U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 11:04 AM

34,702 posts, read 8,956,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Consider that they went to the tomb early on the first day of the week when it was dark and consider that to a Jew the first day of the week began Saturday after sunset...Hmmm...
I am aware that in Jewish reckoning Sunday began on the dusk of the Sabbath, and that when the Marys discovered the tomb open at dawn it was half -way through Sunday, the first day of the week. I don't see that it makes any difference to the crucifixion being on the Friday and having to be concluded before the arrival of Saturday in the evening.

This seems as plain as a pikestaff and I do not understand the fiddling that goes on trying to make it Wednesday or some other day.

P.s I am fine with those who don't care or 'interpret' it to mean whatever they want. I'm jut sort a bod who reads what the Bible says, rather than rewrite it to make it say what I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 11:11 AM

26,330 posts, read 13,962,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I am aware that in Jewish reckoning Sunday began on the dusk of the Sabbath, and that when the Marys discovered the tomb open at dawn it was half -way through Sunday, the first day of the week. I don't see that it makes any difference to the crucifixion being on the Friday and having to be concluded before the arrival of Saturday in the evening.

This seems as plain as a pikestaff and I do not understand the fiddling that goes on trying to make it Wednesday or some other day.
And the tomb was already empty implying that he rose on the Sabbath...It was dawning toward the first day of the week, which was after sundown Saturday...So, that mean that he only spent 12 hours in the tomb if he indeed was crucified on Friday...

Old 03-26-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
And the tomb was already empty implying that he rose on the Sabbath...It was dawning toward the first day of the week, which was after sundown Saturday...So, that mean that he only spent 12 hours in the tomb if he indeed was crucified on Friday...
Perhaps, though the rising was perhaps on the Sunday before Dawn. Still just a day and a half, though. Yes, I can see why some need to alter the crucifixion day to make it 3 days and three nights, but in disregarding the text, I think more is lost than gained.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:47 AM

17,797 posts, read 8,905,073 times
People seldom agree on every detail, even if they are eye witnesses.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:24 PM

802 posts, read 293,012 times
[quote=Vf6cruiser;43488632]Crucifixion was actually on a Thursday.......due to several confusing factors tradition has it Friday.

QUESTION:Are you saying that the Sabbath was actually on Friday that week?

Last edited by Aristotle's Child; 03-26-2016 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-26-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Perhaps, though the rising was perhaps on the Sunday before Dawn. Still just a day and a half, though. Yes, I can see why some need to alter the crucifixion day to make it 3 days and three nights, but in disregarding the text, I think more is lost than gained.
Did the text actually say it was Friday?...And you should understand what dawning meant...It meant about to begin...Didn't have anything really to do with sun-up...So the first day was about to begin which meant that Sabbath was ending...How difficult is this to understand?...

Old 03-26-2016, 02:20 PM

[quote=Aristotle's Child;43493963]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Crucifixion was actually on a Thursday.......due to several confusing factors tradition has it Friday.

QUESTION:Are you saying that the Sabbath was actually on Friday that week?
Sabbath begins Friday sundown to Saturday sundown...

Old 03-26-2016, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
People seldom agree on every detail, even if they are eye witnesses.
Stock excuse to ignore any problem discrepancy or contradiction. But here, there is none. it is common agreement of Friday night arrest and trial and crucifixion on Friday ending at Saturday evening, with a resurrection by Dawn on Sunday that is inconvenient for those who would prefer tthe events to look more like the prophetic three days and nights. So the gospels have to be rewritten to make the crucifixion on Wednesday or Thursday and the concensus of the four gospels is disregarded.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:21 PM

2,202 posts, read 1,323,575 times
I wasn't going to go here as there simply aren't enough people in religion that could get this or care.. Jesus gathered his boys on Tuesday possible within the start of Passover at sunset. He was crucified on Passover Wed. Now Wed .sundown to Sat. Sundown equals three days via Hebrew theology and history. Consequently it appears Jesus rose from the dead on the cusp of the end of His Sabbath!!! Saturday evening BUT discovered risen on Sunday ( which the church erroneously abids by) We as a church never got it right. As Constantine destroyed our hebrew roots, tossed our the Hebrew calendar and put the church on a tailspin of errors so numerous it nolonger pays to go there as neither the pastors or flock can wrap their brains around chronology 101. We are a bunch of theology saps me included , but escaping the bondage of religion gone weird. The only contradiction to my point is Ananias and Nicodemus were concerned about preparing Christ's body for the tomb ( aloe and many pounds of myr etc cloth wrap) on Sabbath ,but possible those concerns were the ramifications of rabbinical law and punishment ? Some say there were two Sabbath's in that week perhaps someone explain and instuct me? Also in the case of a death preparation defined as "work" under the law???

Last edited by openmike; 03-28-2016 at 11:34 PM..

Old 03-29-2016, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Did the text actually say it was Friday?...And you should understand what dawning meant...It meant about to begin...Didn't have anything really to do with sun-up...So the first day was about to begin which meant that Sabbath was ending...How difficult is this to understand?...
Mark 16.2. The sun was about to rise. In any case it makes sense that the women would go to the tomb when it was light enough to see what they were doing. If you want to say that they did it in the small hours or even as soon as it was evening after the Sabbath, you can. That only means that Jesus was more like only one day in the tomb.

Apart from what Mark says (and that may be hos own addition) the subsequent activity with the women galloping to tell the disciples and Cleophas setting off for Emmaeus rather looks like this was all on the Sunday morning.

No, the gospels do not say Friday, Saturday or Sunday. They say

day of preparation
sabbath
First day of the week.

First day being Sunday, that makes the Sabbath Saturday (as one would expect) and thus the day of preparation, Friday,when the crucifixion was done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or