Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 07:05 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,144,150 times

Advertisements

Crucifixion was actually on a Thursday.......due to several confusing factors tradition has it Friday. There were three days of preparation in a row that week. Wed-Thur-Fri were all days of preparation. Wed prep day for Passover, Thursday prep day for Feast of unleavened bread, and Friday prep day for the weekly Sabbath. Jesus plainly told the scribes and Pharisees He would be in the grave not just for 3 days, but for 3 nights as well. If the crucifixion were Friday you don't have 3 nights. If Jesus died at 3pm Friday there was no time to prepare the body and move it to the grave amidst the entire population of Israel packed into Jerusalem before sundown. No work was to be done after sundown. There were 3 holy days you were required to be present in Jerusalem, and Passover was one of them. If you were not present you were thrown out of the country.

So Thursday was the real day of the crucifixion, and the elders of the Temple were well aware of the 3 days and 3 nights and were going to make sure it was exactly that way as we see in Matthew 27

Mat 27:62 The next day, that is, after the day of Preparation, the chief priests and the Pharisees gathered before Pilate
Mat 27:63 and said, "Sir, we remember how that impostor said, while he was still alive, 'After three days I will rise.'
Mat 27:64 Therefore order the tomb to be made secure until the third day, lest his disciples go and steal him away and tell the people, 'He has risen from the dead,' and the last fraud will be worse than the first."
Mat 27:65 Pilate said to them, "You have a guard of soldiers. Go, make it as secure as you can."
Mat 27:66 So they went and made the tomb secure by sealing the stone and setting a guard.

Remember also that days over in Israel begin the day BEFORE at sundown......technically when the Rabbi's see 3 stars in the sky......so Friday evening at sundown began Saturday and ran til sundown the next day......this is the traditional Sabbath day still practiced until now by the Jews.

I am well aware this post will change nothing out there.....but it may answer some questions for the critical thinkers out there who know when Jesus says something, it will happen exactly as He says it will.

Happy Easter everybody......and be looking up!

Old 03-25-2016, 08:52 PM

27,955 posts, read 29,792,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
I am well aware this post will change nothing out there...
You're probably right, but I agree with you. I became convinced of this in talking to a Jewish convert to Christianity. He knew his stuff and everything he said made perfect sense to me.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:08 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,868,562 times
You don't know as much as you think you do. Jews in Jesus day did not count days the way we do today. EG; When you were born, you were one year old. So they started counting with one, not zero. So Friday is day one. Jesus is in the grave on Friday. Saturday is two, and Easter Sunday is three. Jesus clearly said he would rise on the third day, and so he did. Also, John's Gospel makes it clear that Jesus was in the grave on Friday, before the Sabbath.

Jn 19:31 Now it was the day of Preparation, and the next day was to be a special Sabbath.

I'm
always amazed by these special snowflakes that think that they are so smart, smarter than all the Christian scholars and spent their lives studying in the Biblical texts, and discovered something new.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:56 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,255,983 times
What difference does it really make?

Old 03-26-2016, 01:38 AM

50,082 posts, read 20,556,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
As was said on a similar thread, it is about gospel reliability. In this case, if there are actually three 'preparation days' before a Sabbath, the one on which Jesus was crucified is undeniably Friday, because it had to be over before the Sabbath began that evening. That means that you can wangle three days if you count the last couple of hours of Friday. I see no way that fiddling days of reckoning can get Jesus crucified on Thursday or any other day.

Old 03-26-2016, 03:38 AM

9,674 posts, read 9,961,986 times
On Good Friday here the only church to have a service were I go is packed were the cars are backed up right to the highway , so I just stayed home , and Jesus Holy Spirit quicken that I should watch a movie of the last days of Jesus for Good Friday ......... So may be Jesus Holy Spirit got it wrong and it should have been on Thursday , or maybe Jesus Spirit is not legalistic and believe Good Friday is alright ..

Old 03-26-2016, 08:26 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,255,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
As was said on a similar thread, it is about gospel reliability. In this case, if there are actually three 'preparation days' before a Sabbath, the one on which Jesus was crucified is undeniably Friday, because it had to be over before the Sabbath began that evening. That means that you can wangle three days if you count the last couple of hours of Friday. I see no way that fiddling days of reckoning can get Jesus crucified on Thursday or any other day.
It has no effect, other than how one desires to interpret it.
Inspiration is a matter of perception, not one of precision.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:47 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,921,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
You don't know as much as you think you do. Jews in Jesus day did not count days the way we do today. EG; When you were born, you were one year old. So they started counting with one, not zero. So Friday is day one. Jesus is in the grave on Friday. Saturday is two, and Easter Sunday is three. Jesus clearly said he would rise on the third day, and so he did. Also, John's Gospel makes it clear that Jesus was in the grave on Friday, before the Sabbath.

Jn 19:31 Now it was the day of Preparation, and the next day was to be a special Sabbath.

I'm
always amazed by these special snowflakes that think that they are so smart, smarter than all the Christian scholars and spent their lives studying in the Biblical texts, and discovered something new.
Maybe the problem is that you lack critical thinking...In Jesus day a "Yom" (day) was 12 hours...It was the Romans who introduced the 24 hour day from midnight to midnight...This is why Jesus specifically stated three days and three nights, otherwise he would just have said three days....The Jews in Jesus day went by the lunar calendar and not the solar one...

It always amazes me that we have these special snowflakes that think that they know more than the sages of Judaism which Christianity claims to be a part of...

Old 03-26-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Consider that they went to the tomb early on the first day of the week when it was dark and consider that to a Jew the first day of the week began Saturday after sunset...Hmmm...

Old 03-26-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
On Good Friday here the only church to have a service were I go is packed were the cars are backed up right to the highway , so I just stayed home , and Jesus Holy Spirit quicken that I should watch a movie of the last days of Jesus for Good Friday ......... So may be Jesus Holy Spirit got it wrong and it should have been on Thursday , or maybe Jesus Spirit is not legalistic and believe Good Friday is alright ..
So, the Holy Spirit told you to entertain yourself on that Holy Day?...Hmm....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity