U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-30-2016, 07:45 PM
 
37,496 posts, read 25,232,088 times
Reputation: 5854

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Life is the word of God.
And Jesus IS the Living Word of God.
Quote:
Eternal life is the word of God.
Eternal life is to know God and His Son Jesus.

John 17:3 (King James Version)
3And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.
Quote:
Those who use it know the Father and the Son because the truth is in them and God is in them.
Those who LOVE are "born of God" and KNOW God.

1 John 4:7 (King James Version)
7Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
Quote:

"From the believers heart shall flow rivers of living water."
You notice that it refers to the heart because that is where God has written His truth. You think this is some magical nonsense related to baptism in water but it has nothing to do with that. It is the inner change in the water of life surrounding our brain that happens when we act out of agape love and suppress our selfish carnal desires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2016, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
26,200 posts, read 14,096,059 times
Reputation: 10087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Life is the word of God. Without it is death.

Eternal life is the word of God. Those who use it possess it and believe in the Father and the Son. Those who use it know the Father and the Son because the truth is in them and God is in them.

"From the believers heart shall flow rivers of living water."
You are supposedly so stuck on the words of Jesus - yet He tells us what eternal life is - knowing the Father and His Son as He stated in John 17:3 - and you don't accept it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 09:11 PM
 
4,221 posts, read 1,963,766 times
Reputation: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You are supposedly so stuck on the words of Jesus - yet He tells us what eternal life is - knowing the Father and His Son as He stated in John 17:3 - and you don't accept it.
As it is written;" My sheep hear my voice, I know them and they follow me"

To hear His voice, to know Him one must follow.

"Whoever is of the truth hears my voice."


The sheep who follow do so by the truth ,the word of God. They become the truth by using it.

Let us not forget that John 17:2 says eternal life is given to those that are given to the son. And John 17 also says those the Father gives to the son , keep His word.

There it is again, THE WORD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 09:20 PM
 
4,221 posts, read 1,963,766 times
Reputation: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post

You think this is some magical nonsense related to baptism in water but it has nothing to do with that.
Baptism in water?

Didn't even cross my mind. Goes to show you have no idea what it actually means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 09:37 PM
 
37,496 posts, read 25,232,088 times
Reputation: 5854
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
And Jesus IS the Living Word of God. Eternal life is to know God and His Son Jesus.

John 17:3 (King James Version)
3And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. Those who LOVE are "born of God" and KNOW God.

1 John 4:7 (King James Version)
7Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.You notice that it refers to the heart because that is where God has written His truth. You think this is some magical nonsense related to baptism in water but it has nothing to do with that. It is the inner change in the water of life surrounding our brain that happens when we act out of agape love and suppress our selfish carnal desires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Baptism in water?
Didn't even cross my mind. Goes to show you have no idea what it actually means.
Most Christians believe that water baptism is the water referred to when Jesus said we must be born of water and the Spirit, but it is NOT. You know I have explained many times with extensive detail about what it actually is, so I know exactly what it means. You are the one who has no clue thinking it means parrot Christ's words and you will magically be given more of this living water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2016, 09:57 PM
 
4,221 posts, read 1,963,766 times
Reputation: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Most Christians believe that water baptism is the water referred to when Jesus said we must be born of water and the Spirit, but it is NOT. You know I have explained many times with extensive detail about what it actually is, so I know exactly what it means. You are the one who has no clue thinking it means parrot Christ's words and you will magically be given more of this living water.
The verse I quoted is not about being born of water and spirit. Differrent verse altogether.

When someone loves God with all their heart and soul that is when rivers of living water flow.

The problem is sinners don't have rivers of living water in their heart.

"Sinners won't be allowed in the assembly of the righteous."

Since you brought up the water and spirit let us not forget that spirit is the word of God as Jesus said and He said God is spirit. So God is His word which is spirit

"The words I spoke to you are spirit"

"God is spirit"


Jeremiah 17:13
13 O hope of Israel! O Lord! All who forsake you shall be put to shame; those who turn away from you shall be recorded in the underworld, for they have forsaken the fountain of living water, the Lord.

Since the Lord is living water and God is His word then living water is the word of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2016, 02:41 PM
 
20,298 posts, read 15,642,764 times
Reputation: 7408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Sins are judicially forgiven because they were judged at the cross when Jesus bore our sins in His own body and paid the penalty for them. Jesus' resurrection, among other things, demonstrated that God the Father had accepted Jesus' redemptive work on the cross in our behalf.

Isaiah 53 (Hebrew Scripture) plainly and clearly speaks of the servant of the Lord rendering Himself as a guilt offering, bearing the sins of many and interceding for the transgressors. In other words, paying the penalty for others. And Jesus applied Isaiah 53:12, and therefore all of Isaiah 53 to Himself, saying that in Him it must be fulfilled (Luke 22:37). The apostle Philip also applied Isaiah 53 to Jesus (Acts 8:26-35).



Jesus was referring to Himself as the Son of Man as a simple comparison of Matthew 17:22 with Matthew 26:45 proves.
Matthew 17:22 And while they were gathering together in Galilee, Jesus said to them, "The Son of Man is going to be delivered into the hands of men; 23] and they will kill Him, and He will be raised on the third day." And they were deeply grieved.

Matthew 26:45 Then He came to the disciples and said to them, "Are you still sleeping and resting? Behold, the hour is at hand and the Son of Man is being betrayed into the hands of sinners.
Only because Jesus died for our sins, in our place, as our substitute was eternal salvation made possible And for whoever believes in Him, a reality. And only because Jesus Himself was resurrected as the first fruits will anyone else also be resurrected.

The resurrection of the body is a physical resurrection in a glorified body of incorruption and immortality. Jesus' body did not undergo decay, but rose from the dead. The tomb was empty. No body was left behind in some kind of a 'spiritual' resurrection while the body remained in the tomb.

But from your posting history and your 'issues' (you have a messiah complex and believe yourself to be the son of man), it is fairly certain that you won't believe what I just posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Jesus was not referring to Himself. He was referring to the spirit of the son of man which is the word of God. The word of God was being handed over to sinners who would do away with prophecy but the son of man, the prophet of God, would rise from the death of sin via prophecy.

Jesus spoke in the third person because the son of man is more than one person as scripture states.

Obviously the servant of God is more than one person. The only way a person is redeemed by the servant of God is to become the servant of God. That is why Jesus said; "As the Father sent me so I send you."

"The soul who sins shall die", says the Lord

"When a wicked man turns from wickedness and does what is right and just he shall live."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
He was referring to Himself as can be plainly seen by comparing the two verses I provided. This is not difficult to understand.
I'll provide one further passage to drive home the point that Jesus referred to Himself with the title 'Son of Man.' That passage is Matthew 16:13-17 which records Jesus' question to His disciples concerning who people said that the Son of Man is. And when the disciples said that some people said the Son of Man was John the Baptist, and others said Elijah, while others said, Jeremiah, and yet others said one of the prophets, Jesus then asked, ''But who do you say that I am?'' In reply, Peter said to Jesus, ''You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.''

In other words some people thought that Jesus was John the Baptist, some thought that He was Elijah, some thought that He (Jesus) was Jeremiah, and others thought that He was one of the prophets. But when Jesus asked who they (the disciples to whom He was speaking) thought that He was, Peter said that He (Jesus, the Son of Man) was the Christ, the Son of the living God. And in reply to Peter, Jesus blessed him because this recognition of who Jesus was had come from the Father.
Matthew 16:13 Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, He was asking His disciples, "Who do people say that the Son of Man is?" 14] And they said, "Some say John the Baptist; and others, Elijah; but still others, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets." 15] He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" 16] Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." 17] And Jesus said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2016, 03:47 PM
 
Location: GOVERNMENT of TRAITORS & NAZIS
20,554 posts, read 22,721,792 times
Reputation: 7625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
I saw this in a thread and was appalled that someone actually believed this. It was based on Pauls misunderstanding and apostasy.

It reads;

1 Corinthians 15:13-17 - But if there is no resurrection of the dead, not even Christ has been raised; 14 and if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is vain, your faith also is vain. 15 Moreover we are even found to be false witnesses of God, because we testified against God that He raised Christ, whom He did not raise, if in fact the dead are not raised. 16 For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised; 17 and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins.

First off no one's sins are forgiven by the resurrection. Jesus never said it but those who misunderstand scripture believe it.

Jesus said those who accept His words keep them and continue in His word so as to know the truth which will set them free and that the son would truly make one free. So it is the word of God used by the servant of God, the son, that makes one free of sin. That is why Jesus said His followers are sent as He was sent. The son only frees those who become the servant of God who is the son. That is why Jesus said that His followers are One as He is One because they are equal as the son, the servant of God.

"If the son frees you, you shall truly be free."


"If you continue in my word you are truly my disciple then you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free."

"I have made your name known to those whom you gave me from the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word.

"I have given them the glory you gave me so they may be One as we are One, I in them, you in me that they may be brought to perfection as One."


Thoughts?

Paulie was INSPIRED, he would NOT have misunderstood any thing.
It was his INSPIRED OPINION of what god-in-the-tiny-box-of-insecurities told him to write..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2016, 07:13 PM
 
17,696 posts, read 8,870,974 times
Reputation: 1485
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It does not say sins are forgiven through the resurrection.

What the underlined portion of the verse says (in the OP) is that if Christ is not raised, we are still in our sins. There is nothing there regarding forgiveness of sins.

Why would be still in our sins? Because if Jesus was not raised from the dead as He prophesied, He would have sinned in that He lied... and if He sinned, there would be no resurrection since He would be subject to the same penalty as all of mankind. He would not have the power to forgive anyone's sins... He would not have the power to free anyone, and therefore we would still be in our sins.
Father, forgive them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2016, 10:42 PM
 
37,496 posts, read 25,232,088 times
Reputation: 5854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Father, forgive them.
Amen. Fortunately, He does, Jer. There are going to be a lot of surprised people, but not always in a good way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top