U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-14-2016, 02:57 PM
 
143 posts, read 89,317 times
Reputation: 65

Advertisements

Sometimes rules change or at least appear to change in the Bible. For instance today according to the Bible brothers and sisters should not marry and its been like that ever since it was declared that they shouldn't marry in Genesis. However, prior to that brothers and sisters did marry and it was not only acceptable but necessary since humanity started with Adam and Eve who had children and those children married each other since there was nobody else to marry. So, within the first few generations after Adam and Eve close relatives did marry and it was necessary since if they didn't humanity would die out. It can also be implied that uncles and nieces married. Cain's wife was most likely his niece. It wasn't until God said in Genesis for brothers and sisters not to marry that it became unacceptable. So, since conditions change rules sometimes change or at least appear to change along with the conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2016, 04:29 PM
 
7,871 posts, read 6,680,078 times
Reputation: 1373
Problem is a Cain`s wife was probably a animal in the field with out a soul , as this is the theological dilemma which contradicts the solar seven day creation and that Adam and Eve were not the first people in the earth ........ Sure many people in though days married their siblings , as most were bronze age people 6000 years ago ....... Still the rules from God came years later , and Moses was around 3,500 years ago when God told Him many rules for ethics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2016, 07:42 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
26,259 posts, read 14,135,452 times
Reputation: 10125
Yes... God's rules do change depending on the dispensation. Abraham did not have rules or standards for the church like we do today.

So, it's not about what the rules are from prior times. It is about what the standards are now, and will we be faithful to Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2016, 09:36 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,280 posts, read 20,917,166 times
Reputation: 9966
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Problem is a Cain`s wife was probably a animal in the field with out a soul...
Now I've heard everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2016, 09:37 PM
 
32,538 posts, read 29,385,412 times
Reputation: 32243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Now I've heard everything.
I don't know about you, but that creeped me out.

Who comes up with this stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2016, 09:56 PM
Status: "Phlegmatic." (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
23,412 posts, read 12,113,023 times
Reputation: 10674
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I don't know about you, but that creeped me out.

Who comes up with this stuff?
Religion and holy books should be restricted to adults.

That children are taught from birth via the concept of Original Sin they are worthy only of eternal damnation unless they dance to the particular tune of that particular sub-sect of Christianity should be a crime.

I predict that one day it will be.

And from that happy day forward, when organized religion sounds its death knell, mankind will continue to evolve towards fulfilling our potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2016, 12:05 AM
 
8,366 posts, read 2,756,837 times
Reputation: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Now I've heard everything.
It is a conceptual point of view. If you read scripture close enough you will see a dividing line. For example, "Do not love as cain loved." Some times 3 brothers sometimes 2. And the youngest is almost always favored.
Also some time down the line it is forbidden for someone of house to marry another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2016, 10:48 AM
 
143 posts, read 89,317 times
Reputation: 65
Well the way I see it the rules don't really change. The reason why God eventually said for brothers and sisters not to marry each other no doubt was because after so many generations proceeding Adam and Eve there was not enough genetic diversity between brother and sisters or other close relatives. With Adam and Eve's children and with the next few generations there was enough genetic diversity that it wasn't a problem for siblings to marry but after that there wasn't enough genetic diversity so that's when God said for brothers and sisters to not marry. So in a sense the rule doesn't say and never did say for brothers and sisters to not marry rather it says for people who don't have enough genetic diversity to not marry and with today's modern generations brothers and sisters would not have enough genetic diversity as its been since after a few generations proceeding Adam and Eve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2016, 10:50 AM
 
Location: GOVERNMENT of TRAITORS & NAZIS
20,598 posts, read 22,770,552 times
Reputation: 7630
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Religion and holy books should be restricted to adults.

That children are taught from birth via the concept of Original Sin they are worthy only of eternal damnation unless they dance to the particular tune of that particular sub-sect of Christianity should be a crime.

I predict that one day it will be.

And from that happy day forward, when organized religion sounds its death knell, mankind will continue to evolve towards fulfilling our potential.
I would love to see the OT in an picture book--talk about pornographic images...MY EYES ARE BURNING...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2016, 10:52 AM
 
19,952 posts, read 12,995,347 times
Reputation: 1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSteel View Post
Sometimes rules change or at least appear to change in the Bible. For instance today according to the Bible brothers and sisters should not marry and its been like that ever since it was declared that they shouldn't marry in Genesis. However, prior to that brothers and sisters did marry and it was not only acceptable but necessary since humanity started with Adam and Eve who had children and those children married each other since there was nobody else to marry. So, within the first few generations after Adam and Eve close relatives did marry and it was necessary since if they didn't humanity would die out. It can also be implied that uncles and nieces married. Cain's wife was most likely his niece. It wasn't until God said in Genesis for brothers and sisters not to marry that it became unacceptable. So, since conditions change rules sometimes change or at least appear to change along with the conditions.
Yes. Throughout history, God has dealt with different groups of people differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top