Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2016, 07:33 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,139,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
There's a lot of paranoia about evangelical members, and I just don't get it. There's a bit of a difference between many evangelical churches... some pretty significant differences, in fact. They don't all think with one mind like a zombie horde. They're a handy target group these days, I think. An all-purpose minority group that's being set up as a type of bogeyman.
5 things 99.9% of evangelicals believe and INSIST others believe as well--

1. They point to a specific, personal conversion experience in which they are "born again" or "saved." According to PrayerFoundation.com, "individuals (above an age of accountability) must personally trust in Jesus Christ for salvation."

2. Evangelical Christians believe in the Bible as God's inspired Word to humankind, perfect in truth in the original text. It is the "final authority in all matters of doctrine and faith — above all human authority," according to EvangelicalBeliefs.com.

3. Evangelicals believe the work of Jesus on the cross, through his death and resurrection, is the only source of salvation and forgiveness of sins. PrayerFoundation.com makes it clear that salvation is through faith alone.

People can do nothing to earn their way to heaven. Instead, as EvangelicalBeliefs.com points out, believers do "good works in grateful response to our pardon, not to cause it."

4. Evangelical Christians are strongly motivated to share the gospel either one-on-one or through organized missions. Emphasis is placed on the Great Commission's call to share with the world the Christian message of salvation through Christ, and to "be publicly baptized as a confession of faith," according to PrayerFoundation.com.
Latest News Update

5. Most, though not all, evangelicals believe there will be a rapture in the end times where the church will be "caught up with Christ before the Great Tribulation, leaving nonbelievers behind to suffer on Earth," states the Pew Research Center. This idea has gained attention through the "Left Behind" book series by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins, and the related movies.

But, there are some, like the Reverand William Barber (North Carolina) who are determined to RESTORE the true meaning of EVANGELICALISM--

But “evangelical” is a label that has been hijacked and manipulated by the political establishment in America. When pundits refer again and again to the “evangelical vote,” they are leaning on the Cliff Notes of the so called “far right”– the extreme religionists who use a perverted interpretation of faith to endorse an extreme agenda.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/...#storylink=cpy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 08:43 AM

77,012 posts, read 47,481,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
5 things 99.9% of evangelicals believe and INSIST others believe as well--

1. They point to a specific, personal conversion experience in which they are "born again" or "saved." According to PrayerFoundation.com, "individuals (above an age of accountability) must personally trust in Jesus Christ for salvation."

2. Evangelical Christians believe in the Bible as God's inspired Word to humankind, perfect in truth in the original text. It is the "final authority in all matters of doctrine and faith — above all human authority," according to EvangelicalBeliefs.com.

3. Evangelicals believe the work of Jesus on the cross, through his death and resurrection, is the only source of salvation and forgiveness of sins. PrayerFoundation.com makes it clear that salvation is through faith alone.

People can do nothing to earn their way to heaven. Instead, as EvangelicalBeliefs.com points out, believers do "good works in grateful response to our pardon, not to cause it."

4. Evangelical Christians are strongly motivated to share the gospel either one-on-one or through organized missions. Emphasis is placed on the Great Commission's call to share with the world the Christian message of salvation through Christ, and to "be publicly baptized as a confession of faith," according to PrayerFoundation.com.
Latest News Update

5. Most, though not all, evangelicals believe there will be a rapture in the end times where the church will be "caught up with Christ before the Great Tribulation, leaving nonbelievers behind to suffer on Earth," states the Pew Research Center. This idea has gained attention through the "Left Behind" book series by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins, and the related movies.
And for some reason their beliefs offend you to no end.

Quote:
But, there are some, like the Reverend William Barber (North Carolina) who are determined to RESTORE the true meaning of EVANGELICALISM--

But “evangelical” is a label that has been hijacked and manipulated by the political establishment in America. When pundits refer again and again to the “evangelical vote,” they are leaning on the Cliff Notes of the so called “far right”– the extreme religionists who use a perverted interpretation of faith to endorse an extreme agenda.
Actually they refer simply to those Christians who tend to vote for Christians candidates. On this board the word 'evangelical' has been perverted to refer to some form of extremism which is represented by tiny fraction of people, like Westboro Baptists. It is very dishonest. It is used to paint every born again Christians as a "pharisee", "cultist", "book worshipper" and every other name atheist (the hostile variant) typically throw at Christians.

The true meaning of Evangelicalism has not changed, although the enemy is working hard to change it, even on this discussion board.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:37 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,683,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Well, you lied when you aid I worship a book rather than Jesus, and I pointed out the lie. Why shouldn't I?
I'm sorry, but I thought in a previous thread you stated unequivocally that the Bible is inerrant and infallible. That is equating it with Jesus Christ and equals worship. If you do NOT believe that, then I do apologize. If you do, then the shoe fits.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Evangelicals also do not view their faith in Christ like that. They also do not spend their days condemning millions of people like you do. Lets face it, condemning ALL evangelicals in general is not very smart. It only shows that you have an agenda.
But evangelicals who have escaped the cult DO view it like that. I'm one of them.

The evangelical church used to condemn no one. Now it condemns everyone not like them.

I haven't condemned evangelicals, they've simply found that broad and trouble free path of life--and have decided everyone else will be on the same path or be assigned to hell. So, yes, there are millions of people on it. But I don't do the condemning, God does that in his own time. What I do is point out how Pharisaical their tactics are---promoting the LAW rather than the Spirit.

But if you wish to see me as an evil person with an agenda--go for it. Because as a Christ follower I cannot be offended----that is the realm of evangelicals--to be constantly offended because they cannot cram their views down the throats of the rest of society.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:

Actually they refer simply to those Christians who tend to vote for Christians candidates. On this board the word 'evangelical' has been perverted to refer to some form of extremism which is represented by tiny fraction of people, like Westboro Baptists. It is very dishonest. It is used to paint every born again Christians as a "pharisee", "cultist", "book worshipper" and every other name atheist (the hostile variant) typically throw at Christians.

The true meaning of Evangelicalism has not changed, although the enemy is working hard to change it, even on this discussion board.
I'm a born again Christian, but it was evangelicals who changed and perverted their own message. I was alive and a member of the SBC for many years before it began to be subverted.

And, yes, evangelical now represents something extreme in its basic understanding of God. That was not always so historically. Evangelicals were once students who learned by following the teacher (Jesus), now confuse certainty with faith. And that faith is merely a cosmic transaction, not a vital live in the NOW servanthood.

The narrow path leads away from closed religious systems that sanctify the "saved" and render the lost dispensable. The narrow path stands opposed to a government supported view of an empire-driven theocracy.

Evangelicals have fallen in love with Jesus as a supernatural deity, but they reject Jesus as a teacher on how to live in the NOW. Therefore, countless seekers of truth are in exile from the church of their youth, a mass of refugees from organized religion. We walking wounded cannot return until the evangelical church commits itself to intellectual honesty and an alternative vision for living in a lost world.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:14 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,019,582 times
Well Warden, I guess I owe you an apology. According to the definition above, I believe 1-4 even though no man beat it into me (which is why I DON'T believe 5), so I guess that makes me a pin-wearing label. I'll try to live with the shame. Peace

Old 04-09-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:

Not offend, just .... really disappointed that they would use these as a means of manipulation and control. They seem to believe these tenets are the ONLY way to assure COMPLAINACE and break members of their FREE WILL.

What really saddens me is there are people who AGREE 110% and are PROUD to use these to EXCLUDE people who are different from them(we all know who THEM are, right? wink, wink)

Evangelicals go far beyond the Westboro clowns. Include are 99.8 % TV evangelists, 97.9% of conservative politicians, 100% of those who believe the bible is 100% infallible and equal to gittb, and 100& of those who have deeply-held religious beliefs that they use to justify DISCRIMINATION and BIGOTRY because their gittb say to HATE.

So, contrary to the evangelical mindset, it has changed and changed drastically.

And as Reverend Barber states--

True evangelicalism spoken from the lips and words of Jesus places concern for the poor and the broken and the battered and the imprisoned and the blind and the bruised and those made to feel unacceptable at the center of faith. This evangelicalism seeks to invite all to care for the least of these, to have a deep concern for justice and love and mercy as it relates not just the individual piety and charity but to public morality social justice and governmental policies.

Read more here: Evangelicals are not for Trump or Carson, but for the Gospel | News & Observer

And others also recognize evangelicaism is not what it ought (used to) be--

'Evangelical Christianity Has Been Hijacked': An Interview with Tony Campolo
Read more at 'Evangelical Christianity Has Been Hijacked': An Interview with Tony Campolo--politics faith Democracts gay rights women Falwell - Beliefnet.com

Old 04-09-2016, 12:51 PM

77,012 posts, read 47,481,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Well Warden, I guess I owe you an apology. According to the definition above, I believe 1-4 even though no man beat it into me (which is why I DON'T believe 5), so I guess that makes me a pin-wearing label. I'll try to live with the shame. Peace
The poster failed to show how any of those beliefs are so wrong they have to be attacked on daily bases.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
The poster failed to show how any of those beliefs are so wrong they have to be attacked on daily bases.
The article speaks for itself, it does not need to be defended..

Old 04-09-2016, 01:13 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,088,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
So, it was YOU who gave me a jump start the other night and contributed to the charity I was in the process of collecting for before my car died? Excellent! And, to think that you came all the way from the states to Australia just to do that! Excellent!
I'm of the opinion that giving someone a jump start is one of the great acts of charity. I've been on the receiving end and have always been grateful to the strangers who have stopped to offer help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity