Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 04:43 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,760,890 times

Advertisements

What do you think of this idea?

I say it as a bold statement. Barely even a question. But yet I am still asking what you (non-fundamentalists) think about this statement.

We often try to justify some kind of spirituality from following Christ and his teachings. But I am saying that there is really no value in doing so. Unless we truly believe that he was/is the magical superhero that he is portrayed to be by religious people, then why even focus on one man and his supposed teachings?

There could be tons and tons of new books written from a non-fundamentalist viewpoint, but they just don't work. Not a single one of them has any value. Once a person accepts that Jesus was just a man, or possibly didn't exist, then what does it even matter anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 05:14 AM

9,664 posts, read 9,921,542 times
Actually to devalue others is the basic root of all sin which God only knows , as pride is the sin , .....Still to devalue people who have foundation of mind of Christ and without the devils ideas is still the basic root of all sin which God knows .............See You cannot label all Christian fundamentalist as wicked , only the ones which drink with the cup of antichrist and Jesus at the same time

Old 04-15-2016, 06:05 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,046,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Actually to devalue others is the basic root of all sin which God only knows , as pride is the sin , .....Still to devalue people who have foundation of mind of Christ and without the devils ideas is still the basic root of all sin which God knows .............See You cannot label all Christian fundamentalist as wicked , only the ones which drink with the cup of antichrist and Jesus at the same time
Need anyone say more?

I believe the better statement would be YOU CANNOT LABEL ALL FUNDAMENTALIST AS CHRISTIANS.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:11 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,760,890 times
I never said that fundamentalists were wicked. I'm not even really talking about fundamentalism.

I'm referring to those who follow Christ alone as a spiritual guide who was basically just a teacher. Why focus on one man, as if all the other spiritual leaders were somehow less important? As if all the other religions had no value?

Old 04-15-2016, 07:07 AM

18,422 posts, read 9,041,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I never said that fundamentalists were wicked. I'm not even really talking about fundamentalism.

I'm referring to those who follow Christ alone as a spiritual guide who was basically just a teacher. Why focus on one man, as if all the other spiritual leaders were somehow less important? As if all the other religions had no value?
I tend to agree. Liberal Christianity has little or no value beyond creating a community. It's most important function, in my view, is to oppose (and inoculate people against) fundamentalist Christianity.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:25 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,816,815 times
Quote:

"Why focus on one man" is a good question. We don't: we focus on the Way He taught and value Him as the teacher of it. Jesus promised us a Spirit in His place and our FOCUS is and should be on that Spirit as "Guide" as described by both Jesus and Paul, the foundational characteristic of that Spirit is that love in community we call "agape."

Old 04-15-2016, 07:42 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,103,804 times
Jesus wasn't a fundamentalist.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:50 AM

50,079 posts, read 20,479,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Jesus wasn't a fundamentalist.
Oh, I don't know. he used Scripture as his rationale for all his teachings - as Interpreted by him. And would be tolerant of some (while telling them not to do it again) while blisteringly critical of others (Pharisees). That might well suit Fundamentalism.
I know that Jesus had no state committee, but from his little community to councils and governments that shared his views is a small step.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:00 AM

32,884 posts, read 26,105,247 times
Anyone who believes that Jesus was just a man, and just a spiritual guide, just a teacher, one of many, is sadly mistaken. Jesus claimed to be God, and the Son of God. He claimed to be the only way to the Father. He claimed that only through Him can anyone have eternal life.

Either He is who He claimed to be, or He was the biggest liar, the biggest deceiver who has ever lived. But He is indeed who He claimed to be. And He came into the world as a member of the human race for the primary purpose of going to the cross to die for us, in our place, as our substitute, paying the penalty for our sins so that anyone who believes on Him, has eternal life.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:02 AM

45,257 posts, read 26,754,393 times
Quote:
We often try to justify some kind of spirituality from following Christ and his teachings. But I am saying that there is really no value in doing so. Unless we truly believe that he was/is the magical superhero that he is portrayed to be by religious people, then why even focus on one man and his supposed teachings?

There could be tons and tons of new books written from a non-fundamentalist viewpoint, but they just don't work. Not a single one of them has any value. Once a person accepts that Jesus was just a man, or possibly didn't exist, then what does it even matter anymore?

Coming from an unbeliever (using this term as a matter of fact, not in a derogatory manner) - I think you are on point with your logic.

The challenge will be getting those currently wired to oppose "fundamentalists" to think outside the box - as what occurred in the early responses above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity