U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-01-2016, 07:30 AM
 
34,659 posts, read 8,934,164 times
Reputation: 4805

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Mark does have the resurrection of Christ from the dead.
He does, but he has only a claim that Jesus has risen and gone to Galilee. There is no resurrection story as in Matthew, Luke and John.

Quote:
False and unprovable.
True and demonstrable, as shown in a couple of threads, though I don't laim it as fact, because I don't accept the crucifixion and resurrection accounts as reliable.

Quote:
Easy to explain but impossible for you to verify.
Of course, but the explanation removes the "Problem".



Quote:
Whatever.
Giving up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-01-2016, 09:12 AM
 
9,169 posts, read 2,788,318 times
Reputation: 658
And again.....no man-made or man-deduced proof is needed for a believer, because like me, they have met Him and experienced His indwelling presence. I know He's alive, I've met Him, and He lives in me, walks in me, talks in me, prays in me, heals me, teaches me, comforts me, directs my path, uses me with others. There is no where that I am, that He is not. Therefore, also; church, is wherever I am, with one other person.

Tops the list of foolish thing to confound the wise, but that's the way it is and it's too wonderful for words. I once told a friend her pastor's conversation with me on the phone would never happen again, because I thought he had mental problems for asking me if Yeshua lived inside me. I said a resounding, NO, and got off the phone ASAP. How, I REASONED with my carnal mind, could another person be living inside ME?

Two weeks later, and 4 days after I cried out to G-d for help in my complete brokenness, I visited that pastor's church to placate my friend, where he asked me the same question he had asked, just two weeks before when I thought he was crazy.

To my surprise, I wanted to answer the same way, my mind said no, but my mouth said yes. It wasn't until about 2 weeks of bible reading later, I read that no man can say that Yeshua has come in the flesh (THE MAN'S FLESH) EXCEPT by the power of the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost knew what had happened to me even if I didn't, and He would not let me betray my Lord, even though my enemy, my carnal mind, wished it to be so. That was 31 years ago.

His Spirit is majestic, all powerful, full of beauty and righteousness, capable of astounding works among the hearts of men........and TOTALLY invisible to those not born into His Kingdom, for like wind you cannot tell where it came from or where it goes, He blows through the dust that men are, quickening whom He will. To Him be all the glory for evermore. Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2016, 03:26 PM
 
34,659 posts, read 8,934,164 times
Reputation: 4805
Yes...well, as I say, I doubt whether that would work on someone who was familiar with the arguments, but I could be wrong. Rather, I hear of those becoming familiar with the arguments and coming to conclude they cannot credit the resurrection story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2016, 03:41 PM
 
7,713 posts, read 3,421,418 times
Reputation: 1730
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
You've been corrected a hundred times jeffy - at least. Do you allow ANYTHING that isn't in the bible to sink into your cranium?

Atheists don't hate what they don't believe exists.

Do you hate leprechauns?

Atheists (and most believers) hate what fundamentalists do, and want to do, in the name of their particular god.

Your god is a cartoon character to me. A blustering, childish, narcissistic - but also murderously psychotic - Foghorn Leghorn.

But I take issue not with the cartoon - but with the mean-spirited, narrow-minded fundamentalists who worship it.
I can look beyond your words. Nope, I don't hate leprachauns and I don't feel a need to daily harrass leprechaun believers and run down their faith. You do. Why is that? What do you get out of mocking our faith? Absolutely nothing.

Even the fact that you have to come up with some many ugly terms to describe God demonstrates under the surface anger towards someone you claim is imaginary. Atheists hate our God which is the reason they spend so much time and energy attacking ONLY Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2016, 03:59 PM
Status: "Phlegmatic." (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
23,398 posts, read 12,098,827 times
Reputation: 10666
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I can look beyond your words. Nope, I don't hate leprachauns and I don't feel a need to daily harrass leprechaun believers and run down their faith. You do. Why is that? What do you get out of mocking our faith? Absolutely nothing.

Even the fact that you have to come up with some many ugly terms to describe God demonstrates under the surface anger towards someone you claim is imaginary. Atheists hate our God which is the reason they spend so much time and energy attacking ONLY Christians.
For the umpteenth time, jeffy, I'm not an atheist.

And for the umpteenth time, most of my family, friends and loved ones are Christians. But you would not recognize them as such because - except for one - they know evolution is true and have no problems with gay marriage.

I consider them to be real Christians. You, Viz, twin, jimmie et al are cardboard Christians. Your entire religion is between the cardboard covers of an old book from which you parrot ignorant, primitive thoughts from ignorant, primitive men sparing you from the problem of having to think at all.

Which is the root of fundamentalism's appeal for a certain sub-segment of society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2016, 10:02 PM
 
34,659 posts, read 8,934,164 times
Reputation: 4805
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I can look beyond your words. Nope, I don't hate leprachauns and I don't feel a need to daily harrass leprechaun believers and run down their faith. You do. Why is that? What do you get out of mocking our faith? Absolutely nothing.

Even the fact that you have to come up with some many ugly terms to describe God demonstrates under the surface anger towards someone you claim is imaginary. Atheists hate our God which is the reason they spend so much time and energy attacking ONLY Christians.
I'm surprised you ask.

"No, I don't believe that those who don't believe in leprechauns should be considered citizens or patriots..."

"The fool has said in his heart that there are no leprechauns."

"In leprechauns we trust"

Get the idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
For the umpteenth time, jeffy, I'm not an atheist.

And for the umpteenth time, most of my family, friends and loved ones are Christians. But you would not recognize them as such because - except for one - they know evolution is true and have no problems with gay marriage.

I consider them to be real Christians. You, Viz, twin, jimmie et al are cardboard Christians. Your entire religion is between the cardboard covers of an old book from which you parrot ignorant, primitive thoughts from ignorant, primitive men sparing you from the problem of having to think at all.

Which is the root of fundamentalism's appeal for a certain sub-segment of society.
Now, don't worry abut causing offence, mate, just say what you really feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2016, 04:48 AM
 
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
5,517 posts, read 2,599,362 times
Reputation: 2788
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Atheists hate our God which is the reason they spend so much time and energy attacking ONLY Christians.
But how can we hate something we don't believe exists? What we don't like is fundamentalism. I don't consider fundamentalists to be Christian. How can someone be a Christian yet shun the very principles that Christ taught? You know? Judge not, love your neighbor, turn the other cheek and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2016, 06:43 AM
 
34,659 posts, read 8,934,164 times
Reputation: 4805
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
But how can we hate something we don't believe exists? What we don't like is fundamentalism. I don't consider fundamentalists to be Christian. How can someone be a Christian yet shun the very principles that Christ taught? You know? Judge not, love your neighbor, turn the other cheek and so on.
As I recall, the principles that the Gospel Christ taught were venomous hatred for unbelievers. counting blinkered gullibility a virtue and relishing the idea that anyone who did not share this hate and gulliibility were already predestined for the fire.

Judge not is apparently for others, not for the one dong the judging. Your neighbour is anyone likely to be your ally against the common enemy (in the gospels it is the Samaritans against the Jews, but today it is the Jews against the atheists) and turning the other cheek seems to be replaced by slapping the other's cheek before he can slap yours and screaming persecution if he does.

Right...now on the subject of hypocrisy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2016, 07:03 AM
 
8,643 posts, read 11,898,858 times
Reputation: 3136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
What he's really talking about is the Passover and resurrection, not Easter, but good article anyway. A complete overnight transformation of me is what brought my family to see Him as real, also. Anyone can talk various beliefs about anything that have accrued over time, but only He can change you from the inside out, overnight. And all it takes is a simple HEARTFELT prayer. To Him be the glory....Peace
In other words, all it takes is a desire to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2016, 09:20 AM
 
9,169 posts, read 2,788,318 times
Reputation: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
In other words, all it takes is a desire to believe.

No, I wouldn't have called me a believer. I thought Yeshua was a man, a historical figure, nothing more UNTIL I said at the end of a prayer to G-d, "and Yeshua, IF you can do anything to help me, please do." He HEARD that prayer.....Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top