U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-15-2016, 02:15 AM
 
Location: Illinois
4,754 posts, read 4,099,070 times
Reputation: 12891

Advertisements

Dear Christians: This thread is an excellent example of why you lose people and turn people off - nitpicking about what day the crucifixion was, arguing with other people about the tenants of their own faith, pretending to have a better understanding of a religion that is foreign to you than the people who have lived it, the absolutely egotistical need to not only be RIGHT but to prove the other person WRONG (what's that saying about pride?), focusing on ridiculous details that have NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT JESUS SAID.

S.M.H.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-15-2016, 01:52 PM
 
37,573 posts, read 25,268,086 times
Reputation: 5860
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Dear Christians: This thread is an excellent example of why you lose people and turn people off - nitpicking about what day the crucifixion was, arguing with other people about the tenants of their own faith, pretending to have a better understanding of a religion that is foreign to you than the people who have lived it, the absolutely egotistical need to not only be RIGHT but to prove the other person WRONG (what's that saying about pride?), focusing on ridiculous details that have NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT JESUS SAID.
S.M.H.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2016, 02:47 PM
 
1,419 posts, read 393,602 times
Reputation: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Dear Christians: This thread is an excellent example of why you lose people and turn people off - nitpicking about what day the crucifixion was, arguing with other people about the tenants of their own faith, pretending to have a better understanding of a religion that is foreign to you than the people who have lived it, the absolutely egotistical need to not only be RIGHT but to prove the other person WRONG (what's that saying about pride?), focusing on ridiculous details that have NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT JESUS SAID.

S.M.H.
Nothing to do with pride but accuracy........and the credibility of the Creator of the universe. If you approve of careless study and an indifferent attitude then just feel free to change whatever you like in the book to suit your particular denomination and it's traditions. Twisting scripture is where satan does his best work.

2Pe 3:16 as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures.

The Jesus I know is perfectly capable of knowing when 3 days and 3 nights is........maybe yours doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2016, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Illinois
4,754 posts, read 4,099,070 times
Reputation: 12891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Nothing to do with pride but accuracy........and the credibility of the Creator of the universe. If you approve of careless study and an indifferent attitude then just feel free to change whatever you like in the book to suit your particular denomination and it's traditions. Twisting scripture is where satan does his best work.

2Pe 3:16 as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures.

The Jesus I know is perfectly capable of knowing when 3 days and 3 nights is........maybe yours doesn't.
Do you honestly think the witness here brought anyone to Christianity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2016, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
5,517 posts, read 2,599,362 times
Reputation: 2788
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Dear Christians: This thread is an excellent example of why you lose people and turn people off - nitpicking about what day the crucifixion was, arguing with other people about the tenants of their own faith, pretending to have a better understanding of a religion that is foreign to you than the people who have lived it, the absolutely egotistical need to not only be RIGHT but to prove the other person WRONG (what's that saying about pride?), focusing on ridiculous details that have NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT JESUS SAID.

S.M.H.
Is it nitpicking?

The whole Christian religion is founded on the crucifixion. In every single Christian church anywhere in the world, there is an image or model of the cross with Jesus on it. The crucifix is the symbol of Christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2016, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Illinois
4,754 posts, read 4,099,070 times
Reputation: 12891
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No, Richard, that is who their expectations and traditional beliefs conditioned them to look for. They selected those scriptures that comported with their expectations and interpreted them accordingly. That is why they were wrong and rejected Jesus.
You're just as guilty, Mystic, with posts like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2016, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Illinois
4,754 posts, read 4,099,070 times
Reputation: 12891
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Is it nitpicking?

The whole Christian religion is founded on the crucifixion. In every single Christian church anywhere in the world, there is an image or model of the cross with Jesus on it. The crucifix is the symbol of Christianity.
Yes, it is. What actually changes if the crucifixion is on a Thursday, or a Tuesday? Christians know Jesus wasn't born on December 25th, and yet nothing has changed with that knowledge. What exactly is the purpose of "proving" Jesus was crucified on X day other than to prove others wrong and be smugly superior?

Edited to add: You are wrong about the cross - there are MANY Christian denominations that have the cross without Jesus on it, and I have been in churches that don't have crosses at all. Haven't you?

Last edited by MoonBeam33; 04-15-2016 at 04:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2016, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
5,517 posts, read 2,599,362 times
Reputation: 2788
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Yes, it is. What actually changes if the crucifixion is on a Thursday, or a Tuesday? Christians know Jesus wasn't born on December 25th, and yet nothing has changed with that knowledge. What exactly is the purpose of "proving" Jesus was crucified on X day other than to prove others wrong and be smugly superior?
I do believe the facts of the foundation should be correct. You wouldn't like it if you were building a new home and your builders weren't too particular about where they placed the foundations. They need to be under the actual walls for starters.

However, it was Easter that brought this topic up which makes sense. Some people like to have the correct facts. To me the problem was the timeline between the last supper and the crucifixion, not the three days and three nights. On the third day he rose from the dead. I see no problem with that. In fact, it makes more sense to me since I don't think this man actually died. Three days and three nights would be a bit long to be in a death like coma. Coming out of the coma in two days or less makes more sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2016, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Illinois
4,754 posts, read 4,099,070 times
Reputation: 12891
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I do believe the facts of the foundation should be correct. You wouldn't like it if you were building a new home and your builders weren't too particular about where they placed the foundations. They need to be under the actual walls for starters.

However, it was Easter that brought this topic up which makes sense. Some people like to have the correct facts. To me the problem was the timeline between the last supper and the crucifixion, not the three days and three nights. On the third day he rose from the dead. I see no problem with that. In fact, it makes more sense to me since I don't think this man actually died. Three days and three nights would be a bit long to be in a death like coma. Coming out of the coma in two days or less makes more sense.
Are you a Christian? (And I'm not, for the record). Does it change your faith in any meaningful way to know with accuracy what day Jesus was crucified? Do you think posting that "knowledge" here has brought ANY single person reading it to the Christian faith?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2016, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
5,517 posts, read 2,599,362 times
Reputation: 2788
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Are you a Christian? (And I'm not, for the record). Does it change your faith in any meaningful way to know with accuracy what day Jesus was crucified? Do you think posting that "knowledge" here has brought ANY single person reading it to the Christian faith?
No I am not. I doubt this discussion would make any difference to anyone's faith and I seriously doubt it would draw anyone into this faith.

I started out thinking there were too many inconsistencies and improbabilities for the account to be factual but between this thread and my own thread on the arrest timeline and events (plus further reading), I have come to the conclusion that there is no reason to doubt the events on the grounds of inaccurate reporting, meaning I have found no convincing evidence suggesting that the account is false.

It's been nice discussing with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top