Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 12:29 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times

Advertisements

How Easter Killed My Faith in Atheism - Speakeasy - WSJ

Very good article about Easter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 08:16 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,043,563 times
What he's really talking about is the Passover and resurrection, not Easter, but good article anyway. A complete overnight transformation of me is what brought my family to see Him as real, also. Anyone can talk various beliefs about anything that have accrued over time, but only He can change you from the inside out, overnight. And all it takes is a simple HEARTFELT prayer. To Him be the glory....Peace

Old 03-31-2016, 02:43 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,018,190 times
People who are intellectually honest who seek the Lord will find Him .

Old 03-31-2016, 07:00 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Actually, very bad. So is Lane -Craig's argument for the 'evidence' for the resurrection. I do concede that historians and Biblical scholars (even skeptical ones) have tended to support this by universally assuming that the resurrection account is reliable.

I think that has to change, and the reason is twofold:

(1) that the resurrection accounts are so contradictory that they have to be individual inventions. And that is why Mark doesn't have one.
(2) even if the accounts (woven together ) were regarded as credible, the story guarantees that there was a plan to get Jesus off the cross alive and smuggle him out of the tomb on Saturday night.

I know that Mike 555 protests that this would contradict the disciples apparently believing that Jesus had resurrected, but that is easily enough explained.

P.s. As is often the case with those professing to have converted from some kind of Thinking atheism, Strobel doesn't actually seem to understand the atheist case as he talks of 'Faith in atheism'. There is nothing to have faith in, other than that the religious case does not add up. If he is convinced that it does he ought then to say that he was persuaded of the case for belief in the Bible, Jesus and God. Still, it's a minor point.

Happy chocolate bunny -fest.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:51 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
I agreed. We see atheists here over and over demand evidence. That's not seeking God. That's being defiant with your arms crossed and saying, "Ok God, convince me!" Miracles and supernatural events are out there happening every day. One only has to go seek it out to find out if something extraordinary is really going on here.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:25 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logica View Post
And yet Jesus didn't disparage or scold doubting Thomas, so why would you disparage an atheist who simply wants proof before believing?
Because Thomas still had a heart for God. Atheists don't. Their hatred of God is bubbling just below the surface.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:37 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Because Thomas still had a heart for God. Atheists don't. Their hatred of God is bubbling just below the surface.
You've been corrected a hundred times jeffy - at least. Do you allow ANYTHING that isn't in the bible to sink into your cranium?

Atheists don't hate what they don't believe exists.

Do you hate leprechauns?

Atheists (and most believers) hate what fundamentalists do, and want to do, in the name of their particular god.

Your god is a cartoon character to me. A blustering, childish, narcissistic - but also murderously psychotic - Foghorn Leghorn.

But I take issue not with the cartoon - but with the mean-spirited, narrow-minded fundamentalists who worship it.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:13 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
one word. "honest". It changes everything on both sides. We find something, that is true enough. But it doesn't have to be "the lord", meaning a christian type one. It just might be the one that does exist.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:18 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
there are becoming more and more that are not this. Soon there will be enough regular atheist to draw over the abused child that grows up and the ex-fundy that does understands that "fundy" is a personality type not a belief statement.

how about you guys police your fundyz and we will ours?

Old 03-31-2016, 01:25 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Actually, very bad. So is Lane -Craig's argument for the 'evidence' for the resurrection. I do concede that historians and Biblical scholars (even skeptical ones) have tended to support this by universally assuming that the resurrection account is reliable.

I think that has to change, and the reason is twofold:

(1) that the resurrection accounts are so contradictory that they have to be individual inventions. And that is why Mark doesn't have one.
Mark does have the resurrection of Christ from the dead.

Quote:
(2) even if the accounts (woven together ) were regarded as credible, the story guarantees that there was a plan to get Jesus off the cross alive and smuggle him out of the tomb on Saturday night.
False and unprovable.

Quote:
I know that Mike 555 protests that this would contradict the disciples apparently believing that Jesus had resurrected, but that is easily enough explained.
Easy to explain but impossible for you to verify.

Quote:
P.s. As is often the case with those professing to have converted from some kind of Thinking atheism, Strobel doesn't actually seem to understand the atheist case as he talks of 'Faith in atheism'. There is nothing to have faith in, other than that the religious case does not add up. If he is convinced that it does he ought then to say that he was persuaded of the case for belief in the Bible, Jesus and God. Still, it's a minor point.

Happy chocolate bunny -fest.
Whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity