U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-07-2016, 05:21 PM
 
8,557 posts, read 11,879,563 times
Reputation: 3111

Advertisements

How does a Bible believer do this?

How do you as a Bible believer determine that a particular verse was inspired by God?

How do you know which books were intended (by God) to be included in the Bible? How do you confirm that they were not altered from their original writing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-07-2016, 06:09 PM
 
37,508 posts, read 25,238,629 times
Reputation: 5857
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
How does a Bible believer do this?
How do you as a Bible believer determine that a particular verse was inspired by God?
How do you know which books were intended (by God) to be included in the Bible? How do you confirm that they were not altered from their original writing?
We do what Jesus instructed us to do - test the Spirit against the Spirit of agape love (Who IS God). That is the absolute standard of God's truth as revealed and demonstrated unambiguously by Jesus. Under the New Covenant, Jesus abides with us as the Comforter sent in His name to guide us to the truth God has "written in our hearts" in agape love. We do not need anyone to teach us. But we need to be sincere enough to look into our hearts in agape love, NOT overwrite what is there with the "precepts and doctrines of men" about what religion says we should find there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2016, 06:20 PM
 
6,230 posts, read 9,515,264 times
Reputation: 7520
Because they were. The end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2016, 06:25 PM
 
Location: minnesota
5,254 posts, read 1,677,642 times
Reputation: 1835
2 timothy 3:16


15and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2016, 06:52 PM
 
2,653 posts, read 1,383,058 times
Reputation: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
How does a Bible believer do this?

How do you as a Bible believer determine that a particular verse was inspired by God?

How do you know which books were intended (by God) to be included in the Bible? How do you confirm that they were not altered from their original writing?
Error correction techniques

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multid...ity-check_code

Assume that the goal is to transmit the four-digit message "1234", using a two-dimensional parity scheme. First the digits of the message are arranged in a rectangular pattern:

12
34
Parity digits are then calculated by summing each column and row separately:

123
347
46
The eight-digit sequence "12334746" is the message that is actually transmitted. If any single error occurs during transmission then this error can not only be detected but can also be corrected as well. Let us suppose that the received message contained an error in the first digit. The receiver rearranges the message into the grid:

923
347
46
The receiver can see that the first row and also the first column add up incorrectly. Using this knowledge and the assumption that only one error occurred, the receiver can correct the error. In order to handle two errors, a 4-dimensional scheme would be required, at the cost of more parity digits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2016, 06:53 PM
 
8,557 posts, read 11,879,563 times
Reputation: 3111
2 Tim 3:16 is a perfect example. How do you know that was inspired? How do you know that it was the last verse written in the Bible? It would have to have been the last verse in the Bible, if it were able to authorize all the other verses.

Just focus on that verse then. How does it have any authority?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2016, 06:59 PM
 
Location: minnesota
5,254 posts, read 1,677,642 times
Reputation: 1835
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
2 Tim 3:16 is a perfect example. How do you know that was inspired? How do you know that it was the last verse written in the Bible? It would have to have been the last verse in the Bible, if it were able to authorize all the other verses.

Just focus on that verse then. How does it have any authority?
I am not a theist anymore but I will try and answer that to the best of my knowledge.


The bible is the word of God so he would keep his communication accurate. God would not allow the bible to become corrupted. It wouldn't have to be the last verse necessarily. Any bible verse can be applied at anytime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2016, 07:06 PM
 
2,653 posts, read 1,383,058 times
Reputation: 304
God created us and we became corrupted. Anyway the errors themselves teach us a great deal. For example in Genesis it is clear that it originally said that microorganisms were created on the fourth day. This teaches us that the Ancients knew about microorganisms but that knowledge was at some point lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2016, 07:33 PM
 
2,541 posts, read 889,517 times
Reputation: 2330
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
2 timothy 3:16


15and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work
So many evangelical Christians use the above scripture to authenticate the New Testament. Not so. The NT had not been compiled at the time this scripture was penned. Indeed, very few people would have been in possession of Paul's letters, let alone the Gospel accounts. 2 Timothy 3:16 can only be referring to the OLD Testament or the Torah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2016, 07:43 PM
 
8,557 posts, read 11,879,563 times
Reputation: 3111
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I am not a theist anymore but I will try and answer that to the best of my knowledge.


The bible is the word of God so he would keep his communication accurate. God would not allow the bible to become corrupted. It wouldn't have to be the last verse necessarily. Any bible verse can be applied at anytime.
But that really didn't address my question. It still sounds like you are making assumptions. I know that Christians use this "logic" but it is really not logical in any way. Which I'm sure that you know. It doesn't even address my question because it's circular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top