U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-22-2016, 07:18 AM
 
1 posts, read 380 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

The Bible contains the truth of God. It is God’s letter of instruction, direction, and love to anyone who will accept it. In it we can discern God’s plan for the redemption of a condemned race (John 3:18). In the Bible we can draw facts that the tradition of men have distorted. One principle fact that has been followed for centuries is the crucifixion being on a Friday. However the Bible spells out the truth of a Wednesday crucifixion. Here is a list of 7 facts of Jesus dying on a Wednesday:



1. The Witness of Jesus and His own testimony.

He was very clear. IT would have to be after 3 -24hr days.
Mat 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Three days and three nights requires 3 full days. Jesus said He would be in the heart of the earth for this length of time. A total of 72 hours minimum is required. He would be killed, and then after 3 days rise again!

Mar 8:31 And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.

This passage makes it clear that Jesus began to teach the disciples that the Son of man must suffer many things from the religious leaders of His day, and be rejected of them. and rejected of the chief priests, and rejected of the scribes, and He would then be killed, and “after three days rise again”.

Working backward in time from the empty tomb discovered by Mary Magdalene who was at the grave during darkness Sunday Morning will prove point 1 of a Wednesday crucifixion. First day of the week (Resurrection Sunday) begins at 6:00pm Saturday night. To be in the “heart of the earth” Jesus needs to be in the grave at least that long, 72 hours, and perhaps longer. Any time after 3 days and 3 nights, a full 72 hours, Jesus can appear as the risen Lord. The sign would be the empty grave. The exact hour of the resurrection is not known, however the empty grave was discovered while it was still dark Sunday morning perhaps 4:30 to 5:30am before any light of the sunrise appeared.
John 20:1 says that the first day of the week Mary Magdalene came early, while it was yet dark. This means before 6:00am or before any indication of sunrise Mary Magdalene was at the tomb. She came unto the sepulcher, and witnessed the stone had been rolled away from the grave and that the tomb was empty.

His resurrection would have to take place after 6:00pm Saturday and prior to Mary Magdalene coming to the tomb at around 4:30am Sunday morning while it was dark. He could have risen at any time Sunday morning. This includes Saturday night after 6:00pm which is considered Sunday by the Jews.

Working back from a Sunday Morning resurrection:
12 hours Saturday 6:00am to 6:00pm 3rd day
12 hours Friday6:00pm to Sat 6:00am 3rd night
12 hours Friday 6:00am to 6:00pm 2nd day
12 hours Thursday 6:00pm to Fri 6:00am 2nd night
12 hours Thursday 6:00am to 6:00pm 1st day
12 hours Wednesday 6:00pm to Thur 6:00am 1st night
This is a total of 72 hours or 3 days.
He would have to be buried before 6:00 pm on Wednesday to be 3 days and 3 nights in “the heart of the earth”

2. The Witness of the Gospels.

It has been falsely spoken that Jesus would be resurrected “on the 3rd day”. However this is incorrect. Nowhere in scripture does it say “on the third day” speaking about Jesus. It just says “the third day”.

Greek Definitions follow:
“Third” is the Greek word “tritos” pronounced tree'-tos From G5140; third; neuter (as noun) a third part, or (as adverb) a (or the) third time, thirdly: - third (-ly).
Meaning a third of something or needing three parts.
“Day’ is the Greek word “ishēmera” pronounced hay-mer'-ah Feminine (with G5610 implied) of a derivative of ἧμαι hēmai (to sit; akin to the base of G1476) meaning tame, that is, gentle; day, that is, (literally) the time space between dawn and dark, or the whole 24 hours (but several days were usually reckoned by the Jews as inclusive of the parts of both extremes); figuratively a period (always defined more or less clearly by the context): - age, + alway, (mid-) day (by day, [-ly]), + for ever, judgment, (day) time, while, years.
Meaning the whole 24 hrs becomes a day. Together they say 3 parts of the whole 24hrs.

Matthew 16:21 Says Jesus began to shew his disciples, how that he must go into Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again “the third day”. Notice that He does not say “on” the third day but says three parts of 24hour days.
Matthew17:23 Says that they shall kill him, and “the third day” he shall be raised again. Notice again that the word “on” does not appear in this passage. However what the apostles heard made them exceedingly sorry.
Matthew 20:19 says that He shall be delivered to the Gentiles to be mock, and to be scourged, and to be crucified: and “the third day” he shall rise again. Notice no “on” before the third day.
Matthew 27:64 It says that the religious leaders asked Pilate to Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until “the third day”, (no “on” used) lest his disciples come by night, as the leaders were worried about a plot, and steal him away, and say unto the people lies that He is risen from the dead: worrying that the last error shall be worse than the first.
Mark 9:31 Now he taught his disciples, and said unto them, “The Son of man is delivered into the hands of men, and they shall kill him; and after that he is killed, he shall rise the third day.” Notice again no “on” used before the third day.
Mark10:34 And they shall mock him as Matthew said, and shall scourge him also as Matthew said, and shall spit upon him added by Mark, and shall kill him by crucifixion: and the third day he shall rise again. Again no “on” appears before the third day.
Luke 9:22 Also saying, “The Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be slain, and be raised the third day.” Notice no “on” being used.
Luke 13:32 And He that is Jesus said unto them, “Go ye, and tell that fox, Behold, I cast out devils, and I do cures today and tomorrow”, and He added the third day I shall be perfected. No “on” again and Jesus was perfected being seen in a body of flesh and bone not of flesh and blood as it says in Luke 24:39.
Luke 18:33 writes that they shall scourge him, and put him to death by way of the cross: and the third day he shall rise again. No word (on) included before the third day.
Luke 24:7 Jesus declaring that the Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again. No word on is included in this passage.
Luke 24:21 uses the term, the third day, and the resurrection should have taken place since the crucifixion occurred. Cleopas was talking with Jesus himself saying that it had been He, Jesus, which should redeem Israel: and beside all this, today is the third day since these things were done.” Or three full parts of 24hour days.
Luke24:46 Quotes Jesus himself saying to them that is, “Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day” That is three 24 hour days.
In the book of Esther there is another indication of what “on the third day” means. In Esther 4:16 it is said to Go and gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan. This is to be done for the reason of fasting for Esther. All the Jews were neither to eat nor drink three days, night or day: Notice it is for both night and day these three days. This would be 3-24hr periods or 72 hours total. Esther would also fast along will her maidens doing likewise; before she goes into the king. This should not have been done. It is not according to the law that is the Law of the Medes and the Persians by King Ahasuerus: and if I perish, I perish. Ester 4:17 Says Mordecai went his way, and did according to all that Esther had commanded him. Mordecai and all the Jews fasted and prayed for 3-24 hour periods. In Chapter 5 of Esther we are told that Esther dressed up and “on the third day” she went in to the king. If “on the third day” means any part of three days as people have been taught by church leaders for centuries, then all the Jews could not have fasted for 3-24hour days as was originally stated in chapter 4. Here in Chapter 5 of Esther I contend that on the third day means after fasting for 3 full 24 hour days and not 3 parts of any days is inferred.


3. The Witness of the Women with the spices.

Jesus dies on a Wednesday. (Passover)
Nicodemus brings his spices to anoint the body of Jesus as declared by John in his Gospel. John 19:39 Describes how Nicodemus arrived on the scene, who back in chapter 3 of the Gospel of John first came to Jesus by night to question Jesus about how to get to Heaven. This Nicodemus brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about a hundred pound weight. This is a lot of myrrh and aloes. Jesus’ body before it was laid in the tomb had a lot of burial spices applied at this time.
John 19:40 Then says they took the body of Jesus, and wound it in linen clothes with the spices, as the manner of the Jews is to bury. This passage refutes the burial cloth known as the “Shroud of Turin”. That shroud would not have been a wrap. It would have covered Jesus from head to toe, draped, not wrapped as the scriptures say. “wound” appearing here is the Greek word “deh’o” meaning to bind or to knit or to tie or to wind. To dispel another false teaching of the Roman church, the “Shroud of Turin” shows no such winding and is a fake.
The body is laid in the tomb. Just before 6:00pm Wednesday. John 19:31 explains that the Jews would ask, because it was the preparation, that the Romans would break the legs of those on the cross. The preparation is always the day before a Sabbath which in this case is a High Sabbath or the first day of unleavened bread. This of course means that the preparation day happens to be also the Passover day. Also it is noted that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the Sabbath day, (for that Sabbath day was an high day,). At the end of the process of crucifixion it was customary that their legs might be broken. However when they came to Jesus, His legs were not broken, but a sword pierced His side instead. It was asked of Pilate, by Joseph of Arimathea, that he might have the body of Jesus and take it away.

From Wed 6:00pm to Thursday 6:00pm it is a High Sabbath for the first day of unleavened bread. This Sabbath had to end so the women could prepare other spices to anoint the body.

After 6: 00pmThursday night began Friday a day when work could be done. On this Friday the women could buy and prepare the spices to anoint the body of Jesus.

Mark 16: 1 Says that the woman, when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, and they were hoping that they might come and anoint him.
The women wait for the High Sabbath (Thursday, the first day of unleavened bread) to end so they can buy the spices. “had bought” here means “to hold” or agorazō means to go to market, to purchase; then they went home to prepare the spices, and then rest again for the Saturday Sabbath. Simply if this was the Saturday Sabbath it would be 6:00 pm Saturday and they still had to prepare the spices as Luke tells us:

Luke_23:56 Reveals the fact that the Sabbath would take place after the spices were prepared. Then they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and then it says they rested the Sabbath day according to the commandment.
Why would the women have to rest again? This is after the spices they had bought were prepared!
After 6:00pm Saturday the Sabbath ends and they can go at first light or day break or very early Sunday in the morning to anoint the body.
Luk_24:1 Opens a new look at the first day of the week, very early in the morning, John says when it was yet dark, they came unto the sepulcher, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.

The order is:
1. Jesus dies and is anointed by Nicodemus’ spices and is buried on Wednesday just before 6:00pm before the High Sabbath begins
2. Thursday-The High Sabbath begins and it is a day of no servile work (the first day of unleavened bread)
3. Friday- This is the day to buy and prepare spices. It is the only day work can be performed.
4. Saturday- This is the regular weekly Sabbath rest and no work can be performed.
5. Early Sunday- Jesus rises some time before daybreak and the empty tomb is discovered in the dark of the morning.

4. The Witness of the Pharisees.

Matthew 27:63 says, the Pharisees are addressing Pilate and they say, “we remember that that deceiver, that is Jesus, said, while he (Jesus) was yet alive, After three days I will rise again”. Notice that the Pharisees knew the meaning of “The Third Day” meant “after” 3 full days. The Pharisee’s knew that Jesus would rise after 3 days. So they plotted how to stop Jesus from this.
In Matthew 27:62 it is revealed that “the next day, that followed the day of the preparation”, the chief priests and Pharisees came to Pilate. I contend that “the next day” which is after “that followed the day of preparation means the next day that comes after the day that followed the day of preparation. The words here are rather awkward. However it is definitely a different way of describing this time frame. If
The day of Preparation is the Passover which I believe was a Wednesday; the phrase should read “the next day after the day of the preparation”. This would point to Thursday which is the first day of unleavened bread. Of course the religious Pharisees would not be able to work on this day. But because the translators stated the time frame as they did:

Mat 27:62 Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate,

I can surmise three days from this statement. If “the next day” is Friday, The term “that followed” can refer to the day that followed “the day of the preparation”. The day which follows the day of the preparation is Thursday. Now that would make “the day of preparation” fall on a Wednesday.

The Passover is “the day of preparation” which is the day to prepare for the upcoming High Sabbath (the first day of unleavened bread) on Thursday (which began Wednesday night at 6:00pm). The Pharisees could do no work Thursday but were able to come together to Pilate the following day, Friday. Pilate said:
Mat 27:65 Pilate said unto them, Ye have a watch: go your way, make it as sure as ye can.

In order to make the sepulchre sure, They needed to work at this. The Pharisee’s would have never had a part of this on a Sabbath day. They could not work at making the stone secure on Thursday (High Sabbath) or Saturday (regular Sabbath) To “seal the stone” would take a lot of work. Perhaps they dug it into the dirt to recess it so it would be harder to remove. Or perhaps they mixed some type of mortar to seal up any gaps in the openings. Any way you look at this it would be a lot of work; work that would take all day! Friday which was not a Sabbath would be the only day this work could be performed. And then they could set a watch.
Mat 27:66 So they went, and made the sepulchre sure, sealing the stone, and setting a watch.

The watch of course was just some paid soldiers, because the religious leaders would do no work on the following day, the Saturday Sabbath (This would be the regular Saturday’s Sabbath) Just before Resurrection Sunday.

5. The Witness of the so called early church Fathers.

To be perfectly clear the early Church Fathers should be the 8 men who God used to write the New Testament. All other men designated by church tradition as “early church fathers” are mere men and not any smarter or better or more intelligent than the rest. However not turning to them for any doctrine or teaching of the scriptures ( The scriptures themselves are the standard of our truth) information can still be ascertained from their writings.

The following was written around the late second/early third century though not inspired scripture there is still much we can glean from this:

“For when we had eaten the passover on the third day of the week at even (This would be Tuesday night), we went forth to the Mount of Olives; and in the night they seized our Lord Jesus. And the next day, which was the fourth of the week (This would be Wednesday morning), He remained in ward in the house of Caiaphas the high priest. And on the same day the chiefs of the people were assembled and took counsel against Him”


In the third century, the bishop and Saint Victorinus of Pettau or of Poetovio (died 303 or 304) who was Martyred by Diocletian wrote:
“Now is manifested the reason of the truth why the fourth day (This would be what today is called Wendesday) is called the Tetras, why we fast even to the ninth hour, or even to the evening, or why there should be a passing over even to the next day…
The man Christ Jesus, the originator of these things whereof we have above spoken, was taken prisoner by wicked hands, by a quaternion of soldiers. Therefore on account of His captivity by a quaternion, on account of the majesty of His works,–that the seasons also, wholesome to humanity, joyful for the harvests, tranquil for the tempests, may roll on,–therefore we make the fourth day a station or a supernumerary fast”.

The fourth day in the above account would be modern day Wednesday.
The Hebrew language did not have names for the days of the week. Sunday was the first day; Monday was the second day; Tuesday the third day and so on till Saturday the 7th day which was the only day with a name The Sabbath.

6. The Witness of the rising of Lazarus.

In the Gospel of John Chapter 11 and verses 38 and 39 we read that Jesus again groaned when He came to the grave which was a cave with a stone on its opening. Jesus said to take away the stone and Martha, the sister of Lazarus, said to the Lord, “by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days”.
Jesus allowed Lazarus to be dead for four days to prove that he was truly dead and that Jesus has the power to truly rise from the dead. After about three days of rigor mortis the body becomes limp again and moves quickly to decomposition. This is an unmistakable sign of death. Jesus lay in His grave for three full days minimum, while he was in the heart of the earth. But the scriptures say in Psalms 16:10 that God will not allow His “Holy One”, that is the Lord Jesus Christ, to see corruption:
Psalm 16:10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

The unmistakable sign of death would have already begun in rigor mortis. Just after rigor mortis begins, which is the stiffening of the muscles in a dead corpse, decomposition begins. However the Holy One did not see any of this corruption set in. Perhaps one reason that the women were going to the grave with the spices was to control the smell of decomposition. With three full days and three full nights in the heart of the earth, Jesus should have started to decompose but there is no testimony to that. There is no sign that decomposition ever set in. To be dead for more than that period of three full days should have resulted in the body starting to stink! But Jesus body never began the process and if He did Psalm 16:10 would be a lie and the Bible would not be infallible.
It is not known for sure the total amount of time Jesus lay in the grave. But to follow His words He would need to be 72 hours minimum in the tomb which would allow Him to go to the heart of the earth. This is where “Paradise” was located and also where “Hell” is located according to Luke Chapter 16. He dies at 3:00pm Wednesday on the cross. He is taken down and before 6:00pm He is laid in the tomb. From Wednesday night at 6:00pm to Saturday night at 6:00pm is a total of 72 hrs. If He rose from the dead at 1:00am Sunday he would have been dead for 82hours and actually in the tomb for 79 hours which would fulfill the requirement of 72 hours. This is surmised for it is not known when he rose from the dead. It is only known that His tomb was found empty as early as while it was still dark on the first day of the week: Matthew 28:1 Says that in the end of the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the tomb. John20:1 even says that it was still dark on that first day of the week. John says that Mary Magdalene came early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulcher, and sees the stone taken away from the tomb.

