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
But we're not celebrating Passover. We're celebrating the Resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ, which happened to coincide with Passover on the year that it took place. Really, in the overall scheme of things, why does it matter if a specific day of remembrance falls on the actual day of the original event? That seems awfully petty to me.

Jesus died on Passover over and rose on First Fruits, he didnt die Good Friday and rise Easter Sunday morning, those are all teachings of Rome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2016, 01:29 PM
 
20,299 posts, read 15,642,764 times
Reputation: 7408
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Christians periododically plaqued by historic errors of religion ( not scripture) will actually be celebrating Jesus rising from the
dead almost a full month before the anniversary of His crucifiction. So following traditions from man again short circuited our
Hebrew roots tossed out around 325 ad by the churhes good buddy Constantine ( who mandated Sun Day or the worship of the sun god!!!) what a guy!! Anyway, he also took the early church off the calendar . Be careful who you choose to follow as he remained a pagan in spite of opening doors for christians ( politically motivated)..
In Leviticus 23: 5 it says Passover should be on the14th day of the first month. Not January or March but Nisan ( in the biblical calendar ) This year Passover is on Nisan 14 at sundown April 22 .
With regard to Sunday worship, that was the practice of the church right from the beginning because it was the day on which Jesus was resurrected. From Justin Martyr it can be seen that Sunday worship was the norm long before Constantine came along.
JUSTIN MARTYR -- THE FIRST APOLOGY OF JUSTIN (A.D. 150-160).
CHAPTER LXVII -- WEEKLY WORSHIP OF THE CHRIS- TIANS.

And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons. And they who are well to do, and willing, give what each thinks fit; and what is collected is deposited with the president, who succours the orphans and widows and those who, through sickness or any other cause, are in want, and those who are in bonds and the strangers sojourning among us, and in a word takes care of all who are in need. But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Saviour on the same day rose from the dead. [Bolding mine]

Saint Justin Martyr: First Apology (Roberts-Donaldson)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2016, 02:22 PM
 
1,480 posts, read 793,404 times
Reputation: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
With regard to Sunday worship, that was the practice of the church right from the beginning because it was the day on which Jesus was resurrected. From Justin Martyr it can be seen that Sunday worship was the norm long before Constantine came along.
JUSTIN MARTYR -- THE FIRST APOLOGY OF JUSTIN (A.D. 150-160).
CHAPTER LXVII -- WEEKLY WORSHIP OF THE CHRIS- TIANS.

And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons. And they who are well to do, and willing, give what each thinks fit; and what is collected is deposited with the president, who succours the orphans and widows and those who, through sickness or any other cause, are in want, and those who are in bonds and the strangers sojourning among us, and in a word takes care of all who are in need. But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Saviour on the same day rose from the dead. [Bolding mine]

Saint Justin Martyr: First Apology (Roberts-Donaldson)
and right on, big guy. thanks for the citation on the practices of the early Christians. the Resurrection happened after Passover and the Sabbath so the Christian celebration of that rising happens on Sunday and each Sunday of the rest of the year is in itself a continuing remembrance of that supreme event and it's implications for those who believe that by faith in Christ and love of God and neighbor they may also share in His victory over sin and death.


may God bless you and give you and yours a happy "Easter" season.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 03-25-2016 at 03:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2016, 02:59 PM
Status: "Even better than okay" (set 9 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
51,240 posts, read 50,519,955 times
Reputation: 60110
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Jesus died on Passover over and rose on First Fruits, he didnt die Good Friday and rise Easter Sunday morning, those are all teachings of Rome.
And we all know that, and we all know the timing of Easter is based on the pagan spring fertility holidsy, and you know we all know that, yet EVERY YEAR somebody prances up in here and brings it up like it's some earthshattering breaking news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2016, 03:03 PM
 
20,299 posts, read 15,642,764 times
Reputation: 7408
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
and right on, big guy. thanks for the citation on the practices of the early Christians. the Resurrection happened after Passover and the Sabbath so the Christian celebration of that rising happens on Sunday (and each Sunday of the rest of the year is in itself a continuing remembrance of that event and it's implications for those who believe that by faith in Christ and love of God and neighbor they may also share in His victory over sin and death.


may God bless you and give you and yours a happy "Easter" season.
You're welcome George, and thanks. And that's a good point. Each Sunday should be a reminder of Jesus' resurrection. Have a happy Easter weekend, and may God bless you as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2016, 03:16 PM
 
9,985 posts, read 6,383,652 times
Reputation: 5593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And we all know that, and we all know the timing of Easter is based on the pagan spring fertility holidsy, and you know we all know that, yet EVERY YEAR somebody prances up in here and brings it up like it's some earthshattering breaking news.
You're wrong.
Eostre (Anglicized: Easter) was nothing more than the seasonal pagan celebration
of the springtime in some Germanic tribes, at the time first encountered by Romans.

Concerning this thread, it's about the Quartodeciman controversy,
as it was initially encountered by Saint Polycarp and Pope Saint Anticetus.

Please understand.

Good Day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2016, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 22,500,688 times
Reputation: 10428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And we all know that, and we all know the timing of Easter is based on the pagan spring fertility holidsy, and you know we all know that, yet EVERY YEAR somebody prances up in here and brings it up like it's some earthshattering breaking news.
Well, like Christmas, there's always a 1/365 chance it's the right day Or maybe ask the Easter Bunny if we got it right this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top