U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 05:04 PM

19,237 posts, read 11,141,888 times

Advertisements

I do not say it- period if you can sense it- then I am in good shape!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 05:15 PM

21,265 posts, read 20,872,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I do not say it- period if you can sense it- then I am in good shape!
Nice!

Old 04-10-2016, 05:26 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,581,672 times
"progressive Christian"

Just another label among thousands.
Just more confusion.

Why such a need to put ourselves and others into categories, boxes?
Categories, labels... just breed judgement. And MORE judgement.

We're individuals, are we not?
And we are ever-changing, growing, maturing.

Live, Let Live.
Love.

We NEED differences and contrasts in order to learn. We NEED for people to be on all different roads and journeys... we learn from each other.
And when you try to cram yourself and others into boxes, it just seems that growth has a tendency to become stunted.
It just seems to cause more division, more strife, instead of lessening it.
Instead of helping each other up, it's more of a pushing away "you're not like me. go away. We are different."

just my .02.

take what you want and leave the rest, as the saying goes.

peace,
sparrow

Old 04-10-2016, 05:38 PM

10,491 posts, read 4,137,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
How many times have you started a conversation by saying “I’m Christian, but I’m not…crazy/fundamentalist/mean/convinced that there is a war on Christmas”? It is always really icky-feeling, isn’t it?

Yet, God loves us too much to leave us that way–I am a Progressive Christian because I believe that God is always pushing me to grow in love of God, love of neighbor, and love of self.

10 WAYS TO DESCRIBE YOUR PROGRESSIVE CHRISTIAN FAITH WITHOUT SAYING “BUT I’M NOT…”
I do the same with atheism. I am but, I won't dismiss data to self justify myself.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:42 PM

5,254 posts, read 1,676,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Live what you believe. People (Christians) can be respectful of others despite differences in lifestyle, morals, religion, race, etc. For me it's a matter of staying out of political/social issues that prove to be more and more divisive. This coming from a JW. One can hold to one's values without imposing on others.
I have no doubt that is your personal opinion. I have no desire to chase you around this forum and call you out for your opinion. the problem is when you identify yourself as a JW there is a code of belief you must adhere to. You know it, I know it and you are misrepresenting it. How can you make the statement that you can hold your values without imposing it on others when you shun people for waking up? Maybe you haven't personally shunned anyone and there are a small percentage of JWs who fight that rule and do not shun. You would be following your own conscience at that point and not the directive of the Governing Body. Good for you. You are not a JW when you do that. As long as you don't identify yourself as a JW when you are speaking in non JW fashion you will get no crap from me.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:53 PM

20,554 posts, read 22,721,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
"progressive Christian"

Just more confusion.

Live, Let Live.
Love.

We NEED differences and contrasts in order to learn. We NEED for people to be on all different roads and journeys... we learn from each other.
And when you try to cram yourself and others into boxes, it just seems that growth has a tendency to become stunted.
Instead of helping each other up, it's more of a pushing away "you're not like me. go away. We are different."

just my .02.

peace,
sparrow

Not really. If a group who self-identifies as evangelical and they are HATING on another group, to the point of creating rules that prohibit them from having any civil rights--then I identify with being an evangelical--90% of people would automatically ASSUME I am a hater based on my identification.

I am a life time member of the NRA, and I self-identify as progressive or old-school NRA. For years I stayed out of religious discussions because I was told a "christian" could not be a democrat, let alone an anarchist. So I stopped using the christian label and just used christian terms that would highlight my beliefs.

The whole problem is setting ourselves in a "box" or category SHOULD NOT bring about judgement.

Labels are here to stay--it is all how we chose to use them--we all identify with something--I hear very few people refer to themselves as HUMAN when asked what race do they associate with?

Try saying to some one are you XYX? When they identify as ABC and they will be insulted (many times) that any one associated them with XYZ..

It ism't the labels or identity that causes division--but the UNWILLINGNESS to accept the differences and acknowledge the INDIVIDUAL.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:52 PM

2,537 posts, read 888,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
"progressive Christian"

Just more confusion.

Live, Let Live.
Love.

just my .02.

peace,
sparrow
Yes, labels ...we have a tendency to label everything and everybody. Then again, I guess certain labels (non-derogatory) are necessary to at least distinguish one group from another.

The bolded bit ...I'd been racking my brains for ages trying to come up with the source of "take what you want and leave the rest" and, eureka, I finally recalled it! It's from the Joan Baez (Robbie Robertson) song, The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down. It's actually, "Just take what you need and leave the rest. But, they should never have taken the very best."

Just in case anyone else might have had a sleepless night wondering where they'd heard it, I came to their rescue . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or