7. The Witness of the Calendar as being honed by the computer.

That most computer programs have now established the year of crucifixion at 30 or 31AD and Passover. Nisan 14, starting at 6:00pm Tuesday (or the third day as per Jewish calendar) And Nisan 15 (First day of unleavened bread a High Sabbath) beginning at 6:00pm Wednesday has become the favored scenario based on Pilate’s reign and Herod’s reign and Caiaphas as High priest and other worldly events to construct the time of Christ’s Crucifixion. Also that Passover can only occur on 5 days of the week has been established because Rosh Hashanah cannot occur on consecutive days with the Sabbath. Therefore Passover or “Pesach” can only occur on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, or Sunday which begins at 6:00pm the night before! If Passover occurs on a Saturday, the festivities are moved back one night to Thursday at 6:00pm. Check out any year since the Julian calendar went into effect in 45BC that is before the Birth of Christ, and then the Gregorian calendar which took effect in 1582AD. “Pesach” or Passover has never been on a Tuesday or Thursday.
I considered this calendar proof to be a secular proof because it is not a part of scripture. But, now it has become more accurate and trustworthy with history and the information of the world coming together in the computer age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-22-2016, 10:35 PM
 
Location: US
26,248 posts, read 13,915,192 times
Reputation: 1591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancientofdays View Post
The Bible contains the truth of God. It is God’s letter of instruction, direction, and love to anyone who will accept it. In it we can discern God’s plan for the redemption of a condemned race (John 3:18). In the Bible we can draw facts that the tradition of men have distorted. One principle fact that has been followed for centuries is the crucifixion being on a Friday. However the Bible spells out the truth of a Wednesday crucifixion. Here is a list of 7 facts of Jesus dying on a Wednesday:



1. The Witness of Jesus and His own testimony.

He was very clear. IT would have to be after 3 -24hr days.
Mat 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Three days and three nights requires 3 full days. Jesus said He would be in the heart of the earth for this length of time. A total of 72 hours minimum is required. He would be killed, and then after 3 days rise again!

Mar 8:31 And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.

This passage makes it clear that Jesus began to teach the disciples that the Son of man must suffer many things from the religious leaders of His day, and be rejected of them. and rejected of the chief priests, and rejected of the scribes, and He would then be killed, and “after three days rise again”.

Working backward in time from the empty tomb discovered by Mary Magdalene who was at the grave during darkness Sunday Morning will prove point 1 of a Wednesday crucifixion. First day of the week (Resurrection Sunday) begins at 6:00pm Saturday night. To be in the “heart of the earth” Jesus needs to be in the grave at least that long, 72 hours, and perhaps longer. Any time after 3 days and 3 nights, a full 72 hours, Jesus can appear as the risen Lord. The sign would be the empty grave. The exact hour of the resurrection is not known, however the empty grave was discovered while it was still dark Sunday morning perhaps 4:30 to 5:30am before any light of the sunrise appeared.
John 20:1 says that the first day of the week Mary Magdalene came early, while it was yet dark. This means before 6:00am or before any indication of sunrise Mary Magdalene was at the tomb. She came unto the sepulcher, and witnessed the stone had been rolled away from the grave and that the tomb was empty.

His resurrection would have to take place after 6:00pm Saturday and prior to Mary Magdalene coming to the tomb at around 4:30am Sunday morning while it was dark. He could have risen at any time Sunday morning. This includes Saturday night after 6:00pm which is considered Sunday by the Jews.

Working back from a Sunday Morning resurrection:
12 hours Saturday 6:00am to 6:00pm 3rd day
12 hours Friday6:00pm to Sat 6:00am 3rd night
12 hours Friday 6:00am to 6:00pm 2nd day
12 hours Thursday 6:00pm to Fri 6:00am 2nd night
12 hours Thursday 6:00am to 6:00pm 1st day
12 hours Wednesday 6:00pm to Thur 6:00am 1st night
This is a total of 72 hours or 3 days.
He would have to be buried before 6:00 pm on Wednesday to be 3 days and 3 nights in “the heart of the earth”

2. The Witness of the Gospels.

It has been falsely spoken that Jesus would be resurrected “on the 3rd day”. However this is incorrect. Nowhere in scripture does it say “on the third day” speaking about Jesus. It just says “the third day”.

Greek Definitions follow:
“Third” is the Greek word “tritos” pronounced tree'-tos From G5140; third; neuter (as noun) a third part, or (as adverb) a (or the) third time, thirdly: - third (-ly).
Meaning a third of something or needing three parts.
“Day’ is the Greek word “ishēmera” pronounced hay-mer'-ah Feminine (with G5610 implied) of a derivative of ἧμαι hēmai (to sit; akin to the base of G1476) meaning tame, that is, gentle; day, that is, (literally) the time space between dawn and dark, or the whole 24 hours (but several days were usually reckoned by the Jews as inclusive of the parts of both extremes); figuratively a period (always defined more or less clearly by the context): - age, + alway, (mid-) day (by day, [-ly]), + for ever, judgment, (day) time, while, years.
Meaning the whole 24 hrs becomes a day. Together they say 3 parts of the whole 24hrs.

