U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 05:24 PM

20,604 posts, read 22,782,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
jimmie, jimmie? Are you there?
Shhhh.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4zWh_cfJis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 05:45 PM

8,671 posts, read 11,921,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Here is my solution--

When I read a passage, and want to be sure I get the TRUE meaning from God--I consider other passages that might relate--then I ask Him for wisdom and what He wants me to focus on and that answers any question I may have related to the reading..
0 attempts to answer.

You have made a small step but in the WRONG direction. If another Christian had asked you how you interpret a certain passage, then your answer might have applied to that. But you are starting with the assumption that the passage was divinely inspired. And, even though you admit don't understand what it means, you still assume that it was inspired.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:50 PM

8,671 posts, read 11,921,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
jimmiej - Don't waste your time... Nate is obviously OK with throwing darts at paper as z-man suggested.

Also - the fact that he read your post said there is no one with which to check results... that tells you who is NOT in his life.
What is not in his life is that he was probably never indoctrinated into the cult that you believe in. The fact that no one can even attempt to answer the original question is proof that there is zero basis to your faith. Your faith appears to be brainwashing, since it cannot be supported.

At least the Mormons will say that they will read a passage, pray over it, and get a "good feeling" to confirm that it is true and from their God. Christians don't even say that much, at least not in this thread.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:31 PM

15,240 posts, read 8,259,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
0 attempts to answer.

You have made a small step but in the WRONG direction. If another Christian had asked you how you interpret a certain passage, then your answer might have applied to that. But you are starting with the assumption that the passage was divinely inspired. And, even though you admit don't understand what it means, you still assume that it was inspired.
That's correct.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:35 PM

5,305 posts, read 1,692,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post

Awesome! Firing back

\m/ Don't bother asking for explanations \m/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqZc7ZQURMs

Old 04-14-2016, 10:56 PM

37,606 posts, read 25,300,228 times
Quote:
Here is my solution--
When I read a passage, and want to be sure I get the TRUE meaning from God--I consider other passages that might relate--then I ask Him for wisdom and what He wants me to focus on and that answers any question I may have related to the reading..
So, are you using your feelings or your beliefs about what God wants based on your understanding of dogma or is there some other indication that you are actually receiving the Spirit??? What are the characteristics of the Spirit that convince you it IS the Spirit????
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Yes, jimmirj, I read that and my question is how you know the solution is from God and not something else? By what standard do you measure?
Why is this question so hard for "conservatives to answer? Every time I ask one I get crickets or evasions.
Vizio? Vizio? Are you out there?
They do NOT TEST the Spirit they claim to follow against ANYTHING because they have no idea what the Spirit is supposed to be like. They only know what their dogma tells them they are supposed to believe, period.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:05 PM

6,958 posts, read 4,314,373 times
Quote:
The REAL reason that Christians believe they are inspired: They accept them.

They (Christians) are special and divine and chosen. Therefore, anything that they declare to be divine must be accepted as divine.

If their God appears to hate homosexuals and women and tattoos, then the book must be true. Because THEY hate the same people and things that their God hates. The word itself testifies to being divine.
Yes, but young children are raised, and converts are (sometimes) slowly convinced... some people read a book and then accept it's ideas because the issues were irrelevant to them originally. But yes, a lot of conservative pagans hated homosexuals, feminine liberation, and tattoos.

A lot of fiction testifies to being true, a lot of fictions includes internal prophecies, retroactive prophecies, etc as "evidences."

Look at these differences (of course a lot of Catholics and a big chunk of Jews understand that canon is always man-made): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Testament

But some people think that souls are worth lying to (including St. Eusebius, I think) or that some souls are worth keeping in the dark or worth be allowed to continue to make wrong choices and have wrong believes (Jesus about his lay-followers in the gospel story).

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 04-16-2016 at 11:43 PM..

Old 04-16-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
We are not robots, true.

But the REAL robots as seen in this thread are those Christians who are incapable of saying anything on their own. They have so conformed themselves to a book that all they say are passages from the book. There is no life in them and they are truly dead inside.
Even the book canon (most often) has a letter by Paul (who didn't have a New Testament either) explicitly stating that the spirit gives life but that the letter kills. And Paul often rails against his more conservative counterparts that are more violence and literal-interpretation prone, so when he says that all scripture is useful for studying, chastising, correcting, and educating... he probably doesn't mean that it is useful for memorizing without question and holding strongest faith in what ever version you happen to first get or shop-around for and agree with. ... When he says that with "scripture" you can become truly perfected for all good works, he doesn't mean that since he didn't have a New Testament he wasn't as perfect as Christians today that do, nor that Math and Science aren't part of "all good works".

If a god can protect only a certain Bible canon then it is a weak god, if God can protect a certain Bible canon, then God can and should protect all writings since they are all "inspired/Ultimately Created" by Him.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Here is my solution--

That's exactly what I did, and by a grace of pure love and perfection (the wisdom of research), I received the benevolent inspiration to chuck the thing out completely!*

*(just kidding, I still have two versions of it, along with idol scriptures from other religions such as the Book of Mormon, the Bhagavad Gita (Song of the "Adorable" Lord), and the Tao Te Ching (Classic of the Virtuous Way). I also have 3 electronic versions, I mean "translations," of the Quran ("Recitation") and some ebooks of the Tripitaka (the "3 baskets/canons" [among infinite teachings] of Buddhism).)

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 04-17-2016 at 12:00 AM..

Old 04-16-2016, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Says a lot doesn't it !

Amen ~
That is the best way jimmy, crossing referencing when we are studying and seeking wisdom from our God.
The Holy Spirit will lead in our seeking, revealing other scripture to give understanding what God is wanting us to know or do . That is the way and how He communicates to us through His word .

Many ppl get all messed up, confused by just reading and not seeking the leading of the Spirit through other scripture to get the jest of what the scripture is saying and they will ended up taking it way out of context . As we see this here all the time .
And then they come-up with off the wall strange teachings with using their own logic, reasoning and interpreting it on their own understanding rather then being led by the Spirit in what is being said . That is just how ppl get led and trapped into false teaching/doctrine by leaning on their own understanding . And then we get this attitude of the heart, "have you not made distinctions among yourselves, and become judges with evil motives?" (James 2:4)

James talks about asking God for wisdom and it will always come with the help of His Spirit, from and through His word that He communicates to us giving us the wisdom of His will and ways for our lives, amen !!

5 But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. 6 But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind. 7 For that man ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord, 8 being a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways. (James 1:5-8)

And the wisdom will always come to us....

"But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy." (James 3:17)

A big AMEN !!!
Whoa...

Spoiler
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity