U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think God talks back to you when we pray?
Yes. God talks to me all of the time. 13 65.00%
No. God doesnt not speak to me in my prayers. 2 10.00%
No. God speaks to me through His Word or real life situations. 3 15.00%
God has spoken to me in an audible voice. 1 5.00%
Dont Know/Not Sure 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 01:00 PM

51,489 posts, read 50,728,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
When believers are laying on their death bed, do they ask or beg to not die?
Lying. Sorry, I can't help myself. Only ducks lay down, remember?

There's no one answer to that question because people are all different and the situations could be different. Some might ask not to die. Some might ask to die because death would be welcome. Others might just accept whatever comes.

I'm not sure therefore what point you are trying to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 01:02 PM

51,489 posts, read 50,728,421 times
There's a book by the writer Anne Lamott called "Help, Thanks, Wow", because she says those are the three types of prayers and that's how they can be summed up.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:29 PM

9,169 posts, read 2,798,860 times
Would an earthly good father have a child then never speak to it? Of course not. Then is man more righteous than G-d? Peace

Old 05-01-2016, 08:51 AM

1,579 posts, read 1,519,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
We have heard it all the time from people: The Lord spoke to me last night, The Lord told me to do it, Im doing X,Y,Z because God told me, etc.

Do you think God talks back to us when we pray?
Definitely not. Prayer is very difficult to me and most of the time I feel as if I'm wasting my time. However, by faith I understand that by the sacrifice of Jesus, my prayers are made in the presence of a Holy God who hears me. Still not a two-way conversation though. God graciously condescends to hear my stumbling speech yet the only way God speaks to any of us is through his word.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:15 AM

787 posts, read 298,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
We have heard it all the time from people: The Lord spoke to me last night, The Lord told me to do it, Im doing X,Y,Z because God told me, etc.

Do you think God talks back to us when we pray?
God talks back to us. I know it for a certainty.

The thing is that God has more than one way of communicating with people. Unfortunately most people don't even use their ears to hear. They are selective when it comes to listening, which is why God uses other methods of communication.

The wise man will pay attention to these other methods when listening for God's answers to him.

There are several basic methods by which God communicates to mankind.

1. The still small voice of the Holy Spirit. According to testimony, it's audible.
2. Circumstances. God can speak to a person through specific targeted events.
3. The Word of God. This is God's primary method of communication. Read the Bible.
4. Preaching. A man or woman who preaches from scripture. Prophecy is preaching, not fortune telling.
5. Agreement of the saints. When a body of believers commonly acknowledge that God is transmitting a message, then their testimony may be taken as a legitimate communication from heaven.

In no case is any of the above to be accepted if it does not agree with the context of scripture. For example, if a body of believers should say its ok to assault an abortion clinic and murder everyone inside their assumption of divine guidance may be rejected out of hand. Although the Holy Bible is against the murder of innocent children, scripture does not condone revenge. God has reserved vengence to Himself. One who is opposed to abortion has a duty to warn of divine judgment, not to be the vehicle of its application.

God speaks to us. The one who wants to hear His voice will discover great things.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

PS
The caveat to all this is that God will not argue with man.
He won't argue points with a sinner and He won't argue His revealed will with a believer.
Once He speaks, the Holy One becomes silent.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:39 AM

9,169 posts, read 2,798,860 times
Amen....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or