U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 11:45 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,131,342 times

Advertisements

Rev. Barber is defining "conservative" properly. That view hangs on to the central message of love in the gospels, of justice and mercy from the OT, and of helping our neighbor whenever they are down.

He quotes a "liberal" theologian he read in seminary as saying "Hope is produced when people engage in acts of liberation and justice on behalf of others."

He states that conversation should not be about being Republican or Democrat or black or white, but what is right or wrong. And he gives examples of that. He said that while he grew up cutting tobacco and feeding hogs, many people counted their whole lives in the textile industry. That industry received all sorts of public tax incentives to move into NC, but once they grew and made their fortunes, those companies in that industry moved everything away without a thought about those on whose backs they rose to their power and glory.

This guy understands liberation theology like few I've heard before, and his delivery is in that down home southern style (not shouting or impassioned) I grew up with. He points out how the NC legislature and governor reduced the earned income tax credit (in NC) in order to "save" money, but they cut taxes for the 23 wealthiest North Carolinians. Sixty-four thousand of the people who lost earned income credit---were military families living in the state.

Zman, this was a really good find. And you are preaching a gospel message by sharing what you find with others. Many will reject it, but that is what happens when the gospel is presented. Thank you.

For those without the patience to watch Rev. Barber's 53 minute message, here is a short seven minute message, delivered at another time and place, but on the same subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PAS...&nohtml5=False

Last edited by Wardendresden; 04-11-2016 at 12:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 02:08 AM

8,663 posts, read 11,917,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Government should tax less and spend less. Cutting spending to balance the budget should be the priority. Higher income earners should have an incentive to invest. Charity is the responsibility of the individual.
Not what Jesus would say at all.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:17 AM

20,600 posts, read 22,782,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Z-man is also.
As is Jesus..

Old 04-11-2016, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Rev. Barber is defining "conservative" properly. That view hangs on to the central message of love in the gospels, of justice and mercy from the OT, and of helping our neighbor whenever they are down.

He quotes a "liberal" theologian he read in seminary as saying "Hope is produced when people engage in acts of liberation and justice on behalf of others."

He states that conversation should not be about being Republican or Democrat or black or white, but what is right or wrong. And he gives examples of that. He said that while he grew up cutting tobacco and feeding hogs, many people counted their whole lives in the textile industry. That industry received all sorts of public tax incentives to move into NC, but once they grew and made their fortunes, those companies in that industry moved everything away without a thought about those on whose backs they rose to their power and glory.

This guy understands liberation theology like few I've heard before, and his delivery is in that down home southern style (not shouting or impassioned) I grew up with. He points out how the NC legislature and governor reduced the earned income tax credit (in NC) in order to "save" money, but they cut taxes for the 23 wealthiest North Carolinians. Sixty-four thousand of the people who lost earned income credit---were military families living in the state.

Zman, this was a really good find. And you are preaching a gospel message by sharing what you find with others. Many will reject it, but that is what happens when the gospel is presented. Thank you.

For those without the patience to watch Rev. Barber's 53 minute message, here is a short seven minute message, delivered at another time and place, but on the same subject.

This is the personality that comes to mind when I ask--ARE THERE ANY PROPHETS LEFT? Prophecy is NOT just the "prediction" of the future, it is as much being the voice in the wilderness.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:44 AM

10,530 posts, read 4,159,216 times
Quote:
Government should tax less and spend less. Cutting spending to balance the budget should be the priority. Higher income earners should have an incentive to invest. Charity is the responsibility of the individual.
yup. they should give us some type of choice in who gets are taxes. it isn't the purdy-est but with what we are working with, it seems to work best.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yup. they should give us some type of choice in who gets are taxes. it isn't the purdy-est but with what we are working with, it seems to work best.
For sure, I would love to see less of my taxes going t o hungry people, unemployed people, and greedy corporations. Also war, I want all my tax dollars back that have gone to support imperialism.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:55 AM

15,240 posts, read 8,257,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Not what Jesus would say at all.
We aren't a Christian nation. We are a melting pot of many religions, including "none".

Old 04-11-2016, 09:24 AM

15,571 posts, read 7,026,171 times
Quote:
We aren't a Christian nation. We are a melting pot of many religions, including "none".
True enough, but I think the point was tha you are a Christian person. It beats me tha a follower of Jesus should object to the government trying to make it possible for evetyone to live decently even if that government is subject to abuses. It sounds SO much like "What's yours is mine, what's mine is my own." Society is a cooperative effort in spite of Ayn Rand.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:35 AM

15,240 posts, read 8,257,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
True enough, but I think the point was tha you are a Christian person. It beats me tha a follower of Jesus should object to the government trying to make it possible for evetyone to live decently even if that government is subject to abuses. It sounds SO much like "What's yours is mine, what's mine is my own." Society is a cooperative effort in spite of Ayn Rand.
It is not the government's job to make sure everyone lives decently. It is the individual's job. It's the government's job to stay out of the way! Don't assume that conservatives aren't charitable-you know that isn't true. The liberals have developed a permanent underclass, which is a disservice to many.

A hand up? Yes. A hand out? No.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:32 AM

15,571 posts, read 7,026,171 times
It is not the liberals that developed a permanent underclass, they have just not been able to get rid of it entirely, but opportunity is present in many places where the selfishness of the powerful had kept it out. It will just take time.....and a Christian as well as socially consciouus attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or