U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 08:36 AM

19,952 posts, read 13,050,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
What do you think of this idea?

I say it as a bold statement. Barely even a question. But yet I am still asking what you (non-fundamentalists) think about this statement.

We often try to justify some kind of spirituality from following Christ and his teachings. But I am saying that there is really no value in doing so. Unless we truly believe that he was/is the magical superhero that he is portrayed to be by religious people, then why even focus on one man and his supposed teachings?

There could be tons and tons of new books written from a non-fundamentalist viewpoint, but they just don't work. Not a single one of them has any value. Once a person accepts that Jesus was just a man, or possibly didn't exist, then what does it even matter anymore?
Why are you guys so fascinated by magic? I'm probably what you'd call a "fundamentalist", but I don't believe in magic, or that he is a superhero.

I've made that point on these forums many times. Yet, folks like you continue to say it. So...why do you either intentionally, or perhaps are you incapable of grasping the concept that there is no magic in Christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 09:26 AM

20,684 posts, read 22,871,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Why are you guys so fascinated by magic? I'm probably what you'd call a "fundamentalist", but I don't believe in magic, or that he is a superhero.

I've made that point on these forums many times. Yet, folks like you continue to say it. So...why do you either intentionally, or perhaps are you incapable of grasping the concept that there is no magic in Christianity.
MIRACLES--just a form of MAGIC...

Old 04-15-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
MIRACLES--just a form of MAGIC...
No. Not at all.

Completely different. Christianity does not teach magic. It's funny how much atheists seem to talk about it, though. It's like they're obsessed with it.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Anyone who believes that Jesus was just a man, and just a spiritual guide, just a teacher, one of many, is sadly mistaken. Jesus claimed to be God, and the Son of God. He claimed to be the only way to the Father. He claimed that only through Him can anyone have eternal life.

Either He is who He claimed to be, or He was the biggest liar, the biggest deceiver who has ever lived. But He is indeed who He claimed to be. And He came into the world as a member of the human race for the primary purpose of going to the cross to die for us, in our place, as our substitute, paying the penalty for our sins so that anyone who believes on Him, has eternal life.
Why call me good? There is NONE good but GOD...doesn't sound like Jesus had a god complex to me.

OR MEN wrote stupid things to make Jesus larger than life and they (writers and scribes) created this god complex?

Old 04-15-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
No. Not at all.

Completely different. Christianity does not teach magic. It's funny how much atheists seem to talk about it, though. It's like they're obsessed with it.
IDENTICAL--One says an incantation (prayer) and waits for some supernatural entity to PROVIDE or fulfill the request (prayer)--MAGIC is asking or getting what you want from an unknown or unseen deity...

Old 04-15-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
No. Not at all.

IDENTICAL--One says an incantation (prayer) and waits for some supernatural entity to PROVIDE or fulfill the request (prayer)

What about the time the staff was tossed before pharaoh and it became a snake, then the magician did the same as his staff became a snake?

Was one a miracle and the other magic?

Old 04-15-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
IDENTICAL--One says an incantation (prayer) and waits for some supernatural entity to PROVIDE or fulfill the request (prayer)--MAGIC is asking or getting what you want from an unknown or unseen deity...
Why do you claim to know what I believe more than I do?

Old 04-15-2016, 09:35 AM

26,375 posts, read 14,243,267 times
Quote:
They are incapable... 1 Corinthians 2.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:13 AM

20,360 posts, read 15,743,543 times
Quote:
Why call me good? There is NONE good but GOD...doesn't sound like Jesus had a god complex to me.

OR MEN wrote stupid things to make Jesus larger than life and they (writers and scribes) created this god complex?
Jesus wasn't denying that He was God. He was simply trying to get the man who had asked Him what he needed to do to inherit eternal life, to understand who it was he was talking to. He was in effect asking the man if he knew that He (Jesus) was God. (Matthew 19:16-17; Mark 10:17-18).

Jesus knew that He was God, and in His high priestly prayer He recognized that before the world was (in eternity past) He had the same glory that the Father had (John 17:5). Jesus existed in eternity past and had the same glory as the Father. It cannot be said of any angel that they had the glory that God the Father had.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Why do you claim to know what I believe more than I do?
Because God told me I do? Or is it possible you just have no clue what you are talking about?

I am not claiming to KNOW, I am claiming that what you teach is misleading.

And that there is no difference between MIRACLES and MAGIC, they are the same.

Have you thumped your chest today---

The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other people--robbers, evildoers, adulterers--or even like this tax collector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity