U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 08:31 AM

20,568 posts, read 22,728,017 times

Advertisements

How many times have you started a conversation by saying “I’m Christian, but I’m not…crazy/fundamentalist/mean/convinced that there is a war on Christmas”? It is always really icky-feeling, isn’t it?

Yet, God loves us too much to leave us that way–I am a Progressive Christian because I believe that God is always pushing me to grow in love of God, love of neighbor, and love of self.

10 WAYS TO DESCRIBE YOUR PROGRESSIVE CHRISTIAN FAITH WITHOUT SAYING “BUT I’M NOT…”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 10:43 AM

21,275 posts, read 20,878,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
How many times have you started a conversation by saying “I’m Christian, but I’m not…crazy/fundamentalist/mean/convinced that there is a war on Christmas”? It is always really icky-feeling, isn’t it?

Yet, God loves us too much to leave us that way–I am a Progressive Christian because I believe that God is always pushing me to grow in love of God, love of neighbor, and love of self.

10 WAYS TO DESCRIBE YOUR PROGRESSIVE CHRISTIAN FAITH WITHOUT SAYING “BUT I’M NOT…”
That was an excellent article, but I could say pretty much the same thing, just substituting the words "I am an LDS Christian" for "I am a progressive Christian." That's not just me proselytizing; it's really how I feel.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:42 PM

850 posts, read 571,333 times
Live what you believe. People (Christians) can be respectful of others despite differences in lifestyle, morals, religion, race, etc. For me it's a matter of staying out of political/social issues that prove to be more and more divisive. This coming from a JW. One can hold to one's values without imposing on others.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That was an excellent article, but I could say pretty much the same thing, just substituting the words "I am an LDS Christian" for "I am a progressive Christian." That's not just me proselytizing; it's really how I feel.
And the difference between the two? Katzpur, Some how I feel the difference between you (LDS Christian) & LDS MORMON is similiar to the difference between me (PROGRESSIVE Christian) & evangelical fundie christian.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:26 PM

21,275 posts, read 20,878,318 times
Quote:
And the difference between the two? Katzpur, Some how I feel the difference between you (LDS Christian) & LDS MORMON is similiar to the difference between me (PROGRESSIVE Christian) & evangelical fundie christian.
With respect to #10, you may have a point, but not really with respect to any of the other points. There are still too many "isms" within the LDS Church, which I find to be truly unfortunate, but the other statements describe Mormonism fairly accurately. Progressive Christianity in your article comes across as very positive in its outlook, focusing on how we can personally grow and improve and lift one another to a higher plane. That's what I see in Mormonism. So much of Christianity today is just so depressing, with people being taught that they are a monumental disappointment to God and deserve nothing but pain, and if He chooses to save them from this awful situation they find themselves in, they're just plain lucky, cause we all deserve to burn!

Old 04-10-2016, 04:22 PM

7,258 posts, read 3,284,579 times
Quote:

Excellent article.

Fundamentalism has given "Christian" a bad name in this country, especially in our current era of SJW and anti-SJW culture warriors. Part of it can be blamed on the media. It's hard to say your a "Christian" without also claiming the baggage that goes with that. That's especially true in the Bible Belt, where a majority of people who claim Christianity are the stereotypical fundamentalists. Maybe progressive Christians need to start calling themselves something different, sort of like Catholics (who are Christians) typically refer themselves as Catholic and not Christian to distinguish themselves from Protestantism.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:26 PM

26,219 posts, read 14,100,551 times
Another attempt to divide Christ.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:34 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,340,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Christ cannot be divided.

His followers, however, do a VERY good job of finding ways to divide into camps.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
One can only attempt to divide when they reject others...

Old 04-10-2016, 04:45 PM

26,219 posts, read 14,100,551 times
Quote:
One can only attempt to divide when they reject others...
Not exactly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or