U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-09-2016, 08:26 PM
 
37,615 posts, read 25,307,232 times
Reputation: 5860

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Still promoting a false made up Christ, I see.
Only you could think that a Christ of unconditional love and acceptance is a false made-up Christ. If you think NOT smiting those who scourged and crucified Him and loving them instead because they knew not what they did is NOT an unconditional love, I simply do not know how your mind works, jeff.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 04-09-2016 at 08:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-09-2016, 08:27 PM
 
Location: East Coast
30,294 posts, read 20,031,205 times
Reputation: 2110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It seems some people went from one brand of spiritual darkness to another brand, and now they blame the former brand for causing their misery. The fact that they are still disgusted about everything only proves they did not have the the truth then, and they don't have it today. See searching my friends. When you find it, you will have peace, and the desire to smear others will be erased.
Given the choice of being a slave to what fundamentalists determine to be sin and and the beliefs of fundamentalism, I would today choose what the fundamentalists determine to be sin over their beliefs every day of the week, because fundamentalists are in far more darkness than those who who are looked upon by them to be sinners. Jesus got it right when he said the prositutes, publicans, tax collectors and so forth are entering kingdom living before the fundamentalists.

You keep boasting in the spread of folk buying into the message of the evangelicals and it spreading like wildfire, like it is a seal of approval that God is behind it, yet it totally contradicts your other beliefs that only a few are saved and being in the end times many fall away, Yes I know you have your fingers stuck in years saying you are not listening because you are unwilling to reason and explain your contradictory beliefs. It was seeing such hypocrisy IN MYSELF I walked away from fundamentalism
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2016, 09:47 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
2,202 posts, read 1,325,914 times
Reputation: 1353
Did some soul searching and want to slightly retract the claim I made that christians are a 1000: 1 ratio better than unbelievers which theorectically is false as seculars and unbelievers in Christ can be very moral via individual choice and life style. Charging that christians have led to increased immorality is ridiculous BUT too many christians are giving into adultery, porn and at the end of the day really are not christians at all just title dummies. So man does disappoint as God warns . The disappointment then transcends to easy targets who leverage off that immorality once exposed and uses the minority of christians that mess up to develope philosophies, avoid church, avoid scripture and eventually become Godless nomads that are in the end are full of baloney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2016, 11:06 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
8,634 posts, read 5,137,028 times
Reputation: 3919
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Still promoting a false made up Christ, I see.
Quote:
The pious fellowship [evangelical] permits no one to be a sinner. So everybody must conceal his sin from himself and from the fellowship. We dare not be sinners. Many Christians are unthinkably horrified when a real sinner is suddenly discovered among the righteous. So we remain alone with our sin, living in lies and hypocrisy. The fact is that we are sinners!
Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Life Together: The Classic Exploration of Christian Community
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2016, 11:10 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
8,634 posts, read 5,137,028 times
Reputation: 3919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It seems some people went from one brand of spiritual darkness to another brand, and now they blame the former brand for causing their misery. The fact that they are still disgusted about everything only proves they did not have the the truth then, and they don't have it today. See searching my friends. When you find it, you will have peace, and the desire to smear others will be erased.
Quote:
“The messengers of Jesus will be hated to the end of time. They will be blamed for all the division which rend cities and homes. Jesus and his disciples will be condemned on all sides for undermining family life, and for leading the nation astray; they will be called crazy fanatics and disturbers of the peace."
Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Yes, the "true" believers accuse us of destroying cities and homes, family life, and for leading the nation astray. We are fanatics and disturbers of the peace.

Thank you, Jesus.
Quote:

Among the more bizarre developments of the campaign for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination is Donald Trump's apparent popularity among evangelicals. Several polls show Trump garnering a plurality — though not a majority — of evangelical votes.
-----
---Russell Moore of the Southern Baptist Convention claimed that evangelicals had suddenly abandoned biblical values in their fondness for Trump. "To back Mr. Trump," Moore wrote in the New York Times, "these voters must repudiate everything they believe."

Moore's lament that evangelicals have forsaken "the conservation of moral principles and a just society" in their love affair with Trump may be good theater, but it's colossally bad history. The evangelical repudiation of the faith for a mess of political pottage is not a recent phenomenon. It can be traced at least as far back as the 1980 presidential election, when evangelicals deserted Jimmy Carter, one of their own, for Ronald Reagan.

Whereas Carter advocated racial and sexual equality, cornerstones of a "just society" and articles of faith for 19th century evangelicals, Reagan opposed the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act and the proposed Equal Rights Amendment. Reagan opened his 1980 general election campaign in, of all places, Philadelphia, Miss., the site of the brutal slayings of three civil rights workers by the Ku Klux Klan 16 summers earlier. In his speech at the Neshoba County Fair on Aug. 3, Reagan proclaimed his support for "states rights," coded language employed by a generation of Southern segregationists.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...005-story.html

Just tell us who you are voting for, that will reveal everything in your heart without you having to say another word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2016, 11:26 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
8,634 posts, read 5,137,028 times
Reputation: 3919
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Did some soul searching and want to slightly retract the claim I made that christians are a 1000: 1 ratio better than unbelievers which theorectically is false as seculars and unbelievers in Christ can be very moral via individual choice and life style. Charging that christians have led to increased immorality is ridiculous BUT too many christians are giving into adultery, porn and at the end of the day really are not christians at all just title dummies. So man does disappoint as God warns . The disappointment then transcends to easy targets who leverage off that immorality once exposed and uses the minority of christians that mess up to develope philosophies, avoid church, avoid scripture and eventually become Godless nomads that are in the end are full of baloney.
Quote:
Wherever a group, be it large or small, prevents us from standing alone before Christ, wherever such a group raises a claim of immediacy it must be hated for the sake of Christ. For every immediacy, whether we realize it or not, means hatred of Christ, and this is especially true where such relationships claim the sanctions of Christian principles.,,
Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2016, 11:28 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
26,293 posts, read 14,159,711 times
Reputation: 10133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Just tell us who you are voting for, that will reveal everything in your heart without you having to say another word.
The one that sins - that's the one I will be voting for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2016, 07:54 AM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,581 posts, read 31,974,824 times
Reputation: 9423
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Been there, lived them and was saved from them bu GOD and now accept FREE WILL as necessary, the fact the bible is ERROR RIDDEN and distracts from the message of Christ, there is NOT one way to God, LOVE does CONQUER ALL.




1. They point to a specific, personal conversion experience in which they are "born again" or "saved." According to PrayerFoundation.com, "individuals (above an age of accountability) must personally trust in Jesus Christ for salvation."

EVIL to use your word because the concept of BORN AGAIN implies GOD got it wrong the first time.

2. Evangelical Christians believe in the Bible as God's inspired Word to humankind, perfect in truth in the original text. It is the "final authority in all matters of doctrine and faith — above all human authority," according to EvangelicalBeliefs.com.

Continuing to use your word EVIL, IT IS NOT INSPIRED, it is written by MORTAL MEN who wanted to PLEASE authority and power and perpetuate a patriarchal society.

3. Evangelicals believe the work of Jesus on the cross, through his death and resurrection, is the only source of salvation and forgiveness of sins. PrayerFoundation.com makes it clear that salvation is through faith alone.

People can do nothing to earn their way to heaven. Instead, as EvangelicalBeliefs.com points out, believers do "good works in grateful response to our pardon, not to cause it."

Not the forgiveness of sin--BECAUSE WE CONTINUALLY SIN--if it were true that forgiveness of sin gained entry, we would cease to SIN...sin is unavoidable--it is why we sin (intent) that matters and how we try to avoid doing wrong / harming others in the future.

4. Evangelical Christians are strongly motivated to share the gospel either one-on-one or through organized missions. Emphasis is placed on the Great Commission's call to share with the world the Christian message of salvation through Christ, and to "be publicly baptized as a confession of faith," according to PrayerFoundation.com.

Again, your word EVIL because it INTIMIDATES others. Evangelicals whine like a child who has been ignored too long when JWs come knowing on the door--what do they think others are feeling when the evangelical says I HAVE THE TRUTH and ONLY WAY TO ETERNAL LIFE. When they tell us OR ELSE, and never realize how condescending that is, they appear stupid, rude and self-righteous.

5. Most, though not all, evangelicals believe there will be a rapture in the end times where the church will be "caught up with Christ before the Great Tribulation, leaving nonbelievers behind to suffer on Earth," states the Pew Research Center. This idea has gained attention through the "Left Behind" book series by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins, and the related movies.

You can sit around, waiting for the rapture as generations of evangelicals have done all while rejecting their neighbors and community because gittb will make everything alright so let the world go to hell in a hand basket--JUST KEEP PRAYING GOD COMES SOON TO SAVE US FROM THE HELL WE HAVE MADE HERE ON EARTH..
Jesus talked about salvation.. Jesus talked about spreading the Gospel etc, so you are basically saying it is evil to speak the words Jesus spoke.

Your posts shows you are offended by the Gospel. There was a time when I was offended by it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2016, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,581 posts, read 31,974,824 times
Reputation: 9423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I'm sorry, but I thought in a previous thread you stated unequivocally that the Bible is inerrant and infallible. That is equating it with Jesus Christ and equals worship. If you do NOT believe that, then I do apologize. If you do, then the shoe fits.
You said I worship a book rather than Jesus.

It means:

1. I worship a book
2. I do not worship Jesus

It is a lie.

Quote:
I stay out of the judgment business except when it involves Pharisees of today who still promote the LAW. Then I follow Jesus' illustration of how to rebuke them.
If what you said about your past is true (you were a part of a judgmental denomination), then you have been judging people all your life, the only thing that changed was the people you judge. You used to judge non-christians, and today you judge christians. On top of that you feel permanently disgusted. Its not a good way to live.

Embrace Christ and He will give you peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2016, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,581 posts, read 31,974,824 times
Reputation: 9423
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Just leave his name off your posts because he will use whatever you say about him to distract from answering any questions you pose. He seems not to realize that his posts allow us to infer many of his positions. He seems to think that if he did not specifically state anything, we can't know his beliefs. So he accuses us of lying about his beliefs. It is a tiresome merry-go-round to distract from ever actually thinking and answering questions that contradict his views.
One day you swear up and down you have absolutely no idea what I believe, and the next day you claim to be a expert in what I believe. Can you explain how both claims can be true?

Answer: Both cannot be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top