U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-02-2016, 07:10 AM
 
Location: GOVERNMENT of TRAITORS & NAZIS
20,610 posts, read 22,789,263 times
Reputation: 7635

Advertisements

God will provide...just as I was sitting here on a Saturday morning wondering what to say about evangelicals, young earthers and other literalists, God takes me to a blog that was written on March 18, 2016 by Samantha Field.

Samantha says she grew up in a Christian fundamentalist cult, but escaped as a young adult. Now, she writes about being a bisexual woman and abuse survivor, exploring intersectional feminism and liberation theology.

Naturally, being of curious mind and soul, I knew God wanted me to read this piece. Afterwards, I was told that this is what the evangelical movement needed to hear--that I had no option than to share this with the many friends I have here.

I am sure that after reading the following preview, God will have you reading it as well.


The Five Fundamentals. Interestingly, what those are can vary a bit (see here and here), but they essentially are:

1. The nature of God is that of a Trinity; Jesus was born of a virgin and was fully God and fully man.
2. Salvation is by faith, not by works; it was achieved by Christ through the substitionary Atonement.
3. Scripture is divinely inspired by God and totally sufficient for Christian living.
4. Jesus was bodily resurrected from the dead and now reigns at the right hand of the Father.
5. There will be a literal second coming of Christ.

Historically speaking, docetism is the notion that Jesus was not really human, that he only appeared human but, in reality, that was just a pretense. That idea was roundly condemned by virtually everyone as heresy. However, I believe modern American Christianity has done something even more insidious then denying the embodied Incarnation of Christ: they’ve made the Bible only “appear” like a book.

It was not really written by men– it was written by God. Biblical docetists don’t have to pay attention to how these men had their own personalities, their own vendettas, their own ambitions, their own priorities, their own flaws and their own achievements. To be honest, biblical docetists don’t just ignore how Paul was quite a vociferous fellow frequently given to tantrums (I will never ever work with John Mark ever again!) and tirades (Cretans are all liars!); the fact that Paul had a temper with a tendency to see things in blacks and whites is irrelevant.



Continue reading here..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-02-2016, 09:14 AM
 
19,952 posts, read 13,005,644 times
Reputation: 1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
God will provide...just as I was sitting here on a Saturday morning wondering what to say about evangelicals, young earthers and other literalists, God takes me to a blog that was written on March 18, 2016 by Samantha Field.

Samantha says she grew up in a Christian fundamentalist cult, but escaped as a young adult. Now, she writes about being a bisexual woman and abuse survivor, exploring intersectional feminism and liberation theology.

Naturally, being of curious mind and soul, I knew God wanted me to read this piece. Afterwards, I was told that this is what the evangelical movement needed to hear--that I had no option than to share this with the many friends I have here.

I am sure that after reading the following preview, God will have you reading it as well.


The Five Fundamentals. Interestingly, what those are can vary a bit (see here and here), but they essentially are:

1. The nature of God is that of a Trinity; Jesus was born of a virgin and was fully God and fully man.
2. Salvation is by faith, not by works; it was achieved by Christ through the substitionary Atonement.
3. Scripture is divinely inspired by God and totally sufficient for Christian living.
4. Jesus was bodily resurrected from the dead and now reigns at the right hand of the Father.
5. There will be a literal second coming of Christ.

Historically speaking, docetism is the notion that Jesus was not really human, that he only appeared human but, in reality, that was just a pretense. That idea was roundly condemned by virtually everyone as heresy. However, I believe modern American Christianity has done something even more insidious then denying the embodied Incarnation of Christ: they’ve made the Bible only “appear” like a book.

It was not really written by men– it was written by God. Biblical docetists don’t have to pay attention to how these men had their own personalities, their own vendettas, their own ambitions, their own priorities, their own flaws and their own achievements. To be honest, biblical docetists don’t just ignore how Paul was quite a vociferous fellow frequently given to tantrums (I will never ever work with John Mark ever again!) and tirades (Cretans are all liars!); the fact that Paul had a temper with a tendency to see things in blacks and whites is irrelevant.



Continue reading here..
I'd be curious to see what the writer thinks of 2 Tim 3:16 or 2 Peter 1:21.

I've wondered...why do people feel such a need to discredit the inspired words of God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2016, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
15,576 posts, read 7,032,650 times
Reputation: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'd be curious to see what the writer thinks of 2 Tim 3:16 or 2 Peter 1:21.

I've wondered...why do people feel such a need to discredit the inspired words of God?
I'd be curious to see how plenary inspirationists explain 1 Cor 7:25 in which we have the Holy Spirir telling Paul to write that he has no commandment from God, but gives his opinion.

I've wondered...why do people feel a need to make the Bible into more than it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2016, 09:47 AM
 
Location: GOVERNMENT of TRAITORS & NAZIS
20,610 posts, read 22,789,263 times
Reputation: 7635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'd be curious to see what the writer thinks of 2 Tim 3:16 or 2 Peter 1:21.

I've wondered...why do people feel such a need to discredit the inspired words of God?
Paulie? I think we all now, but many refuse to accept the truth..someone said something about the narrow gate??

Strange, where you see discredit, I see inspiration and encouragement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2016, 10:51 AM
 
19,952 posts, read 13,005,644 times
Reputation: 1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I'd be curious to see how plenary inspirationists explain 1 Cor 7:25 in which we have the Holy Spirir telling Paul to write that he has no commandment from God, but gives his opinion.

I've wondered...why do people feel a need to make the Bible into more than it is?
Easy. We understand that 1 Cor 7:25 is the opinion of Paul--just like he says. Of course, even this was inspired. In the context, Paul makes a good point that it's ok, and perhaps even good for man to not marry in some situations. For Paul, it made sense to not marry. Honestly...just read the text. Take it in the context in which it was written.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2016, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Southern Oregon
15,576 posts, read 7,032,650 times
Reputation: 1607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Easy. We understand that 1 Cor 7:25 is the opinion of Paul--just like he says. Of course, even this was inspired. In the context, Paul makes a good point that it's ok, and perhaps even good for man to not marry in some situations. For Paul, it made sense to not marry. Honestly...just read the text. Take it in the context in which it was written.
Vizio, the POINT is that you have the Spirit DICTATING that there is no commandment bur giving an opinion.
Now why would God (as the Holy Spirit) say "no command, but do this?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2016, 11:04 AM
 
19,952 posts, read 13,005,644 times
Reputation: 1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Vizio, the POINT is that you have the Spirit DICTATING that there is no commandment bur giving an opinion.
Now why would God (as the Holy Spirit) say "no command, but do this?"
Why do you believe the Spirit was dictating it? The doctrine of Inspiration does not suggest that Paul went into a trance and just started writing. It means he was inspired and he wrote what God wanted him to write.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2016, 11:08 AM
 
17,844 posts, read 8,918,122 times
Reputation: 1497
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I've wondered...why do people feel a need to make the Bible into more than it is?
The concept of "passing out" their judgments come to mind.
It's the transference from inspiration to that of dictation.

In other words, it's our way, or no way at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2016, 11:17 AM
 
Location: GOVERNMENT of TRAITORS & NAZIS
20,610 posts, read 22,789,263 times
Reputation: 7635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Why do you believe the Spirit was dictating it? The doctrine of Inspiration does not suggest that Paul went into a trance and just started writing. It means he was inspired and he wrote what God wanted him to write.
What is the difference? In a trace like stupor, or hearing voices like stupor?

Either way the claim is Paul did not write his own words, yet he surely wrote very little that was reflected or mentioned in the words of Christ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2016, 11:19 AM
 
Location: GOVERNMENT of TRAITORS & NAZIS
20,610 posts, read 22,789,263 times
Reputation: 7635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Easy. We understand that 1 Cor 7:25 is the opinion of Paul--just like he says. Of course, even this was inspired. In the context, Paul makes a good point that it's ok, and perhaps even good for man to not marry in some situations. For Paul, it made sense to not marry. Honestly...just read the text. Take it in the context in which it was written.
If Paul was INSPIRED, how was he able to interject HIS opinion? Seems just a bit psychotic to say god inspired a personal opinion??

Didn't Jesus say the same about marriage? That it was better NOT to marry???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top