Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 04:30 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Your claim is men wrote the bible. Except for your speculation about Hebrews. Your claim is, they were inspired by God. For the most part, the bible represents male fantasy and superstition.

Albeit there were not many educated people in ancient times. Reading and writing was and expensive endeavor, and most of the poor like Jesus did not read. They passed on the Tanakh in an oral tradition. Human error is bound to present itself.

Once in a while you get a glimpse of God, and the real greatness of Jesus in the Bible. Teeny tiny glimpse. I think the error of men is silencing the voice of women.
Why be Christian if you believe the book it is based on is false? Like not believing in the Resurrection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 04:55 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Yah..but he's just a man...so why would you believe him?
Because I can actually hear with my own ears and not rely on MEN to twist the story to fit cultural biases.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:58 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Why be Christian if you believe the book it is based on is false? Like not believing in the Resurrection.
I have never labeled my faith, janelle. I do not allow others to label my faith either. I have never asked if someone was Christian. I only go by what they write about themselves.

I do not live and die by the bible. I do however, get a tiny glimpse of the real greatness of God within the pages. Most of the stories are fable, superstition, and the way men understood their world in ancient times.

They were hardly inspired. They worked within their limited knowledge. I can appreciate their understanding, or lack of understanding, however that is no excuse for taking every thing written in the bible as the truth. There is less reason for me to follow their ideas. It was their truth, and yet there is the expectation I submit to sinners in the current age. The idea is silly.

The men in the bible were rather ignorant about women. Women were property. We stopped being property when my ancient grandmother became a free woman. We will never allow ourselves to be man's property again. We do not submit to the opinion of these flawed men who claim to know God.

I do not believe these men were inspired by God, and never have. Men who silence the voices of women, and claim to be Christian is an oxymoron.

God has no problem with any of this. We are old friends.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Although the Pope was only speaking informally, and specifically in reference
to the Church's administering of Sacraments, please understand that the Church
never was in the business of condemning souls forever. Only God can do that,
as Jesus said in Matthew 10:28.
For example, this is the fiercest penalty the Church can deliver:

Anathema remains a major excommunication which is to be promulgated with great solemnity. A formula for this ceremony was drawn up by Pope Zachary (741-52) in the chapter Debent duodecim sacerdotes, Cause xi, quest. iii. The Roman Pontifical reproduces it in the chapter Ordo excommunicandi et absolvendi, distinguishing three sorts of excommunication: minor excommunication, formerly incurred by a person holding communication with anyone under the ban of excommunication; major excommunication, pronounced by the Pope in reading a sentence; and anathema, or the penalty incurred by crimes of the gravest order, and solemnly promulgated by the Pope. In passing this sentence, the pontiff is vested in amice, stole, and a violet cope, wearing his mitre, and assisted by twelve priests clad in their surplices and holding lighted candles. He takes his seat in front of the altar or in some other suitable place, and pronounces the formula of anathema which ends with these words: "Wherefore in the name of God the All-powerful, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, of the Blessed Peter, Prince of the Apostles, and of all the Saints, in virtue of the power which has been given us of binding and loosing in Heaven and on earth, we deprive N—himself and all his accomplices and all his abettors of the Communion of the Body and Blood of Our Lord, we separate him from the society of all Christians, we exclude him from the bosom of our Holy Mother the Church in Heaven and on earth, we declare him excommunicated and anathematized and we judge him condemned to eternal fire with Satan and his angels and all the reprobate, so long as he will not burst the fetters of the demon, do penance and satisfy the Church; we deliver him to Satan to mortify his body, that his soul may be saved on the day of judgment." Whereupon all the assistants respond: "Fiat, fiat, fiat." The pontiff and the twelve priests then cast to the ground the lighted candles they have been carrying, and notice is sent in writing to the priests and neighboring bishops of the name of the one who has been excommunicated and the cause of his excommunication, in order that they may have no communication with him. Although he is delivered to Satan and his angels, he can still, and is even bound to repent. The Pontifical gives the form for absolving him and reconciling him with the Church. The promulgation of the anathema with such solemnity is well calculated to strike terror to the criminal and bring him to a state of repentance, especially if the Church adds to it the ceremony of the Maranatha.

See 1 Corinthians 5:5, 6:22
And? Your point? Does this have something to do with being a Pope Francis fangirl? The man has potential and shows great promise. I am pleased.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:17 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
I have never labeled my faith, janelle. I do not allow others to label my faith either. I have never asked if someone was Christian. I only go by what they write about themselves.

I do not live and die by the bible. I do however, get a tiny glimpse of the real greatness of God within the pages. Most of the stories are fable, superstition, and the way men understood their world in ancient times.

They were hardly inspired. They worked within their limited knowledge. I can appreciate their understanding, or lack of understanding, however that is no excuse for taking every thing written in the bible as the truth. There is less reason for me to follow their ideas. It was their truth, and yet there is the expectation I submit to sinners in the current age. The idea is silly.

The men in the bible were rather ignorant about women. Women were property. We stopped being property when my ancient grandmother became a free woman. We will never allow ourselves to be man's property again. We do not submit to the opinion of these flawed men who claim to know God.

I do not believe these men were inspired by God, and never have. Men who silence the voices of women, and claim to be Christian is an oxymoron.

God has no problem with any of this. We are old friends.
What did God tell you about marriage? Does it differ with what the Pope says?

Old 04-08-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What did God tell you about marriage? Does it differ with what the Pope says?
God has no issue with my beliefs about marriage.

I cannot speak to what God believes about the Pope, or about you for that matter. You and the Pope are not part of that relationship.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
God has no issue with my beliefs about marriage.

I cannot speak to what God believes about the Pope, or about you for that matter. You and the Pope are not part of that relationship.
I'm certain your beliefs about marriage don't jive with the Pope's. But you're a fan of his, right? Reckon God agrees with both of you?

Old 04-08-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I'm certain your beliefs about marriage don't jive with the Pope's. But you're a fan of his, right? Reckon God agrees with both of you?
I have no knowledge of God, and the Pope. I do not place myself in that relationship. It is not my place.

I have stated the Pope, and I do not agree about many things. It is of little consequence. I am still a fan.

Does God agree with both of us? I never think about it.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
I have no knowledge of God, and the Pope. I do not place myself in that relationship. It is not my place.

I have stated the Pope, and I do not agree about many things. It is of little consequence. I am still a fan.

Does God agree with both of us? I never think about it.
It seems ironic that you would state your fandom of the Pope in a thread where he states Biblical marriage is one man/one woman. I believe your view of marriage disagrees with that. I wonder what the Pope thinks about Paul's letters.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:48 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
I am still a fan.
He's stated his favorite movie is "Babette's Feast". Is that a cool Pope or is that a cool Pope?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity