U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-26-2016, 02:36 PM
 
3,138 posts, read 2,056,770 times
Reputation: 5031

Advertisements

I went to Good Friday service last night at my local church.

Beyond my expectations, the church was nearly filled completely with others who came to worship and serve Christ on this important day in our faith.


We sat and watched a re-enactment of the final hours of the life of Jesus, prior to his crucifixion and death upon the Cross.

My pastor's focus was on Mark 15:33-40(ESV):

"And when the sixth hour had come, there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour. And at the ninth hour, Jesus cried with a loud voice, 'Eloi, eloi, lema sabachthani?' which means,'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?'And some of the bystanders hearing it said, 'Behold, he is calling Elijah.' And someone ran and filled a sponge with sour wine, put it on a reed and gave it to him to drink, saying 'Wait, let us see whether Elijah will come to take him down.' And Jesus uttered a loud cry and breathed his last. And the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom. And when the centurion, who stood facing him, saw that int his way he breathed his last, he said 'Truly, this man was the Son of God.' "


The last hours of our Savior were a tragic one, and being reminded of his beating, torture, and humiliation, all for the sake of our sins, of my sins, brings tears to my eyes.

In a world and time when so much seems uncertain, where people degrade us and they belittle and degrade Jesus, and reject Him privately and openly, and truly cling to all the lies that Satan tells them, it's hard sometimes to keep the focus on Jesus. It truly is.

But last night was a vivid reminder of the Holy day that will come...a reminder that our Savior died for us, and not only did He die, but He rose from the grave and is alive. Aren't you happy that the curtain of the temple was torn in two? I know I am!!!

I am so thankful that with all of my sins, my humanity, my weakness, and my flaws, that I love and serve a risen Savior...who is the same yesterday, today, and will be the same, tomorrow. I serve a risen Savior who died for me. That fills my heart with more love and thankfulness than any earthly possession or human love can give me.

Are there any other Christians out there who love Christ, strive to be like Him and live for Him, and understand what I'm saying?

Last edited by erjunkee; 03-26-2016 at 03:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-26-2016, 02:55 PM
 
1,481 posts, read 797,276 times
Reputation: 569
well, I would assume that most every Christian that remembers and celebrates the suffering, death, and resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in some way during this holy season indeed pretty much understands what you're saying and likely agrees with you, too.


"Christ our Passover has been sacrificed. let us keep the feast...with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth" (1 Cor. 5:8).


or the traditional Easter/Paschal greeting and response:


"Christ is risen, alleluia!!!" He is risen indeed, alleluia!!"


may the risen and victorious Christ give you and yours peace and joy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2016, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
15,574 posts, read 7,029,485 times
Reputation: 1607
You know, the "risen" part is totally great, but, honestly, I am overjoyed to celeberate a Savior who taught love as a basis for His community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2016, 03:09 PM
 
1,481 posts, read 797,276 times
Reputation: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
You know, the "risen" part is totally great, but, honestly, I am overjoyed to celeberate a Savior who taught love as a basis for His community.


it's o.k. you can be overjoyed for both (or either if you so choose). the "risen part" that Easter celebrates is seen as the triumph of love and life over hate and death.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 03-26-2016 at 03:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2016, 03:45 PM
 
3,138 posts, read 2,056,770 times
Reputation: 5031
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
You know, the "risen" part is totally great, but, honestly, I am overjoyed to celeberate a Savior who taught love as a basis for His community.

The "risen' part, as you term it, is the foundation of Christianity and Christ's ministry on this earth.

While any of us should be glad that He taught love, the essence of who He was (e.g. His existence as the Son of God, His sacrificial death upon the Cross, and His resurrection...all so that those of us who believe in Him will be saved and won't suffer eternal separation from God).., is what separates Christianity and its followers of Christ from the other religions and belief systems of this world.

Christ's ministry was so much more than about love. It was about letting the world know that He was the Son of God, and that He was sent down to earth to fulfill the promises of His father.

It is the crux of who we are and what we believe.

Just my thought...

But thank you for sharing !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2016, 04:16 PM
 
20,324 posts, read 15,687,589 times
Reputation: 7441
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
The "risen' part, as you term it, is the foundation of Christianity and Christ's ministry on this earth.

While any of us should be glad that He taught love, the essence of who He was (e.g. His existence as the Son of God, His sacrificial death upon the Cross, and His resurrection...all so that those of us who believe in Him will be saved and won't suffer eternal separation from God).., is what separates Christianity and its followers of Christ from the other religions and belief systems of this world.

Christ's ministry was so much more than about love. It was about letting the world know that He was the Son of God, and that He was sent down to earth to fulfill the promises of His father.

It is the crux of who we are and what we believe.

Just my thought...

But thank you for sharing !!
Exactly. If Jesus had not risen, there would have been no hope for anyone beyond the grave.

Paul made that point clear when he stated the following.
1 Cor. 15:13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, not even Christ has been raised; 14] and if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is vain, your faith also is vain. 15] Moreover we are even found to be false witnesses of God, because we testified against God that He raised Christ, whom He did not raise, if in fact the dead are not raised. 16] For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised; 17] and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins. 18] Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. 19] If we have hoped in Christ in this life only, we are of all men most to be pitied. 20] But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep.
As Jesus said to Martha;
John 11:25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies, 26] and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die. Do you believe this?"
Christianity and the growth of the early church never would have happened without Jesus having been resurrected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2016, 04:22 PM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,825 posts, read 9,829,925 times
Reputation: 1302


Isaiah 53:5
But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________


Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days.”
“No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2016, 04:23 PM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,825 posts, read 9,829,925 times
Reputation: 1302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Exactly. If Jesus had not risen, there would have been no hope for anyone beyond the grave.

Paul made that point clear when he stated the following.
1 Cor. 15:13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, not even Christ has been raised; 14] and if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is vain, your faith also is vain. 15] Moreover we are even found to be false witnesses of God, because we testified against God that He raised Christ, whom He did not raise, if in fact the dead are not raised. 16] For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised; 17] and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins. 18] Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. 19] If we have hoped in Christ in this life only, we are of all men most to be pitied. 20] But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep.
As Jesus said to Martha;
John 11:25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies, 26] and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die. Do you believe this?"
Christianity and the growth of the early church never would have happened without Jesus having been resurrected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2016, 05:09 PM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
15,574 posts, read 7,029,485 times
Reputation: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
The "risen' part, as you term it, is the foundation of Christianity and Christ's ministry on this earth.....
No, erjunkee, that's an error taught by religion, often at the expense of faithful participation in community. While "risen" is great, the foundation of Christian Faith is the love Jesus taught as expressed in the "New Commandment."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2016, 05:24 PM
 
3,138 posts, read 2,056,770 times
Reputation: 5031
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
No, erjunkee, that's an error taught by religion, often at the expense of faithful participation in community. While "risen" is great, the foundation of Christian Faith is the love Jesus taught as expressed in the "New Commandment."
You are free to disagree.
But, I'm not going to use my thread to get into a back and forth disagreement with you, as that's not it's purpose. If you'd like, feel free to start your own thread concerning your understanding of Christ.

My thread is about praising the Lord and focusing on the resurrection of Our Savior.

Nevertheless, thank you for replying. Moreover, thank you, in advance, for being respectful of this thread and its intentions.

Last edited by erjunkee; 03-26-2016 at 05:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top