Matthew 16:21 Says Jesus began to shew his disciples, how that he must go into Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again “the third day”. Notice that He does not say “on” the third day but says three parts of 24hour days.
Matthew17:23 Says that they shall kill him, and “the third day” he shall be raised again. Notice again that the word “on” does not appear in this passage. However what the apostles heard made them exceedingly sorry.
Matthew 20:19 says that He shall be delivered to the Gentiles to be mock, and to be scourged, and to be crucified: and “the third day” he shall rise again. Notice no “on” before the third day.
Matthew 27:64 It says that the religious leaders asked Pilate to Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until “the third day”, (no “on” used) lest his disciples come by night, as the leaders were worried about a plot, and steal him away, and say unto the people lies that He is risen from the dead: worrying that the last error shall be worse than the first.
Mark 9:31 Now he taught his disciples, and said unto them, “The Son of man is delivered into the hands of men, and they shall kill him; and after that he is killed, he shall rise the third day.” Notice again no “on” used before the third day.
Mark10:34 And they shall mock him as Matthew said, and shall scourge him also as Matthew said, and shall spit upon him added by Mark, and shall kill him by crucifixion: and the third day he shall rise again. Again no “on” appears before the third day.
Luke 9:22 Also saying, “The Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be slain, and be raised the third day.” Notice no “on” being used.
Luke 13:32 And He that is Jesus said unto them, “Go ye, and tell that fox, Behold, I cast out devils, and I do cures today and tomorrow”, and He added the third day I shall be perfected. No “on” again and Jesus was perfected being seen in a body of flesh and bone not of flesh and blood as it says in Luke 24:39.
Luke 18:33 writes that they shall scourge him, and put him to death by way of the cross: and the third day he shall rise again. No word (on) included before the third day.
Luke 24:7 Jesus declaring that the Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again. No word on is included in this passage.
Luke 24:21 uses the term, the third day, and the resurrection should have taken place since the crucifixion occurred. Cleopas was talking with Jesus himself saying that it had been He, Jesus, which should redeem Israel: and beside all this, today is the third day since these things were done.” Or three full parts of 24hour days.
Luke24:46 Quotes Jesus himself saying to them that is, “Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day” That is three 24 hour days.
In the book of Esther there is another indication of what “on the third day” means. In Esther 4:16 it is said to Go and gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan. This is to be done for the reason of fasting for Esther. All the Jews were neither to eat nor drink three days, night or day: Notice it is for both night and day these three days. This would be 3-24hr periods or 72 hours total. Esther would also fast along will her maidens doing likewise; before she goes into the king. This should not have been done. It is not according to the law that is the Law of the Medes and the Persians by King Ahasuerus: and if I perish, I perish. Ester 4:17 Says Mordecai went his way, and did according to all that Esther had commanded him. Mordecai and all the Jews fasted and prayed for 3-24 hour periods. In Chapter 5 of Esther we are told that Esther dressed up and “on the third day” she went in to the king. If “on the third day” means any part of three days as people have been taught by church leaders for centuries, then all the Jews could not have fasted for 3-24hour days as was originally stated in chapter 4. Here in Chapter 5 of Esther I contend that on the third day means after fasting for 3 full 24 hour days and not 3 parts of any days is inferred.


3. The Witness of the Women with the spices.

Jesus dies on a Wednesday. (Passover)
Nicodemus brings his spices to anoint the body of Jesus as declared by John in his Gospel. John 19:39 Describes how Nicodemus arrived on the scene, who back in chapter 3 of the Gospel of John first came to Jesus by night to question Jesus about how to get to Heaven. This Nicodemus brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about a hundred pound weight. This is a lot of myrrh and aloes. Jesus’ body before it was laid in the tomb had a lot of burial spices applied at this time.
John 19:40 Then says they took the body of Jesus, and wound it in linen clothes with the spices, as the manner of the Jews is to bury. This passage refutes the burial cloth known as the “Shroud of Turin”. That shroud would not have been a wrap. It would have covered Jesus from head to toe, draped, not wrapped as the scriptures say. “wound” appearing here is the Greek word “deh’o” meaning to bind or to knit or to tie or to wind. To dispel another false teaching of the Roman church, the “Shroud of Turin” shows no such winding and is a fake.
The body is laid in the tomb. Just before 6:00pm Wednesday. John 19:31 explains that the Jews would ask, because it was the preparation, that the Romans would break the legs of those on the cross. The preparation is always the day before a Sabbath which in this case is a High Sabbath or the first day of unleavened bread. This of course means that the preparation day happens to be also the Passover day. Also it is noted that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the Sabbath day, (for that Sabbath day was an high day,). At the end of the process of crucifixion it was customary that their legs might be broken. However when they came to Jesus, His legs were not broken, but a sword pierced His side instead. It was asked of Pilate, by Joseph of Arimathea, that he might have the body of Jesus and take it away.

From Wed 6:00pm to Thursday 6:00pm it is a High Sabbath for the first day of unleavened bread. This Sabbath had to end so the women could prepare other spices to anoint the body.

After 6: 00pmThursday night began Friday a day when work could be done. On this Friday the women could buy and prepare the spices to anoint the body of Jesus.

Mark 16: 1 Says that the woman, when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, and they were hoping that they might come and anoint him.
The women wait for the High Sabbath (Thursday, the first day of unleavened bread) to end so they can buy the spices. “had bought” here means “to hold” or agorazō means to go to market, to purchase; then they went home to prepare the spices, and then rest again for the Saturday Sabbath. Simply if this was the Saturday Sabbath it would be 6:00 pm Saturday and they still had to prepare the spices as Luke tells us:

Luke_23:56 Reveals the fact that the Sabbath would take place after the spices were prepared. Then they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and then it says they rested the Sabbath day according to the commandment.
Why would the women have to rest again? This is after the spices they had bought were prepared!
After 6:00pm Saturday the Sabbath ends and they can go at first light or day break or very early Sunday in the morning to anoint the body.
Luk_24:1 Opens a new look at the first day of the week, very early in the morning, John says when it was yet dark, they came unto the sepulcher, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.

The order is:
1. Jesus dies and is anointed by Nicodemus’ spices and is buried on Wednesday just before 6:00pm before the High Sabbath begins
2. Thursday-The High Sabbath begins and it is a day of no servile work (the first day of unleavened bread)
3. Friday- This is the day to buy and prepare spices. It is the only day work can be performed.
4. Saturday- This is the regular weekly Sabbath rest and no work can be performed.
5. Early Sunday- Jesus rises some time before daybreak and the empty tomb is discovered in the dark of the morning.

4. The Witness of the Pharisees.

Matthew 27:63 says, the Pharisees are addressing Pilate and they say, “we remember that that deceiver, that is Jesus, said, while he (Jesus) was yet alive, After three days I will rise again”. Notice that the Pharisees knew the meaning of “The Third Day” meant “after” 3 full days. The Pharisee’s knew that Jesus would rise after 3 days. So they plotted how to stop Jesus from this.
In Matthew 27:62 it is revealed that “the next day, that followed the day of the preparation”, the chief priests and Pharisees came to Pilate. I contend that “the next day” which is after “that followed the day of preparation means the next day that comes after the day that followed the day of preparation. The words here are rather awkward. However it is definitely a different way of describing this time frame. If
The day of Preparation is the Passover which I believe was a Wednesday; the phrase should read “the next day after the day of the preparation”. This would point to Thursday which is the first day of unleavened bread. Of course the religious Pharisees would not be able to work on this day. But because the translators stated the time frame as they did:

Mat 27:62 Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate,

I can surmise three days from this statement. If “the next day” is Friday, The term “that followed” can refer to the day that followed “the day of the preparation”. The day which follows the day of the preparation is Thursday. Now that would make “the day of preparation” fall on a Wednesday.

The Passover is “the day of preparation” which is the day to prepare for the upcoming High Sabbath (the first day of unleavened bread) on Thursday (which began Wednesday night at 6:00pm). The Pharisees could do no work Thursday but were able to come together to Pilate the following day, Friday. Pilate said:
Mat 27:65 Pilate said unto them, Ye have a watch: go your way, make it as sure as ye can.

In order to make the sepulchre sure, They needed to work at this. The Pharisee’s would have never had a part of this on a Sabbath day. They could not work at making the stone secure on Thursday (High Sabbath) or Saturday (regular Sabbath) To “seal the stone” would take a lot of work. Perhaps they dug it into the dirt to recess it so it would be harder to remove. Or perhaps they mixed some type of mortar to seal up any gaps in the openings. Any way you look at this it would be a lot of work; work that would take all day! Friday which was not a Sabbath would be the only day this work could be performed. And then they could set a watch.
Mat 27:66 So they went, and made the sepulchre sure, sealing the stone, and setting a watch.

The watch of course was just some paid soldiers, because the religious leaders would do no work on the following day, the Saturday Sabbath (This would be the regular Saturday’s Sabbath) Just before Resurrection Sunday.

5. The Witness of the so called early church Fathers.

To be perfectly clear the early Church Fathers should be the 8 men who God used to write the New Testament. All other men designated by church tradition as “early church fathers” are mere men and not any smarter or better or more intelligent than the rest. However not turning to them for any doctrine or teaching of the scriptures ( The scriptures themselves are the standard of our truth) information can still be ascertained from their writings.

The following was written around the late second/early third century though not inspired scripture there is still much we can glean from this:

“For when we had eaten the passover on the third day of the week at even (This would be Tuesday night), we went forth to the Mount of Olives; and in the night they seized our Lord Jesus. And the next day, which was the fourth of the week (This would be Wednesday morning), He remained in ward in the house of Caiaphas the high priest. And on the same day the chiefs of the people were assembled and took counsel against Him”


In the third century, the bishop and Saint Victorinus of Pettau or of Poetovio (died 303 or 304) who was Martyred by Diocletian wrote:
“Now is manifested the reason of the truth why the fourth day (This would be what today is called Wendesday) is called the Tetras, why we fast even to the ninth hour, or even to the evening, or why there should be a passing over even to the next day…
The man Christ Jesus, the originator of these things whereof we have above spoken, was taken prisoner by wicked hands, by a quaternion of soldiers. Therefore on account of His captivity by a quaternion, on account of the majesty of His works,–that the seasons also, wholesome to humanity, joyful for the harvests, tranquil for the tempests, may roll on,–therefore we make the fourth day a station or a supernumerary fast”.

The fourth day in the above account would be modern day Wednesday.
The Hebrew language did not have names for the days of the week. Sunday was the first day; Monday was the second day; Tuesday the third day and so on till Saturday the 7th day which was the only day with a name The Sabbath.

6. The Witness of the rising of Lazarus.

In the Gospel of John Chapter 11 and verses 38 and 39 we read that Jesus again groaned when He came to the grave which was a cave with a stone on its opening. Jesus said to take away the stone and Martha, the sister of Lazarus, said to the Lord, “by this time he stinketh: for he hath been dead four days”.
Jesus allowed Lazarus to be dead for four days to prove that he was truly dead and that Jesus has the power to truly rise from the dead. After about three days of rigor mortis the body becomes limp again and moves quickly to decomposition. This is an unmistakable sign of death. Jesus lay in His grave for three full days minimum, while he was in the heart of the earth. But the scriptures say in Psalms 16:10 that God will not allow His “Holy One”, that is the Lord Jesus Christ, to see corruption:
Psalm 16:10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

The unmistakable sign of death would have already begun in rigor mortis. Just after rigor mortis begins, which is the stiffening of the muscles in a dead corpse, decomposition begins. However the Holy One did not see any of this corruption set in. Perhaps one reason that the women were going to the grave with the spices was to control the smell of decomposition. With three full days and three full nights in the heart of the earth, Jesus should have started to decompose but there is no testimony to that. There is no sign that decomposition ever set in. To be dead for more than that period of three full days should have resulted in the body starting to stink! But Jesus body never began the process and if He did Psalm 16:10 would be a lie and the Bible would not be infallible.
It is not known for sure the total amount of time Jesus lay in the grave. But to follow His words He would need to be 72 hours minimum in the tomb which would allow Him to go to the heart of the earth. This is where “Paradise” was located and also where “Hell” is located according to Luke Chapter 16. He dies at 3:00pm Wednesday on the cross. He is taken down and before 6:00pm He is laid in the tomb. From Wednesday night at 6:00pm to Saturday night at 6:00pm is a total of 72 hrs. If He rose from the dead at 1:00am Sunday he would have been dead for 82hours and actually in the tomb for 79 hours which would fulfill the requirement of 72 hours. This is surmised for it is not known when he rose from the dead. It is only known that His tomb was found empty as early as while it was still dark on the first day of the week: Matthew 28:1 Says that in the end of the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the tomb. John20:1 even says that it was still dark on that first day of the week. John says that Mary Magdalene came early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulcher, and sees the stone taken away from the tomb.

7. The Witness of the Calendar as being honed by the computer.

That most computer programs have now established the year of crucifixion at 30 or 31AD and Passover. Nisan 14, starting at 6:00pm Tuesday (or the third day as per Jewish calendar) And Nisan 15 (First day of unleavened bread a High Sabbath) beginning at 6:00pm Wednesday has become the favored scenario based on Pilate’s reign and Herod’s reign and Caiaphas as High priest and other worldly events to construct the time of Christ’s Crucifixion. Also that Passover can only occur on 5 days of the week has been established because Rosh Hashanah cannot occur on consecutive days with the Sabbath. Therefore Passover or “Pesach” can only occur on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, or Sunday which begins at 6:00pm the night before! If Passover occurs on a Saturday, the festivities are moved back one night to Thursday at 6:00pm. Check out any year since the Julian calendar went into effect in 45BC that is before the Birth of Christ, and then the Gregorian calendar which took effect in 1582AD. “Pesach” or Passover has never been on a Tuesday or Thursday.
I considered this calendar proof to be a secular proof because it is not a part of scripture. But, now it has become more accurate and trustworthy with history and the information of the world coming together in the computer age.

Yea...He rose on the Sabbath...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2016, 11:15 PM
 
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
5,508 posts, read 2,590,605 times
Reputation: 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancientofdays View Post
1. The Witness of Jesus and His own testimony.

He was very clear. IT would have to be after 3 -24hr days.
Mat 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
Right there we have a problem. He never was in the heart of the earth! He was in a rock hewn tomb on the surface of the earth, probably for 24 hours, maybe thirty six. That's assuming he was actually placed in the tomb at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2016, 07:02 AM
 
34,462 posts, read 8,876,928 times
Reputation: 4785
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Right there we have a problem. He never was in the heart of the earth! He was in a rock hewn tomb on the surface of the earth, probably for 24 hours, maybe thirty six. That's assuming he was actually placed in the tomb at all.
So many layers of Question. It is (or so it seems to me) hingeing on one Q: whether to accept that Matthew was writing God - inspired Truth, or as a human, prone to error, saying what he thought, and getting it wrong, because Jesus was not three days and three nights in the 'bowels of the earth' (even symbolically) according to the gospel accounts, or to Luke's reference to 'three days since' and indeed the other prophecies apart from this one.

And remember, Matthew has already made a mistake with the 2 donkeys, contradicted by the other gospels. We cannot insist that this prophecy has to be true. It is Bible -literalism gone mad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2016, 12:00 PM
 
910 posts, read 1,043,029 times
Reputation: 117
Christ died on Thursday by 3pm, buried before 6pm.That satisfies one day. Day is 12hrs, night is 24hrs.

Thursday 3pm to 6pm =1 day
Thursday 6pm to Friday 6am = 1 night
Friday 6am to Friday 6pm = 1 day
Friday 6pm to Saturday 6am=1 night
Saturday 6am to Saturday 6pm=1 day
Saturday 6pm to Sunday 6am = 1 night

Totalling : 3days, and 3 nights

The argument that the first day is not a full day persists, but it should be noted that he was condemned by 6am on Thursday, which means he was already a "dead" man. The main thing is that he died on the day hours and was buried before the night, thereby satisfying the first day. He did not say 72hrs, as our modern day Bible teachers want us to believe.


When Jonah was on the whale 's belly, he did not enter in by exactly 6am, but within the day hours. He was not there for 72hrs. For more resources, I did a thread on this SE real years ago


Christ Died on Thursday and Resurrected
on Sunday ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2016, 12:06 PM
 
910 posts, read 1,043,029 times
Reputation: 117
He was killed a day after he celebrated his own passover with his disciples. No other people celebrated the passover on that date. He had to because he was the passover lamb. He being God knew that he would die the following day and hence did his passover a day earlier.

The following day was the passover and the next day was the Sabbath. The following day the ladies we think in early in the morning and found he had risen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2016, 12:08 PM
 
910 posts, read 1,043,029 times
Reputation: 117
Typing from a phone..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2016, 05:36 AM
 
34,462 posts, read 8,876,928 times
Reputation: 4785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbron View Post
Christ died on Thursday by 3pm, buried before 6pm.That satisfies one day. Day is 12hrs, night is 24hrs.

Thursday 3pm to 6pm =1 day
Thursday 6pm to Friday 6am = 1 night
Friday 6am to Friday 6pm = 1 day
Friday 6pm to Saturday 6am=1 night
Saturday 6am to Saturday 6pm=1 day
Saturday 6pm to Sunday 6am = 1 night

Totalling : 3days, and 3 nights

The argument that the first day is not a full day persists, but it should be noted that he was condemned by 6am on Thursday, which means he was already a "dead" man. The main thing is that he died on the day hours and was buried before the night, thereby satisfying the first day. He did not say 72hrs, as our modern day Bible teachers want us to believe.


When Jonah was on the whale 's belly, he did not enter in by exactly 6am, but within the day hours. He was not there for 72hrs. For more resources, I did a thread on this SE real years ago


Christ Died on Thursday and Resurrected
on Sunday ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 )
Ingenious. Interpret "death" to include the condemnation at the trial. Which would give you most of the crucifixion day, rather than just the last hour or so. It is a bit harder to make that 'In the bowels of the earth', though.

But the problem still remains. All of the crucifixion day or just a couple of hours can only be Thursday rather than Friday if you fiddle in an extra day when nothing happens (which would be Friday Passover or the Saturday normal Sabbath). You can do that by making the Sabbath when they rested (Luke 23.56) two days. This is a bit awkward as Matthew 27 62 -on has the Sadducees the day after the crucifixion setting a guard. (on the "Sabbath") and Jesus rising on the 'first day of the week' (Sunday). So if the guard is set on a Friday "Passover Sabbath' then Saturday passes without mention.

Ok, so it isn't mentioned. But the refutation is Luke saying that the Sunday resurrection is the 'third day' since the trial and crucifixion. If that was on the Thursday, it would be the fourth day.

Assuming that Matthew's 'after three days' is not just based on his own prophecy from Jonah, it rather questions why they ask that the tomb be secured until the third day. How can they be sure when the third day was? They could count from Thursday to Saturday and remove the guard before Sunday which is when the Disciples could 'steal the body' and claim a resurrection after the Third day.

It is the old storymaker's problem of confusing what the writer knows or has in mind with what the character would know. Add to that Luke's refutation of a Thursday to Sunday 'three days' and Matthew, and you, chum, are sunk.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-01-2016 at 06:17 AM.. Reason: tidy -up and few capitals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2016, 12:39 AM
 
910 posts, read 1,043,029 times
Reputation: 117
TRANS

Jesus did not tell you that he will be on the earth for 72hours. You are the one interpreting it that way. He only said 3 days and 3 nights.


If he died at 3pm, and was buried in the daytime, does that not satisfy 1 day? When in the daytime hours was Jonah swallowed by the whale? At exactly 6am?

In the time of Jesus, any event that falls on the 12hour daytime or the 12 hour nighttime was regarded as happening in either in the day or night. There was no buts. They were clear a out day and night hours.

The significance of understanding and knowing the time of his death is that his death is the basis of our faith. If we do not get it right, then we do not know who we worship and we do not have the Holy Spirit.

None of the Synoptic writers alluded to Friday. Friday is an interpretation from folks without the Spirit of God. And these folks are the majority in the Christiandom. You see them push funny doctrines like : rapture and that Christ will descend from heaven in his second coming. They are under the influence of the Spirit of error.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2016, 07:53 AM
 
34,462 posts, read 8,876,928 times
Reputation: 4785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlbron View Post
TRANS

Jesus did not tell you that he will be on the earth for 72hours. You are the one interpreting it that way. He only said 3 days and 3 nights.


If he died at 3pm, and was buried in the daytime, does that not satisfy 1 day? When in the daytime hours was Jonah swallowed by the whale? At exactly 6am?

In the time of Jesus, any event that falls on the 12hour daytime or the 12 hour nighttime was regarded as happening in either in the day or night. There was no buts. They were clear a out day and night hours.

The significance of understanding and knowing the time of his death is that his death is the basis of our faith. If we do not get it right, then we do not know who we worship and we do not have the Holy Spirit.

None of the Synoptic writers alluded to Friday. Friday is an interpretation from folks without the Spirit of God. And these folks are the majority in the Christiandom. You see them push funny doctrines like : rapture and that Christ will descend from heaven in his second coming. They are under the influence of the Spirit of error.
Well. Three days and three nights (Matthew and nobody else) looks like one day ( 24 hours or 12 daylight hours makes no difference) plus three nights of 12 -hour dark.

The 'third day' (Luke) could indeed count in part of a day from 3 pm. as you say. It doesn't quite work for me as a day of 'three days and three nights'. But if you say it does, then the problem is removed. Friday counts as one of those 'days'.

Friday isn't mentioned of course. but Sunday (effectively) is as the 'First day of the week'. One night, and perhaps sunrise (1).
The day before looks like the Saturday Sabbath. One night of Jesus in the tomb and one day of a guard being posted.
Thus the day before (crucifixion) is the day of preparation - Friday and one 'day' if you count the last few hours.

Two nights; two days. That's why an extra day that isn't actually mentioned in the story has to be fiddled in as a 'Passover' Sabbath (on Friday) to push the crucifixion to Thursday. Then you get three days and three nights.

The problem there is that Cleophas in Luke is talking (Sunday morning) about the third day since the arrest, trial and crucifixion which, had it been on the Thursday, would be (seen from Sunday morning) the FOURTH day. So Luke contradicts an Extra Sabbath and the crucifixion being pushed back to Thursday.

That means that the crucifixion was on a Friday. Unless you say that Luke was wrong.

(1) some insist that 'Dawn' meant the start of the new day which would effectively be Saturday evening as Sunday was starting. I don't mind: it just means less time in the tomb than if Jesus has all Sunday night to kip.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-02-2016 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: Just a bit of editing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top