U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 04:47 AM

10,491 posts, read 4,133,234 times

Advertisements

can parents be angry and do things out of spite sometimes to prove a point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 07:53 AM

6,813 posts, read 3,131,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Do you know Mysticphd by any chance? You seen like someone he would be married to.
Though I will say I love carrot cake too. Especially cheese cake.

I enjoy MysticPHD.

I find Mystic to be smart, thoughtful, interesting, and forthright.

I do not know the wonderful woman MysticPHD is married to, however I am sure she is his match in every way, and stands as his equal.

mmmmm NY Cheescake. Nothing like it.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:56 AM

6,813 posts, read 3,131,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Only terrible parents teach their children spite. The very idea is a bit disturbing.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:13 PM

741 posts, read 271,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I don't see why it has to be out of spite. However, the point to prove better be a good one. I think the book of Job drives home a very important point. That God is not the person to blame when bad things happen to us. God is the one to look to so we can get out of a bad situation. That's what Job did.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:59 PM

123 posts, read 84,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Sort of. Nothing at all like Job's experience but it's been quite a difficult time for me and my fiancé when he had been trying to find a job here. For about 11 months; I can't keep track of all the times when things seemed so promising, but for some inexplicable reason nothing materialized. I know God is in control of all things and it was hard not to doubt God's goodness toward us and to trust that all things actually were working together for our good... when, time after time it seemed that God was purposefully snatching the promise of a job away from us. It was hard not to form images of God being some maniacal chess-master laughing over the misery of his pawns.

I think however, in spite all of this, it is important to keep the right perspective. What is it that we do deserve from God? Nothing at all but eternal judgment. He has every right and would be very just to keep us until the end of my finance's life from finding a job. He doesn't owe that to us. We actually deserve far worse. What God has done, however, because he is not only just he is also merciful, is to give us the gift of his Saviour. Instead of what we are experiencing in this world, this rather should be the focus of our entire lives--that he has given us Christ so that we are able to spend eternity in fellowship with him.

Personally it is my view that much of what believers suffer in this life is so that God can draw them away from this life so as to make them focus more on the next. My fiancé and I discussed this as opportunity after opportunity never materialized. If God were to give us a pleasant life and much of what we desire, would we continue to lean heavily upon him? Or would we be too caught up in the joys of this life, and slowly let that take over much of our thoughts and time? I seem to recall a verse perhaps from Proverbs or Ecclesiastes, something along the lines of "give me neither riches or poverty lest I become too full of life and forget God, or become too poor and be driven to sin in order to survive".

This is an involved topic and my incredibly long stretch of work days leaves my mind unable to do much justice to your topic. Some times though is real hard to trust God, especially when things are rough. It may be that God uses these trials as well to prove our faiths to ourselves. It is easy to praise God when things are going wonderful in life and you have no problems. But when the rubber meets the road, how is it that we will feel about him who is the cause for everything that transpires in our lives?
I like that, thank you. Makes sense for me, I wanted a woman to love one day and have. Now I am bitter towards women and will not be married. He does take away what we want and love most. I can't stand that about him. But whatever he does he calls right. I've prayed hundreds of times and nothing has changed, so this must be gods will. I should have shot for the stars and aimed for million dollar job, then I would at least have a little of my desires instead of 1.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:15 PM

123 posts, read 84,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Can't rep you CL, but I can AMEN you. You said it better than me. Peace

God so "loved" the world. If he was righteous we would be all in hell and judged. God is love, and is righteous. All the same thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity