U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-06-2016, 05:52 PM
 
9,169 posts, read 2,790,525 times
Reputation: 658

Advertisements

Which is really sad if you think about it, that you have to convert back to what it was like nearly 2000 years ago. Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-06-2016, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
8,610 posts, read 5,127,751 times
Reputation: 3917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, it is not selfish. Its rich that you'd insult people and then accuse them of selfishness if they point it out.

It is not a butt-kissing contest, it is about speaking the truth. Yes, many are offended by it and lash out, like you see on this forum, but many also listen and come to the light.
How well are you fulfilling The Great Commission when you promote an ugly, hateful God no one wants to even hear about? It's not people brought up in some sort of faith that are the biggest problem for you---it's those who have no upbringing in Christianity. They literally are disgusted with what you preach.

Congratulations on another great job of obeying the one you claim to follow, which certainly isn't Jesus, because when a modern evangelical (not any comparison to those 40+ years ago) finds a convert they make him twice the son of hell that they are (Matt. 23:15)

Quote:
A mere three percent of non-Christian Americans under 30 have a positive impression of evangelical Christianity, according to David Kinnaman, the Barna Group’s president. That’s down from 25 percent of baby boomers at a similar age.
Oh, that's right. You haven't any interest in winning people like that to Christ---you just wish them to knuckle under to the next elected "messiah" from the Republican Party
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2016, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,527 posts, read 31,926,753 times
Reputation: 9413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
How well are you fulfilling The Great Commission when you promote an ugly, hateful God no one wants to even hear about?
Just because you are disgusted, doesn't mean everyone else is.

Quote:
It's not people brought up in some sort of faith that are the biggest problem for you---it's those who have no upbringing in Christianity. They literally are disgusted with what you preach.
Again, just because you are disgusted, does not mean everyone else is.

Evangelicals, by definition, reach out to those who have no upbringing in Christianity. I still remember how you disrespected the brother from my church who was murdered while on mission to Africa. One can only wonder what installed such venom in your heart, but we can always pray that one day God will remove it from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2016, 07:05 PM
 
32,538 posts, read 29,377,870 times
Reputation: 32243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Just because you are disgusted by God
How about it Warden?

Are you "disgusted by God"? Because if you are.... you're doing a truly lousy job of conveying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2016, 07:11 PM
 
Location: East Coast
30,255 posts, read 20,007,605 times
Reputation: 2109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Just because you are disgusted, doesn't mean everyone else is.

Again, just because you are disgusted, does not mean everyone else is.

Evangelicals, by definition, reach out to those who have no upbringing in Christianity
.
Sadly in ignorance fulfilling the words of Jesus..... You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when you have succeeded, you make them twice as much a child of hell as you are.

If it was converting them to Christ and the Christ Life then Amen, but sadly it's to a belief system built upon the traditions and teachings of men, which are not founded on the thoughts and ways of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2016, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
8,610 posts, read 5,127,751 times
Reputation: 3917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Just because you are disgusted by God, doesn't mean everyone else is.

Again, just because you are disgusted, does not mean everyone else is.

Evangelicals, by definition, reach out to those who have no upbringing in Christianity.
You can define them any way you wish. It still isn't working. You may wish to consider yourself "right," but that doesn't result in being effective.

It's sort of like a story I heard about the great Italian preacher Savanarola (15th century). An RCC priest once took him through a fantastic pillared church in Italy, showing him wonderful internal paintings and expensive stained glass window, then said, "As you can see the Church is no longer like Peter and John of old. We no longer have to say 'Silver and gold have we none.'"

To which Savanarola replied, "Neither can you say 'Rise up and walk.'"

The power has left the evangelical world as it sank from its original calling to become probably the ugliest religion in America.

Just don't confuse it with Christ followers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2016, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
2,202 posts, read 1,322,978 times
Reputation: 1353
A element of Christianity has evolved by religion and it's internal direction much circumventing scripture. So what seems to be influencing the "image" of Christianity is the dislinked dogmas that have been manufactured by victims of conflicting religousity often counterfeiting real Christianity. In fairness the so-call intolerance regarding those who desire a gay agenda or gay marriage is unexceptable within Gods plan and to rally around that stand is ludicrous and is Gods law that we abide to not author. The "wanting" to give a "pass" on scriptural obedience ain't going to fly or cut the mustered . Christianity vs. Secular morals is a ratio a 1000:1 in favor of Christians. This is not to say Christians aren't sinners, are not lukewarm poor representatives are not hypocrits ( occasionally), but seculars are zero representatives are total hypocrits rewriting Godless philosophers not even raising their kids in Church and example. It's a huge part of a misfit, disfunctioal , morally complacancy and liberal religiously deficient portion of society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2016, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Pacific 🌉 °N, 🌄°W
10,085 posts, read 4,171,565 times
Reputation: 6371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
There never was a time when America was "moral." We had slavery, for Pete's sake.
Not only that the country was founded by evil "Puritans" that slaughtered Native American Indians and purposefully infected them with small pox to kill off as many as they could. Then they stole their land and the rest is one big embarrassing history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2016, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Miami, FL
58,527 posts, read 31,926,753 times
Reputation: 9413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
You can define them any way you wish. It still isn't working. You may wish to consider yourself "right," but that doesn't result in being effective.
It is very effective. Millions of people around the globe are coming to Christ and it is happening in places where it wasn't happening before. Evangelicals are being very effective in spreading the Gospel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2016, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
8,610 posts, read 5,127,751 times
Reputation: 3917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Just because you are disgusted, doesn't mean everyone else is.

Again, just because you are disgusted, does not mean everyone else is.

Evangelicals, by definition, reach out to those who have no upbringing in Christianity. I still remember how you disrespected the brother from my church who was murdered while on mission to Africa. One can only wonder what installed such venom in your heart, but we can always pray that one day God will remove it from there.
Quote:
A sizable portion of evangelicals have left the right, so to speak, in what the theologian Scot McKnight called “the biggest change in the evangelical movement,” nothing less than the emergence of “a new kind of Christian social conscience.” These new evangelicals focus on economic justice, environmental protection and immigration reform — not exactly Republican strong points. The religious right remains a potent political force, but where once there was the appearance of an evangelical movement that sang out in one voice, there is now a robust polyphony.
- See more at: http://www.redletterchristians.org/t....kFKWQrv6.dpuf
Quote:
Whether we want to accept it or not, evangelicalism as we’ve known it throughout the 20th century is falling apart at the seams in the face of a younger and more progressive generation of Christians.

Recent studies indicate an increase in the number of people who don’t consider themselves a part of an organized religion. The X and Y generations don’t seem to be rejecting Christ, they just seem to be rejecting the Church.
http://www.churchleaders.com/pastors...al-church.html
I'm disgusted with Pharisaism which is what evangelical christianity turned into during my lifetime. You are a modern example, pounding the Bible about sin, and having no good news to offer anyone.

But here's how we will know the truth, all of us. Heaven's reign on earth is like wheat growing with weeds in it, to be separated only at harvest time, when the wheat will be gathered into God's barn (Matt. 13:24-30). Or it is like unsifted wheat with chaff in it waiting fro a final separation of the two (Mat. 13:30). All earth's institutions have currently unidentifiable elements of Heaven's reign in them, but none of them, particularly evangelical christianity, can be equated with heaven's reign.

The choice is for God. In the meantime, my house will refuse to say anyone is excluded from heaven's reign, regardless of race, color, national origin, or sexual orientation. There was good news for me once upon a time. And now there is no time to waste talking about others' "sins." It's time for laborers to be in the harvest, sowing the five talents and the ten talents to make more for the Master.

You may do with your one as you see fit.

Incidentally you are a flat out liar about what I said concerning the member from your church. What I said was that he could have stayed at home and found plenty of people to reach out to. That was no disrespect--and it was frankly a wiser solution he could have taken for his own family. If you think it is a good idea to go over there, then guess what? It's your turn.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 04-06-2016 at 10:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top