U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 07:28 AM

20,551 posts, read 22,709,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
There's more to Christianity than charity. See 2 Tim. 2:15, Mark 14:7, etc.
Seriously? What more could there be? Do tell and ORIGINAL words are requested..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 07:29 AM

20,551 posts, read 22,709,293 times
Quote:
No so fast.

Luke 21

21 And He looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the treasury, 2 and He saw also a certain poor widow putting in two mites. 3 So He said, “Truly I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all; 4 for all these out of their abundance have put in offerings for God, but she out of her poverty put in all the livelihood that she had.

It is my opinion that if God wants the OP to send his kids to a private school, He will bless them with enough money to do so. The local church performs many good deeds for the community. The members must remain faithful for that to continue.
Then riddle me this--How much MONEY did Christ take and when did HE pass a plate?

Old 04-09-2016, 07:47 AM

15,134 posts, read 8,222,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Then riddle me this--How much MONEY did Christ take and when did HE pass a plate?
It appears from the scripture that money was collected as they entered the synagogue. You are aware, I'm sure, that Jesus' ministry had a treasury.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
See post #18.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:52 AM

8,539 posts, read 11,869,117 times
Quote:
JIMMIE, I ask the same question to you.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:59 AM

2,531 posts, read 1,941,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
My wife and I tithe to our church, as we believe that failing to do so would be robbing God. Our kids attend a public elementary school, but we want to send them to a Christian middle school and a Christian high school -- the latter of which is operated by our church.

My question is, if we used the money that we put in the collection plate to instead pay the tuition, would that be robbing God by denying Him our tithe? Or would it "count" if the money goes to a Christian entity (namely, the schools), even though they are not churches? And would it matter any that the high school is a branch of our church?

We are adamant that we do not want to rob God, so if redirecting our tithe would have that effect, we will have to find some other way to pay for the Christian schools. But I have to admit, it would make our budgeting a whole lot easier if we did use the tithe to pay for the schools.

What are your thoughts? Please and thank you.
The Tithe was given to the Jews only and more over the Tithe had to do with food and drink as the Tithe not money. Read DEUT 14:22-29. And Malachi says to the Jews only to bring the Tithe into the Storehouse not the money/offerings. Today we pay taxes to feed the poor which is what the Tithe was for. Malachi says to bring Tithe into the Storehouse not the offerings. Read it closely again.

Even Jesus mentioned things that grow not money as the Tithe. Tithe was for a Storehouse and money/offerings was for a Treasury. Why do you want to be under the law when the law was not given to the Gentles.

Give what you can but not according to some Tithe formula.
2COR 9:7
"Every man according as he purposes in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loves a cheerful giver."

Last edited by garya123; 04-09-2016 at 09:28 AM..

Old 04-09-2016, 09:03 AM

19,952 posts, read 12,963,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
My wife and I tithe to our church, as we believe that failing to do so would be robbing God. Our kids attend a public elementary school, but we want to send them to a Christian middle school and a Christian high school -- the latter of which is operated by our church.

My question is, if we used the money that we put in the collection plate to instead pay the tuition, would that be robbing God by denying Him our tithe? Or would it "count" if the money goes to a Christian entity (namely, the schools), even though they are not churches? And would it matter any that the high school is a branch of our church?

We are adamant that we do not want to rob God, so if redirecting our tithe would have that effect, we will have to find some other way to pay for the Christian schools. But I have to admit, it would make our budgeting a whole lot easier if we did use the tithe to pay for the schools.

What are your thoughts? Please and thank you.
My thoughts are that Christians are nowhere commanded to tithe. If you want to tithe, do it. If not, don't. Give what you can joyfully.

Having said that, when a person tithed in the OT, they brought it to the priest -- they didn't take 2% to him, then 8% somewhere else. Don't call it a tithe if you're dividing it up. Just call it what it is.

But honestly...if you can't afford to give 10% and pay the tuition, then don't. You know your finances, and you know if you're robbing God. On the other hand, if you believe you can give 20% and that God wants you to, then do it.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:06 AM

19,952 posts, read 12,963,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
In other words, paying a significant portion of your income to maintain a social club, and to attract new members with irrational fear. I have already tried that. It's a form of hell on earth. And that is not honoring to God in any way.

The least I can do for myself is avoid people like that. Those who are living in darkness. And I know that God has honored that decision.
Good grief. Does it ever stop with you guys? Why not just live and let live? You're on the Christianity forum! And all you're doing is attacking. Seriously!

Old 04-09-2016, 09:30 AM

8,539 posts, read 11,869,117 times
Quote:
See post #18.
No. All you did was mention the Bible and Christianity and church.

What is any of that about? Use your own words without referring to Biblical or religious terms. Say it as if the person you were talking to would never have access to a Bible to look up what you were saying. Would never have access to Christianity.

So far it sounds like Zero.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
JIMMIE, I ask the same question to you.
See post #18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity