U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 09:20 PM

8,559 posts, read 11,882,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I don't trust liberals or atheists. Both groups are...I better not say.
Just like you are doing now, Christians have attempted to steal every good thing they could find for their own selfish purposes. You know that's true of their music and entertainment. It's also true of their religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 09:23 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,346,221 times
Quote:
Parroting back what someone else said aside.....Does that include liberal/atheist firefighters?

If so you should check the batteries in your smoke alarms and and have a really good garden hose. Rotsa ruck.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:04 PM

23,318 posts, read 12,073,882 times
From about 1980 on, I voted a Conservative ticket here in the Great White North. Which puts me a smidge to the left of Ralph Nader.

That's nearly not a joke.

In Canada, a Conservative - at least my brand - was a fiscal conservative and a social liberal. Note the lack of capital letters. We're a bit squishy. We don't mind paying more taxes than anyone in North America because even our harder-core, large C Conservatives want every Canadian to have equal access to good health care, a roof over their heads, a full belly and a good, free education.

And those of us who have, don't mind paying a little extra for those who haven't.

Is there abuse?

Duh! Of course.

But most don't. Most people are good and hard-working and have a lot of self-respect. They want to succeed. And they want their children to exceed their own success.

And most do just that, if given a chance in a land of opportunity.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:20 AM

20,570 posts, read 22,733,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
All I know is that I don't trust conservatives or Christians. To say that they are compassionate is like comparing...I won't even say it. It's not worth it.
Quote:
I trust people who have a JOB to do will do what they are hired to do.

I do not trust ANYONE to teach another (especially children) about "religion" or gittb. Spiritual matters relating to those under 18 must be left to the home..

Old 04-13-2016, 05:14 PM

15,549 posts, read 7,004,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I would agree. My concern with that though, is how one decides what is and isn't inspired? Many liberal theologians use that mindset to then teach whatever seems good, or right, and Scripture has little to no authority over them or their faith.

Good enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post

As far as deciding what is appropriate, I absolutely trist that the Bible was correct in saying that Jesus promised the Holy Spirit to be with us forever, and that the characteristics of the Spirit by which we can judge that the leading we discern actually IS of the Spirit were well delineated by Jesus and Paul. Do you believew the Bible about that?

Did I miss your reply?

Old 04-13-2016, 06:04 PM

37,508 posts, read 25,243,901 times
Quote:
Theologically, it's easiest to define it, I believe in contrast with "liberal". Liberal theology is the idea that we can interpret the Scriptures according to our situation -- or that it's a "living document", meaning it can have a different meaning today than it did 2000 years ago.
Conservative theology, on the other hand, strives to ask what did the author mean by it? It does not attempt to change the meaning according to the time, place, or people involved.
Wrong. The problematic conservative interpretation is the one that elevates the Bible as the 100% word of God, an absurd idea given human fallibility and proclivities. Once you eliminate that preposterous idea, things become subject to reason.
Quote:
I would agree. My concern with that though, is how one decides what is and isn't inspired? Many liberal theologians use that mindset to then teach whatever seems good, or right, and Scripture has little to no authority over them or their faith.
You keep asking that question pretending it has not been answered multiple times. You want to keep pretending that there is some capriciousness and ambiguous subjectivity subject to personal bias or agendas, etc. There is NOT! 1 Cor 13, Galatians 5 and the Sermon on the Mount brook no ambiguity or subjective interpretation whatsoever. Either something is compatible and consistent with those characteristics of the Spirit or it is NOT. Everything incompatible or inconsistent with the Spirit as described there can NOT be from God or Jesus. It has to be the interpretation and corruption of men. Now, what is unclear to you, Vizio, about this clear and unambiguous explanation of how we use the Spirit to know "what is and isn't inspired" by the Spirit

Old 04-18-2016, 07:18 AM

782 posts, read 296,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Are you as "conservative" as you believe you are?

Are you the complete opposite of conservative?

Are you honest enough with yourself to find out?
The question is irrelevant.

It's irrelevant because the word no longer has political meaning. In America today there is no longer a traditional definition of conservative or liberal.

Conservative used to mean small government; hands off business and the private individual.
Liberal used to mean support of the worker; labor union support, public financial support for the aged and infirm, equal rights for all under the law.

Today neither definition is true. Both sides of the fence support BIG government, massive spending, militarism on a grandiose scale and domestic police state security measures. The terms liberal & conservative have been blurred and muddied.

"Now itís just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president. And the same thing applies to governors, and U.S. senators and congress members."
- Former President Jimmy Carter

Today the Democrats (former guardians of the liberal political spectrum) have subverted the voter. Clinton has stolen rightful votes cast for her opponent. The Republican party establishment (former guardians of conservatism) is working very hard to circumvent the votes cast for Trump in order to give them to a candidate which did NOT have popular consensus.* BOTH Democrats and Republicans are working in several states to deny the vote to black and blue voters. Since the days of Pres. Ronald Reagan, BOTH parties have been depleting the social security funds for political and military advantage (today they bemoan the lack of money in the fund, which is total hypocrisy and an absolute lie).

Bottom line boys and girls is that the Democrats and Republicans are two heads of the same snake. Traditional definitions no longer apply. We must find new definitions; definitions like treason, debauchery, liars and thieves of the public treasury and common good for personal political advantage.

We are living in a fascist police state in the days of the decline and corruption of one of the greatest republics the world has ever seen.

"We don't negotiate with terrorists. We make terror."
- President Francis Underwood NETFLIX House of Cards

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

* I am a Libertarian, by the way. I intend to cast a protest vote for the candidate of my party; Gary Johnson.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:30 AM

20,570 posts, read 22,733,728 times
Some people are irrelevant as well.

Better to be irreverent that irrelevant.

Fore the purpose of the post, it has ZERO to do with ANY political brainstorm some may be experiencing..

BUT, those who watched the video already understand this.

Libertarian? Isn't that WHITE CODE for TEA PARTY?

That's just me hollerin' the The Beatitudes.....
Attached Thumbnails
What does conservative mean to you?-libertarian_bird.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or