U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2016, 06:33 AM

2,663 posts, read 1,392,200 times

Advertisements

Immediately after the "death" of Enoch God said:
Quote:
My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be 120 years
120 years later it began raining for 40 days

See:
At-a-glance/The Bible/201 - Religion-wiki - Wikia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 12:18 PM

1,335 posts, read 805,998 times
We know from Genesis 5 that Enoch walked with God, for three hundred years, after he begat Methuselah.

One of the accepted translations of Methuselah is, "When he is dead, it shall be sent." (One source for this translation: "Jones' Dictionary of Old Testament Proper Names.")

"It" refers to the Great Flood, and, true to this prophetic naming, Methuselah died in the year of the flood.

Given the prophetic meaning of the name given to his child, it seems that Enoch had a revelatory experience from God leading him to walk faithfully with God for 300 years.

It is interesting to think about all the generations alive at this time -- imagine Methuselah being able to go and talk to his great great great great grandfather Adam and learn about what life was like in the garden before the fall.

Enoch was the first person to ever be raptured ("taken up") as a reward for his three centuries of walking faithfully with God. Some resources I read noted that 365 years was quite a short life span compared to his peers, because he was raptured far ahead of when he would have died naturally.

Hebrews 11:5, "By faith Enoch was taken up so that he would not see death; and he was not found because God took him up; for he obtained the witness that before his being taken up he was pleasing to God." <Referencing Genesis 5:24, "Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him.">

Enoch was a prophet in his own right, but from what I can tell, those writings are not considered canonical by most religious traditions, but on the other hand from what I have read Enoch was written about a fair amount in the LDS canon, for example.

In looking at the Bible, we can see in Jude a brief excerpt of Enoch's prophecies regarding the Messiah, apparently from the apocryphal first book of Encoh. Jude 14-15 "It was also about these men that Enoch, in the seventh generation from Adam, prophesied, saying, 'Behold, the Lord came with many thousands of His holy ones, to execute judgment upon all, and to convict all the ungodly of all their ungodly deeds which they have done in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him.'”

I am not learned enough to discuss the apocryphal Books of Enoch as I only recently learned ever took the time to ponder Enoch. But I do understand that despite his very small role in the Bible -- only eight lines, I believe -- there is a lot to consider about Enoch.

I would welcome anyone's thoughts and beliefs/opinions about Enoch.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:42 PM

1,502 posts, read 617,333 times
I've always aspired to be like Enoch. I mean walking with God and being translated into the spiritual realm, rather than dying, ...cool. I believe he started his new phase after his first child - we've just had our 4th and I'm not feeling exceptionally light yet!, But I'm not 60 yet or into my hundreds - proportionally, I am however past 60 though - we are probably expected to be faster learners these days.

I would re-iterate my belief in his translation into the spirit realm and disappearance of his body, just like Jesus at the ascension. Yep, Jesus did not believe in death, and he certainly displayed that in his final exit from corporeal life. I think it's safe to declare in these last days that as the company of people grows who also don't believe in death, there will be an increasing number of people who don't taste death, but will also be translated in like manner, and there won't be any body left behind. And I'm not talking about the escapist rapture theory here - no one's coming back to set up a physical kingdom and rule - that would be by 'observation' and we have already been told that the kingdom is in the heart - that's where God dwells - we must believe that He does dwell there-in.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:33 PM

10,208 posts, read 10,589,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
Immediately after the "death" of Enoch God said:

120 years later it began raining for 40 days

See:
At-a-glance/The Bible/201 - Religion-wiki - Wikia
Your quote means God would shorten men's lives to a maximum of 120 years so obviously a few souls were living to that ripe old age. Even today it's practically impossible to get past 120 years old.

Quote:
Most living species have at least one upper limit on the number of times cells can divide. This is called the Hayflick limit, although number of cell divisions does not strictly control lifespan (non-dividing cells and dividing cells lived over 122 years in the oldest known human).

Old 09-19-2016, 08:50 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,272,654 times
Enoch is certainly a fascinating topic but he's been heavily edited out of the KJV and most people will not consider the non-canonized texts reliable .

Old 09-19-2016, 09:11 PM

13,429 posts, read 4,302,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
I've always aspired to be like Enoch. I mean walking with God and being translated into the spiritual realm, rather than dying, ...cool. I believe he started his new phase after his first child - we've just had our 4th and I'm not feeling exceptionally light yet!, But I'm not 60 yet or into my hundreds - proportionally, I am however past 60 though - we are probably expected to be faster learners these days.

I would re-iterate my belief in his translation into the spirit realm and disappearance of his body, just like Jesus at the ascension. Yep, Jesus did not believe in death, and he certainly displayed that in his final exit from corporeal life. I think it's safe to declare in these last days that as the company of people grows who also don't believe in death, there will be an increasing number of people who don't taste death, but will also be translated in like manner, and there won't be any body left behind. And I'm not talking about the escapist rapture theory here - no one's coming back to set up a physical kingdom and rule - that would be by 'observation' and we have already been told that the kingdom is in the heart - that's where God dwells - we must believe that He does dwell there-in.
Good post.

Many compare Enoch to Elijah, Moses and Aaron.

Elijah is taken out of a person, he is taken out of the way when a person becomes a new creature.

Moses had to die on his mountain as Aaron had his.

Then came Joshua.

My father, my father, the chariots of Israel and the horsemen thereof.

Hopefully, we can see Elijah taken from us, and hopefully, we will see when he is taken.

Elisha will remain, and from the grave of Elisha, a man is resurrected.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:47 PM

4,457 posts, read 1,046,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post

IMO, the translation of Enoch is a visible example of the rapture of the church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or