U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-10-2016, 06:07 PM
 
9,169 posts, read 2,786,119 times
Reputation: 658

Advertisements

Oh, I don't know.....run the good race, to he that overcometh I will give a crown of life, the messages to the 7 churches, the talents parable......somewhere along the line. All good servants desire to please their Master. Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2016, 06:45 PM
 
Location: GOVERNMENT of TRAITORS & NAZIS
20,595 posts, read 22,750,207 times
Reputation: 7630
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Not that I know of. Where is that happening?
Joel Osteen, TD JAKES, Ken Copeland, Marilyn Hickey just to name a few...Creflo Dollar, just to scratch the surface..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2016, 07:02 PM
Status: "Build the damn wall!" (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: The Haunted Mansion
15,202 posts, read 8,243,744 times
Reputation: 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Joel Osteen, TD JAKES, Ken Copeland, Marilyn Hickey just to name a few...Creflo Dollar, just to scratch the surface..
Joel Osteen does not take a salary from his church. I don't know about the others, but I bet much of their salary comes from something other than their church. Most of these are televangelists, not much like the local church on the corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2016, 07:25 PM
 
Location: GOVERNMENT of TRAITORS & NAZIS
20,595 posts, read 22,750,207 times
Reputation: 7630
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Joel Osteen does not take a salary from his church. I don't know about the others, but I bet much of their salary comes from something other than their church. Most of these are televangelists, not much like the local church on the corner.
Joel makes money from his books, which he could NOT do if it wasn't for his church--ANYONE know where the "tithes" from Joel's church goes? Bet he doesn't file a disclosure form of any kind?

What difference does it make? they are evangelists?

My one and only MEGA church (5,000+ members) had 6-10 pastors--all drawing close to a six figure salary which then was 2-3 TIMES the average salary of 50% of the members and 5-6 times the salary of 15-20% of other members.

But, I guess gittb really needs a MERCEDES AMG or BMW M6 to get around huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2016, 09:03 AM
 
19,952 posts, read 12,984,198 times
Reputation: 1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Joel Osteen, TD JAKES, Ken Copeland, Marilyn Hickey just to name a few...Creflo Dollar, just to scratch the surface..
You know full well that most of us don't consider those guys to be teaching what historical, orthodox Christianity has taught. Many of us don't even consider them to be Christians. Yet, you bring them up when you want to attack Christianity?

What exactly do these charlatans have in common with the guy living in a small town in poverty and preaching to a small congregation? Or the guy that faithfully ministers to a small congregation in the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2016, 10:12 AM
Status: "Build the damn wall!" (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: The Haunted Mansion
15,202 posts, read 8,243,744 times
Reputation: 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Joel makes money from his books, which he could NOT do if it wasn't for his church--ANYONE know where the "tithes" from Joel's church goes? Bet he doesn't file a disclosure form of any kind?

What difference does it make? they are evangelists?
I would be willing to bet Lakewood Church spends 10's of millions on charity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
My one and only MEGA church (5,000+ members) had 6-10 pastors--all drawing close to a six figure salary which then was 2-3 TIMES the average salary of 50% of the members and 5-6 times the salary of 15-20% of other members.

But, I guess gittb really needs a MERCEDES AMG or BMW M6 to get around huh?
My MEGA church (6,000 members) pays most of our 6-10 pastors ~$60,000 per year. Only our senior pastor makes six figures. He drives a Mercury. We spend ~$2 million/year on charity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2016, 10:17 AM
 
19,952 posts, read 12,984,198 times
Reputation: 1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I would be willing to bet Lakewood Church spends 10's of millions on charity.

Personally, I think that's naive.
Quote:

My MEGA church (6,000 members) pays most of our 6-10 pastors ~$60,000 per year. Only our senior pastor makes six figures. He drives a Mercury. We spend ~$2 million/year on charity.
Good for your church. I sincerely hope it's a solid, Bible-teaching church. Such churches do exist. Unfortunately, Lakewood is not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2016, 12:45 PM
Status: "Build the damn wall!" (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: The Haunted Mansion
15,202 posts, read 8,243,744 times
Reputation: 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Personally, I think that's naive.


Good for your church. I sincerely hope it's a solid, Bible-teaching church. Such churches do exist. Unfortunately, Lakewood is not one of them.
I agree with you about Lakewood. My wife & I have visited there twice, on weekends when we take in a Houston sporting event. They are very involved in the Houston community, doing charitable work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2016, 09:31 PM
 
1,419 posts, read 393,104 times
Reputation: 783
Tithing existed 2,000 years ago in Israel for the specific purpose of running the government. The Levites were the priestly class and could not own land, but they in effect were the government. The Levites needed food so the other 11 tribes each contributed 10% of their FOOD to the priests so they could survive.

We are under free will giving today...........give out of what you have joyfully and expect nothing in return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2016, 05:34 AM
 
Location: GOVERNMENT of TRAITORS & NAZIS
20,595 posts, read 22,750,207 times
Reputation: 7630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Tithing existed 2,000 years ago in Israel for the specific purpose of running the government. The Levites were the priestly class and could not own land, but they in effect were the government. The Levites needed food so the other 11 tribes each contributed 10% of their FOOD to the priests so they could survive.

We are under free will giving today...........give out of what you have joyfully and expect nothing in return.
Today we cal it TAXES..even Jesus paid TAXES..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top