U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-11-2016, 03:15 AM
 
Location: East Coast
30,138 posts, read 19,958,111 times
Reputation: 2105

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The fact that you are still talking about US as if there is nothing outside our borders proves you are not getting what I have tried to explain you about the spread of the Gospel around the world. Or maybe you are simply in denial.
The message going around the world is not American bible fundamentalism. You are kidding yourself if you believe that it is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-11-2016, 06:43 AM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,451 posts, read 31,853,456 times
Reputation: 9399
The message being preached by Evangelical Christians is called "euangelion", which is Greek meaning the good news, or Gospel. The term Evangelical is derived from the very same word. Like pointed out earlier, they are following Christs command to spread the good news to all nations, and the angels cry out in joy every time a person comes to Christ.

I am done with people on this forum who cry out in joy every time a person rejects Christ. They can cry all all day long in my ignore list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2016, 06:54 AM
 
Location: GOVERNMENT of TRAITORS & NAZIS
20,551 posts, read 22,709,293 times
Reputation: 7625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The message being preached by Evangelical Christians is called "euangelion", which is Greek meaning the good news, or Gospel. The term Evangelical is derived from the very same word. Like pointed out earlier, they are following Christs command to spread the good news to all nations, and the angels cry out in joy every time a person comes to Christ.

I am done with people on this forum who cry out in joy every time a person rejects Christ. They can cry all all day long in my ignore list.
Where is the "good news" in discrimination?
Surely bigotry is NOT good news?
Preaching LOVE is NOT enough, how can that be good news?
Denying health care is a far cry from GOOD news
Eliminating food subsidies does not resemble good news
WAR, at any level will never be GOOD NEWS
GREED and ACCUMULATION of wealth has no relationship to good news

I AM DONE with people on this forum who CRY and WHINE like little pre-schoolers every time some challenges their version of good news and holds the Pharisees accountable for their deliberate twisting of Jesus' message of LOVE, MERCY, JUSTICE and COMPASSION simpley because they feel entitled and have membership in some exclusive club that they have been led to BELIEVE one simply cannot do as the thief on the cross did that day and say-REMEMBER ME--and as sure as the 613 Laws no longer apply, the thief was promised a place with Christ in paradise--NO OTHER REQUIREMENTS, NO OTHER HOOPS TO JUMP--FORGIVENESS IS FREE and for the asking--NO MERE MORTAL gets to decide who is and is not on the train...




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O2GbdO-ZYA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2016, 07:11 AM
 
7,685 posts, read 3,408,012 times
Reputation: 1726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
The fact that you are denying one thousand people a day walk away from evangelicalism shows you don't GET what you are doing in your own homeland.

But then it is obvious that you ARE in denial.

Equating Scripture with Jesus is idolatry. You equate Scripture with Jesus--or would you like to deny that? We can then talk about interpreting Scripture meaningfully.

Until then, you are an idolator.

Your biggest lie is toward yourself.
Where is your proof for this fact? If it is true, why does the Pew study show practically zero decline in evangelical Christians in the last 7 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2016, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,451 posts, read 31,853,456 times
Reputation: 9399
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Where is your proof for this fact? If it is true, why does the Pew study show practically zero decline in evangelical Christians in the last 7 years?
He makes it up as he goes. Ironically the biggest declines are in the liberal denominations which have turned the house of God into social clubs and gay-wedding banquets. The other reason for declines is in the liberal education system which is doing a good job at turning our youth into atheists while obtaining higher education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2016, 08:56 AM
 
Location: arizona ... most of the time
11,822 posts, read 9,808,279 times
Reputation: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Rbbi, the event we call the rapture, which is spoken of by Paul in 1 Thessalonians 4:17 as being 'caught up,' is not a lie. The Greek word is harpazó - 'caught up.' We call it the 'rapture' because the Latin translates the Greek word 'harpazó' as 'rapiemur.' From the Latin rapiemur we get the English term 'rapture' which refers to being caught up.


1 Thess. 4:17 ἔπειτα ἡμεῖς οἱ ζῶντες οἱ περιλειπόμενοι ἅμα σὺν αὐτοῖς ἁρπαγησόμεθα ἐν νεφέλαις εἰς ἀπάντησιν τοῦ Κυρίου εἰς ἀέρα· καὶ οὕτως πάντοτε σὺν Κυρίῳ ἐσόμεθα. [Nestle Greek New Testament 1904]

ἁρπαγησόμεθα - 'will be caught up.'


1 Thess. 4:17 deinde nos qui vivimus qui relinquimur simul rapiemur *** illis in nubibus obviam Domino in aera et sic semper c u m Domino erimus [Latin: Biblia Sacra Vulgata] [The censorship program won't allow the use of the word that is in asterisks.]

1 Thess. 4:17 Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord. [NASB]


That is the event known as the rapture. Darby didn't invent it. Darby didn't write 1 Thess. 4:17. The apostle Paul did.

People may disagree on whether the rapture or catching up of the church will be before or after the Tribulation, but to say that there will be no rapture at all when the Bible clearly states that there will be, is simply not justified.
Correct the Bible clearly states that there will be, but not in terms of the heresy of John Darby's millennialism.

Scripture clearly teaches:
Matthew 24:40-41 shows how believers and unbelievers will be separated on the last day.

1 Corinthians 15:51-52 explains that there will be Christians on earth when Jesus returns visibly on the last day. Those Christians will not experience death, but their bodies—like the resurrected bodies of Christians—will also be glorified.

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 describes the Lord returning visibly to this world on the last day,
raising the bodies of Christians and reuniting them with their souls, and gathering to himself
Christians who are alive on the earth.

Titus 2:13 and Amos 5:18 do not describe two separate events; they describe how different the last day will be for believers and unbelievers.

Revelation 21:3-4 For believers, the last day will usher in an eternity of joy and glory that they will experience with their glorified bodies and souls .

Matthew 22:13 and Matthew 25:41 For unbelievers, the last day will be a banishment, with both body and soul, to the darkness of hell .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2016, 09:16 AM
 
20,292 posts, read 15,633,754 times
Reputation: 7403
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Correct the Bible clearly states that there will be, but not in terms of the heresy of John Darby's millennialism.

Scripture clearly teaches:
Matthew 24:40-41 shows how believers and unbelievers will be separated on the last day.

1 Corinthians 15:51-52 explains that there will be Christians on earth when Jesus returns visibly on the last day. Those Christians will not experience death, but their bodies—like the resurrected bodies of Christians—will also be glorified.

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 describes the Lord returning visibly to this world on the last day,
raising the bodies of Christians and reuniting them with their souls, and gathering to himself
Christians who are alive on the earth.

Titus 2:13 and Amos 5:18 do not describe two separate events; they describe how different the last day will be for believers and unbelievers.

Revelation 21:3-4 For believers, the last day will usher in an eternity of joy and glory that they will experience with their glorified bodies and souls .

Matthew 22:13 and Matthew 25:41 For unbelievers, the last day will be a banishment, with both body and soul, to the darkness of hell .

You know full well that I don't hold to your amillennialist interpretation. We've been over this before, and you even suggested that I might be going to hell because I believe that there will be a literal thousand year kingdom on the earth when Jesus returns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2016, 09:38 AM
 
Location: GOVERNMENT of TRAITORS & NAZIS
20,551 posts, read 22,709,293 times
Reputation: 7625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You know full well that I don't hold to your amillennialist interpretation. We've been over this before, and you even suggested that I might be going to hell because I believe that there will be a literal thousand year kingdom on the earth when Jesus returns.
At the very least greatly disappointed, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2016, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
8,574 posts, read 5,111,549 times
Reputation: 3914
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Where is your proof for this fact? If it is true, why does the Pew study show practically zero decline in evangelical Christians in the last 7 years?
Not that facts have ever dissuaded you from your prejudice, but if you go back and read the posts I made, there are at least four separate sources reporting the decline of Christianity including fundamentalists. Some evangelical pastors are even praising the "culling" of the church to "true" believers. They just ignore the fact that those who remain are graying.

Your and finn's idea of "discipleship" boils down to believing stuff in order to get stuff. That is now the message of evangelicals.

Last year Jonathan Merritt wrote the following:

Mohler and Moore’s own Southern Baptist Convention (SBC), declined as a share of the population by 1.5 percent between 2007 and 2014—even more quickly than evangelicalism at large. The evangelical Assemblies of God, Church of Christ, Presbyterian Church in America, and Church of God failed to grow at all. The only evangelical body among the top 15 largest Protestant denominations that saw any growth was the Seventh-Day Adventists, and they only experienced a 0.1 percent increase as a share of the population.

During this same time period, among mainline denominations, the United Methodist Church declined by 1.5 percent, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America declined by 0.6 percent, the Presbyterian Church (USA) declined by 0.2 percent, the United Church of Christ declined by only 0.1 percent, and the American Baptist Churches USA actually grew by 0.3 percent.
- See more at: http://jonathanmerritt.religionnews.....2haJ995w.dpuf

You and Finn live in a world of delusion and interpret Scripture in a delusional fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2016, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
8,574 posts, read 5,111,549 times
Reputation: 3914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He makes it up as he goes. Ironically the biggest declines are in the liberal denominations which have turned the house of God into social clubs and gay-wedding banquets. The other reason for declines is in the liberal education system which is doing a good job at turning our youth into atheists while obtaining higher education.
Blame anything and everything to keep from looking into your own heart of darkness. My last post shows that evangelicals are still declining in the top 15 evangelical Protestant denominations.

If you haven't put me on ignore you should. Because I will always force you to look at yourself and your own motivations---something that Jesus demanded of everyone who wanted to follow Him. But like the rich young ruler, that choice is more than you can bear, so you choose to ignore Jesus' demand for self-evaluation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top