U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 07:59 PM

15,140 posts, read 8,226,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
And an all knowing god/creator had no idea what the outcome and utter destruction it would have to do because of this "free will" design choice it made?
You would have preferred to be a robot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 08:15 PM

2,728 posts, read 848,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You would have preferred to be a robot?
How do you know you're not a robot? An omni god creator could make you think you had free will, right?

Why did god give you what YOU need to fully believe and hide from so many others?

Old 03-28-2016, 08:23 PM

15,140 posts, read 8,226,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
How do you know you're not a robot? An omni god creator could make you think you had free will, right?

Why did god give you what YOU need to fully believe and hide from so many others?
I'm not any different from you, as far as that goes. I believe in a creator because it's logical. I believe in the Christian God because it makes sense (God reaching down to man).

Old 03-28-2016, 09:20 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,325,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
LOL My hand basket will have lots of cake and cookies. Come on over.
You'll need to make a lot...let's see...who's been told they're going to hell on these threads? Hmmm...off the top of my head that would be you, me, Trout, Katzpur, Mystic, Nate, Gikigirl, Shirina, Freak....I know I'm forgetting people...hopefully they'll forgive me for being forgetful and leaving them out of the Told We're Going To Hell Club.

Prepare to work over-time.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:46 AM

8,582 posts, read 5,113,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
Fashioning a whip and attacking the banking system with full blown rage was neither humble...and not obedient to the standing monetary system during his time...He only insisted you pay taxes to keep the man from harassing you...kind of like tossing a vicious dog a bone to get rid of the thing. "Give what is Caesar's to Caesar's - give to God what belongs to God" to para phrase. Now if everything actually belongs to God...you give nothing to the state...The only reason he did suggest paying taxes was to "not cause them offence".....Charity should be done through free will...not forced. No this Jesus guy was shrewd.
Actually there was a bit of spirituality attached with Jesus' "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's."

What is called the "tribute penny," which was in circulation throughout Jesus' adult lifetime had a quite interesting inscription:
“Caesar Augustus Tiberius, son of the Divine Augustus" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribute_penny)

Because of this there lies the possibility of multiple interpretations, none of which can be hard and fast.
A. It is good and appropriate to submit to the state when asked;
B. Spiritual demands supersede earthly demands, but do not abolish them;
C. The demands of the state are non-negotiable;
D. As everything belongs to God and nothing belongs to any man, including Caesar, then there is nothing to render unto Caesar.

Those are just a few I can think of. Personally I think Jesus' words may have been said with a bit of disgust at the supposed divinity of a "man." Isn't that ironic with our own Christian views of Jesus being the "God-Man."

Old 03-29-2016, 03:39 AM

10,491 posts, read 4,133,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The part that makes sense to me is:

John 3

16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
ok so I am an atheist. there is no evidence of your omni dude. So I look for similarities in us.

so what would/could these things mean to both of us.

sent his son:
There are more important things than just me and my family, including my 8yr old. things like truth, justice, and liberty for all?

Believes in him shall not perish:
This means many things, but simply there are more important things than death. Acts of Compassion go far past the body. or a body.

everlasting life:
well today we understand the universe better than they did back then. If you believe in the conservation laws and compassion, you understand you really don't die because we are just a series of interconnected events. A confluence of events. I think those guys back then were very insightful for what they didn't know. Life is Like a gust of wind in a storm. or a wave in the ocean. now take a still photo, that's us.

so, Do you think you and I could work to together to stop oppression by those that use the bible as a weapon together? any belief as a weapon? Or are you of the flavor that we must have the same color spirit wear, bible only, and intentions are meaningless? Don't answer to quick, I have a lot riding on your answer.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:43 AM

17,691 posts, read 8,866,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Yes, Jesus was humble. Although He had existed eternally as God, He did not hesitate to set aside His privileges as God and take the form of man, becoming true humanity (while still being God; [Jesus Christ in hypostatic union; the two natures of Jesus - His divine nature and His human nature in one person]) and submitting to the will of the Father by going to the cross to die for our sins, in our place, as our substitute.
Phil. 2:3 Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; 4] do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. 5] Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, 6] who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7] but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. 8] Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. 9] For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, 10] so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11] and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Though knowing Himself to be God, Jesus did not come to be served, but to serve.
Mark 10:45 "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."
That is the humility of the Lord Jesus Christ.
You have a dual nature, following the one you feed the most.
Be careful not to crucify the wrong one - the innocent who hunger.

And thirst after what is good, right and correct.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
The OT is not the Torah, or Tanakh. Tell Dro.. the thing about Jesus not being Christian. I have always know it.

You are delivering your message of my salvation with out a hint of sincerity. It shows. I am amused.

Again you think it is your role to interpret the bible written by other men for me. You have convinced yourself they were inspired.

I have never felt the need for such blind adoration. Some of those very writers come across about as sincere as you do. hahahaha I see the connection.

I do not substitute the judgement of men over my own, when it comes to God. You have no standing in that relationship, so your interpretations and opinions about the bible do not concern me. Your interpretations apply only to you.

Perhaps that is why I have no stress about "salvation." God has no problem with my choices either.
I will take a dozen of those cookie tins.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:53 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,155,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Who is the prince of this world?
The Prince of Darkness: Lucifer. Beelzebub. Asteroth. Moloch. Semjaza. Azazel. Dagon. Pazuzu. Baal. Tchort. The Prince of Lies. He-Who-Cannot-Be-Named.

aka The Great Satan. Call him Legion, for he is many.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Who is the prince of this world?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
The Prince of Darkness: Lucifer. Beelzebub. Asteroth. Moloch. Semjaza. Azazel. Dagon. Pazuzu. Baal. Tchort. The Prince of Lies. He-Who-Cannot-Be-Named.

aka The Great Satan. Call him Legion, for he is many.
Flies on cow-dung.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity