U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2016, 07:34 AM

309 posts, read 437,363 times

Advertisements

Have been in church services in the past and to funerals where the preacher (Pentecostal) will say "comeon give the Lord a hand clap of praise." How do you all feel about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 07:45 AM

3,030 posts, read 2,069,313 times
I have never been to a Pentecostal funeral - but to me, it doesn't sound appropriate.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:02 AM

2,531 posts, read 1,946,594 times
PS 47:1 "O clap your hands, all you people; shout unto God with the voice of triumph."

Old 04-11-2016, 08:23 AM

26,311 posts, read 14,170,795 times
If you want to clap - then clap. If you don't - then don't.

I guess I don't understand the real issue here.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:15 PM

1,501 posts, read 616,297 times
I prefer wave offerings, the Mexican type. They are best at 'church in the round', and with some o' dat organ music, kinda like an ice hockey game, but with a crazy brother screaming "do I see a wave offering, brothers-ah and sisters-ah?"

Old 04-12-2016, 12:15 PM

13,397 posts, read 4,293,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
Have been in church services in the past and to funerals where the preacher (Pentecostal) will say "comeon give the Lord a hand clap of praise." How do you all feel about this?
I took my Mom to a new church and me and mom started clapping and when we did, the preacher got extremely angry and stopped the music and rebuked us for doing it saying,'' That's a part of the old Testament and we don't have anything to do with those barbaric people, that's what David did.''

We sat down and he preached the entire sermon against me and my mom couldn't believe it but we stayed. In the end he began slaying people in the spirit and all of them was laying on the floor but me.

The preacher had already purposed his sermon against me in particular because somebody told him that I was going from church to church trying to get slain in the spirit because it had never happened.

I wanted to get slain in the spirit so bad and it was happening to everyone but me.

As I was walking out, the preacher reached out to shake my hand, and so we shook hands and the moment we touched, I became drunk and my knees began to give way but only for an instant.

That was the day that I no longer believed in getting slain in the spirit, I had seen it happen to a million people and it had finally happened to me in the right place, and at the right time.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:06 PM

19,952 posts, read 13,016,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
I've heard it called an "offering of praise". Personally, it always struck me as being more of applause for the singer or the band. I've also seen preachers onstage have to pause to let the congregation applaud. To me, that seems wrong. Maybe it's just me, but I don't preach to get applause. Having said that, we do have a man in our church with a Baptist background that will give me an "Amen!" on occasion, and I do enjoy hearing it. So maybe it's just me....

Old 04-12-2016, 06:27 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,946,594 times
LK 19:39 And some of the Pharisees from among the multitude said unto Him, Master, rebuke your disciples.
LK 19:40 And He answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out.

There is a time to clap and shout for the victory over sin and death. Some have lost there child like enthusiasm; a fervent spirit of joy. Jesus said, "Become like little children."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity